The Spring League

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Owners represent the league, there is no way for them to engage in a different football league without involving the CBA. Its just not possible.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The real answer to college football's and the NFL's problem, is College Football itself. College players rightfully grouse about not getting paid while the college itself and it's HC's make millions. The students themselves, mostly don't care about college and the professors at University, a lot of which resent the football program for its power within the University.

The real answer is to eliminate college football, and make an NFL sanctioned semi-pro league. Make it like the minors in baseball, and take away the BS idea of amateur athletics at university. The NFL would finally have a pipeline of lower level coaching and playing talent, that is invested in training players in NFL-like systems, and guys like Kurt Warner who are not quite ready for the NFL, get developed.
Lol
You know how many kids play college football? There has to be over 300 schools in Div 1 and 1aa alone. Then there's the lower levels
And only 200 or so get drafted.
There are many (most) kids who play football with no intention to ever play pro but to earn a degree....

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Unfortunately for him, the NFL doesn't have quality control when it comes to employed coaches.
Fisher may not have done well with Goff once he got to L.A., but he had nothing to do with the fact that Goff hadn't taken a snap under center or called a play in a huddle his entire career at Cal. As far as NFL development is concerned, that isn't working.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher may not have done well with Goff once he got to L.A., but he had nothing to do with the fact that Goff hadn't taken a snap under center or called a play in a huddle his entire career at Cal. As far as NFL development is concerned, that isn't working.
Worked fine for Prescott and Wentz though....

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
Worked fine for Prescott and Wentz though....
Wentz is debatable. Even he came out of college with issues. Either way, this type of league is more about developing guys who aren't receiving NFL reps or need to learn NFL offense and defense. College programs are going to teach shotgun spread and air raid offenses because they work at that level. What 90% of colleges aren't doing is providing game experience with NFL style gameplay.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol
You know how many kids play college football? There has to be over 300 schools in Div 1 and 1aa alone. Then there's the lower levels
And only 200 or so get drafted.
There are many (most) kids who play football with no intention to ever play pro but to earn a degree....
I know the ones that don't participate in class discussions...the same ones that joke about getting "D's" on exams....Not all, but MANY that I have seen act this way...As for how many get drafted, has that stopped the majority from dreaming of being one of the "200"? Of course I know the limited number even make the practice squad, only to be cut come the regular season, but if the kids I know at university, academics are just a hurdle to playing football/sports.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know the ones that don't participate in class discussions...the same ones that joke about getting "D's" on exams....Not all, but MANY that I have seen act this way...As for how many get drafted, has that stopped the majority from dreaming of being one of the "200"? Of course I know the limited number even make the practice squad, only to be cut come the regular season, but if the kids I know at university, academics are just a hurdle to playing football/sports.
There's like 100 kids on a D1 college team and yeah, maybe 10% of them aren't serious about their education. Heck even if 50% aren't serious the numbers are staggering

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
They do get paid. It's called scholarships and free education. As far as academics go, it's up college to make sure their sports players are serious. Many will not be able to play if they don't maintain a 2.0 average. You only need that to graduate.

Ram65

Legend
I still think the best idea I've seen was a league that stocked teams based on ex-NCAA affiliation. I imagine fans would enjoy a developmental team based in LA stocked with USC, UCLA, UCSD players taking on a team in Texas with players from Texas, Texas A&M, etc.

That's an interesting idea. It may have to be more regional to get enough quality players for each team but, it is a nice angle. I don't know if it would generate enough money on it's own. There is so much competition for sports dollars. Late winter and early spring would be the time. Make it affordable for families and maybe enough would come out. Lot's of families can't afford live sports in either Pros or NCAA. It's a shame because the list of players from the Europe league is strong. I don't get this spring league with the vets.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's like 100 kids on a D1 college team and yeah, maybe 10% of them aren't serious about their education. Heck even if 50% aren't serious the numbers are staggering
I'll concede that I may be getting a higher percentage of the 10-50%, since I am getting a history degree, and for many jocks getting the obligatory teaching degree for history, puts us in the same classes at times. I am a beyond serious student, never having gotten less than a 4.0 in my upper level course-work, so I don't respect the process right now...jmho.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll concede that I may be getting a higher percentage of the 10-50%, since I am getting a history degree, and for many jocks getting the obligatory teaching degree for history, puts us in the same classes at times. I am a beyond serious student, never having gotten less than a 4.0 in my upper level course-work, so I don't respect the process right now...jmho.
That's great, and good for you man.
I worked as a tutor for 10 years at Rutgers and spent many an hour working with kids who had no ambition to be pros, were never going to step on the field as a starter and studied like crazy just to get B's and C's but made the most of their scholarships and got an education they never would have had a chance to get had they not excelled at sports.
We are coming at this from very different angles....

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
College players don't get paid? What does it cost for 4 years of tuition? They don't pay a dime of that with a full football scholarship. Some of them end up with a Bachelors degree and still can't even spell.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...erson-terry-shea-among-spring-league-coaches/

Donnie Henderson, Terry Shea among Spring League coaches
Posted by Mike Florio on March 30, 2017

182388562-e1490885281429.jpg
Getty Images

The Spring League, a six-game (not six weeks, six games) experiment will be launched next week in West Virginia, with a cradle-to-grave campaign that will be done in a matter of weeks, with the last game happening the day before the draft begins. The fledgling league previously has released a list of players; some of the coaches are now known.

According to the Spring League, the coaching staffs will include Donnie Henderson, Terry Shea, Steve Fairchild, and Denny Creehan. It’s unclear whether they will be the four head coaches for the teams that will be playing in the league, or whether they will simply be members of the coaching staffs that are being compiled.

Henderson, former Jets and Lions defensive coordinator who once was on the short list of potential head coaches, spent 2013 through 2016 with the Bills, as the defensive backs coach.

Shea, a former offensive coordinator of the Bears (in 2004) and quarterbacks coach with the Chiefs, Dolphins, and Rams, has not coached at the NFL or major-college level since 2008.

Fairchild, the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach of the Rams for 2003 through 2005 and offensive coordinator of the Bills in 2006-07, was out of football in 2016 after three years at Virginia.

Training camp opens next week at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs. The games start on April 15.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...shaw-kellen-winslow-arrive-for-spring-league/

Greg Hardy, Ahmad Bradshaw, Kellen Winslow arrive for Spring League
Posted by Mike Florio on April 6, 2017

The Spring League, the newest developmental football league has officially launched, sort of. Players have convened at The Greenbrier in West Virginia for training camp in advance of an April 15 kickoff to the six-game season.

According to a spokesman for the league has informed PFT that the following former NFL players are in attendance: defensive end Greg Hardy, running back Ahmad Bradshaw, tight end Kellen Winslow, quarterback McLeod Bethel-Thompson, running back Ben Taint, and quarterback Ricky Stanzi.

These and other players are doing all they can to play the game they love, because according to the league’s website they’re not getting paid. Instead, they get lodging and meals for the duration of the season, which actually will end in only 20 days.

The games end one day before the draft. Anyone who stands out could then be added, in theory, to an NFL offseason roster as OTAs approach.