The "Three E's" head the class at tight end

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
From JT of the Post-Dispatch:

In this year’s draft, the “E” in TE stands for Eifert, Ertz and Escobar.

That would be Notre Dame’s Tyler Eifert, Stanford’s Zach Ertz and San Diego State’s Gavin Escobar. Together, they look like the three best tight ends in the draft, with Eifert and Ertz potential first-round picks.

All three are around 6-foot-5 to 6-6; all weigh 250 give or take a couple pounds. And all turned pro early.

In an age in which the best tight ends can catch the ball, run well and move around the formation, the “Three E’s” all appear to have what it takes to have successful NFL careers. And if they can hold their own as blockers, even better.

“I’m lucky to be coming in at a time where the type of tight end that I am is being used quite a bit,” Eifert said, adding that he is effective “in the passing game, but also a guy that can stay in the game on every down and can also block. Create mismatch problems in the passing game.”

It is Eifert’s blocking ability, in part, that seems to have gotten him ranked ahead of Ertz and Escobar. Not that Eifert has turned into a road grader, but he’s getting there.

“That has been what everyone said I was lacking,” Eifert said. “So I’ve spent a lot of time working on my blocking with coaches, working on the technique things, the little things, the footwork, hand placement.

“I think I’m better. I’m still not where I want to be.”

Catching passes, on the other hand, never has been a problem for Eifert, Ertz or Escobar.

Eifert won the Mackey Award as college football’s top tight end in 2012, with 50 catches for 685 yards. He actually was more productive in 2011, when he led the nation’s tight ends — and set Notre Dame tight end records —for catches (63) and yards (803).

Eifert played on the line of scrimmage and in the slot and was even flexed out wide. He can catch the ball in traffic and with 4.65 speed can get down the field to create mismatches with linebackers.

Ertz has a similar skill set. He took the receiving title away from Eifert last season, leading the nation’s tight ends in catches (69)and yards (898). He was timed just a blink of an eye slower than Eifert, running a 4.67-second 40 at Stanford’s pro day. And both prospects logged vertical leaps of 35½ inches during the pre-draft process.

So if you’re looking for a tight end in this draft, who do you take first?

Eifert or Ertz?

“Both those kids are what today’s tight ends are all about,” said NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock. “An ability to move around and do different things. They’re both big enough to line up in-line if you asked them to.

“Now, I thought that Eifert did a better job blocking this year than he did in past years and a little better job than Ertz did, who was more of a move guy.”

Even so, Ertz takes a lot of pride in his run-blocking after playing in a pro-style offense at Stanford, for which teammate Levine Toilulu was more of the blocking tight end.

“He was more of the in-line guy per se, but I don’t want to say that I didn’t do it at all,” Ertz said. “I had my hand in the dirt a lot. Being from Stanford, we were a run-first team, so I think that kind of helped me in that aspect.”

Escobar, who caught 122 passes for 1,646 yards and 17 touchdowns in three seasons at San Diego State, has been getting the same kinds of questions from scouts about his blocking prowess.

“I think some people look past my blocking ability because of my pass-catching ability,” Escobar said. “It’s something I’m willing to do and I’m always working hard to get better at.”

But make no mistake, at the end of the day the Three E’s will make their mark in the NFL based on what they do catching passes.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Mayock is always a little to a lot biased towards Notre Dame guys. Other than that, he's one of the most solid guys out there.