The Tao of Chip Kelly

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I don't think anyone would argue that Kelly isn't an egomaniac... just like Martz was.
Why do you say Martz is an egomaniac? Where, exactly, does this reference come from? I've never heard any of the Ram players who played under Mike say anything like this, except for that D-lineman who supposedly choked Mike - forget the players name.
And I'm not sure where you are getting that Martz "gets all kinds of crap". If anything, he seems to be held in very high regard as far as his innovation
Are you kidding me. You just called teh guy an egomaniac. Isn't that derogatory? He gets a bad wrap from Stl media and fans all the time.
If Rams fans take issue with Martz on anything, it's his draft record. I'm afraid I have to agree with those fans... he reached far too many times (maybe that egomaniac thing... I dunno).
Do we really know how much influence Mike had on those picks? Did you forget who was in the front office at the time? Why are they not to blame?
Great offensive mind... terrible drafter. Set the franchise back years with those drafts, IMO.
Again, more supposition where we really don't have the facts to back it up. It's as if the Stl media says it enough times than it sticks, and there is no questioning it's validity.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why do you say Martz is an egomaniac? Where, exactly, does this reference come from? I've never heard any of the Ram players who played under Mike say anything like this, except for that D-lineman who supposedly choked Mike - forget the players name.

Are you kidding me. You just called teh guy an egomaniac. Isn't that derogatory? He gets a bad wrap from Stl media and fans all the time.

Do we really know how much influence Mike had on those picks? Did you forget who was in the front office at the time? Why are they not to blame?

Again, more supposition where we really don't have the facts to back it up. It's as if the Stl media says it enough times than it sticks, and there is no questioning it's validity.
Maybe my memory is getting much worse... but I can recall lots of references to Martz being an egomaniac (or descriptions to that effect). You remember him as collaborative? He didn't do things his way? Max-Q and all? Arrogant was another word often used to describe him.

I'm not going to get into an argument over this... the descriptions of the man have been recorded for all to see. You say there weren't any reports of such... I know there were. Guess we'll disagree on that one.

Again, I recall Martz having a big say in those picks. I distinctly remember him advocating the Jacoby Shepard and Eric Crouch selections. Others, like Canidate (another one he fell in love with), Lewis, Polley, Thomas, Kennedy, Pinoisomoa...

From 2000 - 2003, the Rams had 10 picks in rounds 1 & 2. Check them out... most were duds. The FO was not to blame because, again, the reports I remember said Martz wanted the make the calls. Shaw and Ziggy were already in check-out mode.

I think comparing Kelly to Martz is very fair.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So where does that leave our head coach?

For the average NFL fan, not you or anyone else here at ROD, his record speaks of mediocrity. But when one considers his team's move from Texas to Tennessee, a terrible owner, and then on to the St. Louis Rams which was a dumpster fire when he got here and now at least has some respectability, his won-loss record is quite understandable. In fact, it's pretty decent all things considered.

A team's personality eventually takes on the personality of its head coach if he's there long enough. Fisher's teams always have a rep for playing chippy and tough down to the last whistle. I wish we had more wins but hopefully there are no longer teams that see us on their schedule and mark it down as an automatic win. Fisher has taken us from a laughingstock to a team that you don't want to overlook. Just ask the Broncos, Colts, Seahawks, 49ers, and a few other teams about that.

As far as Mike Martz is concerned, the truth is that I was relieved when he left the team, something that I have regretted ever since. Martz, his quirkiness, and his front office feud had become the center of attention instead of the team. Would love to have him back as an OC but not as the head coach.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For the average NFL fan, not you or anyone else here at ROD, his record speaks of mediocrity.
I guess when I saw that post, it came across as the poster believing that the record is the means of evaluating a head coach... so I asked.
I'd still like his opinion on whether a coach is "always [that will be] measured in wins and losses"

But when one considers his team's move from Texas to Tennessee, a terrible owner, and then on to the St. Louis Rams which was a dumpster fire when he got here and now at least has some respectability, his won-loss record is quite understandable. In fact, it's pretty amazing.
I'm not the biggest Fisher fan... maybe because of that next paragraph (not a fan of the word "chippy"... seems to get used a lot when unnecessary personal fouls result... "oh, they're just being chippy").
It's a very fine line between chippy and playing dirty... and I can't support dirty.
But, he has improved on his absolutely terrible predecessor. I am really hoping (read expecting) a winning record this year. It's time, as best I can tell.

A team's personality eventually takes on the personality of its head coach if he's there long enough. Fisher's teams always have a rep for playing chippy and tough down to the last whistle. I wish we had more wins but hopefully there are no longer teams that see us on their schedule and mark it down as an automatic win. Fisher has taken us from a laughingstock to a team that you don't want to overlook.
Yes, he has... and should be commended fot that. But we're going into year 4 now... lots of draft picks... free agency signings... like I said, I think it's time now... you?

As far as Mike Martz is concerned, the truth is that I was relieved when he left the team, something that I have regretted ever since. Martz, is quirkiness, and his front office feud had become the center of attention instead of the team. Would love to have him back as an OC but not as the head coach.
I agree. As an OC, he was/would be fine. But as a head coach? I'd pass (and so has every NFL team ever since he left STL). There just has to be a reason why, even having experienced some success in stints since he left, that he always end up unemployed again... thoughts?

MrMotes

Starter

Just compare the 2005 draft to the 2006 draft and it becomes clear how strong your point is.

MrMotes

Starter
Martz had final say on players, this has been rehashed many times. He made the final call, nobody else.

Regardless, the team and drafting got far worse after he was fired. Mike Martz was the only thing holding that dysfunctional organization together and he wasn't exactly a pillar of strength in that regard...

Last edited: