The State of the Rams Locker Room

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
I don't think any locker room is perfect or even close to it. 53 alpha dawgs is a tough one to manage. That being said, my gut says everything is fine. McVay carries himself well and it seems the Rams treat players well.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Name a successful franchise in the salary cap era and there will be a laundry list of great players who departed that franchise. It’s just a reality of the business.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I’m at peace with this off-season so far.

Wade and Bones did not deserve to be extended.

O’Connell (or someone much like him) had to be hired to take things off McVay’s too crowded plate.

Hate to see good players/teammates walk, but the cap makes it inevitable.

Actually, I pretty much predicted and recommended all of the above so hell yeah, I approve of the overall strategy.

Know what? After a shrewd FA involving 2nd/3rd tier players followed by a good draft, I predict a SB contending team after this ‘pruning’ process on coaches and certain players.

It’s gone as I’ve expected, so far too.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
The radical turnover this year was both inevitable and prudent. It’s natural for outsiders to fear what they don’t understand. This includes me. Without being in the rooms where the Rams braintrust operate, all we can do is speculate. Whether it’s the loss of games or personnel, losses hurt more than wins satisfy. Those who fear loss or are diminished by it are not long for success. I’ve experienced this principle many times in business and life.

Here’s what we do know. Snead has the ability to be bold, creative, and effective throughout the draft and even into undrafted free agency. McVay rememberers every play and situation so his evaluations are thorough. McVay is also well read in terms of organizational leadership. I said this two years ago and I feel vindicated today...there were times in 2018 that he had to defer to Phillips when he himself felt there were things that needed to change about the defense but he was prudent to support and observe.

With that said, it’s still early in the offseason. The final state of the linebacker corps and offensive line is a mystery. The plan of attack on offense will be more diverse and somewhat restructured. Snead’s “hidden gems” like Rapp last year will be kept close to the vest. I, for one, look for clues about the new plan and am determined to enjoy the journey without lamenting the sensational.

AlphaRam

Rookie
Name a successful franchise in the salary cap era and there will be a laundry list of great players who departed that franchise. It’s just a reality of the business.
Exactly. That's what separates a mediocre organization from a great one. Teams like New England, Baltimore and Seattle consistently lose key players and then draft and coach up new ones and the cycle repeats. In the salary cap era its impossible to keep your best players and all of your good ones. That's why the draft is so critical to a teams success.