The Spring League

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.thespringleague.com/

1. What is The Spring League?

The Spring League, is an instructional league that was created in part to serve as a developmental platform and showcase for professional football talent. The Spring League conducts its season each year during the month of April.

2. Where does The Spring League take place?

The Greenbrier Resort in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia will serve as the official headquarters for The Spring League. The Greenbrier has served as the training camp and practice site for the New Orleans Saints, New England Patriots and Arizona Cardinals.

This NFL caliber facility features three outdoor practice fields (2 natural grass, 1 synthetic turf) along with a state of the art sports performance center that contains lockers, meeting rooms and an Olympic weight room.

Note: All practices and games conducted by The Spring League are open to viewing by employees of the NFL, CFL and Arena Football League.

3. How many teams are in The Spring League?

The inaugural 2017 season will consist of four teams.

4. How many games are in The Spring League’s season?

During the 2017 season, a total of six games will be played.

5. Is The Spring League affiliated with the NFL?

No. However, The Spring League provides all player data, including game film, roster information and statistics to all NFL member clubs. The Spring League hopes to establish an “official” relationship with the NFL in the future.

6. Are the games televised?

Yes. All games will be televised nationally.

7. Who are the coaches for The Spring League?

The Spring League has hired some of the best teachers and instructors in all of football. In fact, all of our head coaches, along with their respective staffs, have NFL coaching experience.

8. How many players are on a roster?

The Spring League utilizes a 40-man game day roster for its teams.

9. Are any of the rules in The Spring League that differ from the rules in the NFL?

Yes. The Spring League is committed to making the game of football safer for players at all levels. The League will utilize new technologies and experiment with existing game rules to demonstrate their effectiveness.

For the 2017 season, the following rule modifications will be in place:

• Cut blocks are prohibited.

• New Kickoff format: The Spring League utilizes a kickoff format which aims to reduce the likelihood of high impact collisions.

• A unique overtime format will be tested.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...slow-brandon-browner-headed-to-spring-league/

Greg Hardy, Kellen Winslow, Brandon Browner headed to Spring League
Posted by Mike Florio on March 22, 2017

A new spring league launches next month at The Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, West Virginia. Coincidentally, it’s called The Spring League. And it will feature some recognizable names right out of the gates.

Former NFL players Greg Hardy, Kellen Winslow Jr., Brandon Browner, and Ben Taint have committed to the effort, according to a press release from The Spring League. Camp opens on April 5, with a six-game schedule that will be completed before the NFL draft begins.

The games will be played on April 15, April 16, April 22, April 23, April 25, and April 26. Based on that schedule, it’s apparently a four-team league.

Owned by new West Virginia Governor Jim Justice, The Greenbrier built a football facility for the Saints in 2014. After spending three training camps there, the Saints decided to remain in Louisiana for 2017. The Texans will train there instead.

The NFL desperately needs a developmental league that gives young players (especially quarterbacks) a chance to learn via game repetitions. Since the demise of NFL Europe (which had nearly as many names as seasons it played), the league has had nothing. The Spring League will be something; the question is whether it can do enough to survive.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I'd heard some rumblings about this. I am still shocked the NFL has never pushed some type of new non-competing league to develop talent.

I still think the best idea I've seen was a league that stocked teams based on ex-NCAA affiliation. I imagine fans would enjoy a developmental team based in LA stocked with USC, UCLA, UCSD players taking on a team in Texas with players from Texas, Texas A&M, etc.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...eads-the-group-of-spring-league-quarterbacks/

Ricky Stanzi leads the group of Spring League quarterbacks
Posted by Mike Florio on March 22, 2017

122196166-e1490198628225.jpg
Getty Images

More names are emerging of players who have committed to The Spring League, a six-game (games, not teams) experiment that will unfold next month in West Virginia.

Beyond the former NFL players named earlier today (Greg Hardy, Kellen Winslow, Jr., Brandon Browner, Ben Taint), more than 20 players with experience on NFL active rosters and/or practice squads will participate in the league.

The quarterback position will be represented by Ricky Stanzi, a fifth-round pick of the Chiefs in 2011 who spent several years in the league but never played in a regular-season game.

Other names that you may remember include receiver Brandon Gibson, receiver Jalen Saunders, receiver David Nelson, cornerback Ellis Lankster, defensive tackle Sam Montgomery, defensive tackle Quanterus Smith, and running back Josh Robinson.

The other quarterbacks currently known include former Georgia quarterback Hutson Mason, and former Cal/Fresno State quarterback Zach Kline. They’ll need several more, given the apparent plan to field four teams.

The Spring League opens training camp on April 5. All games will be completed by April 26.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I really like the idea here. I just feel sorry for the underachieving sap o-lineman that has to attempt to block Greg Hardy.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd heard some rumblings about this. I am still shocked the NFL has never pushed some type of new non-competing league to develop talent.

I still think the best idea I've seen was a league that stocked teams based on ex-NCAA affiliation. I imagine fans would enjoy a developmental team based in LA stocked with USC, UCLA, UCSD players taking on a team in Texas with players from Texas, Texas A&M, etc.
NFL cant be attached to it without the collective bargaining agreement/players union getting involved

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Where do I sign up? Lol

Seriously though, why just veterans? What haven't we seen from them yet? Get some guys to try out who have little to no college experience but want a chance to get into the NFL.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Where do I sign up? Lol

TheSpringLeague_WEBWH.jpg

https://www.thespringleague.com/faq

Who is eligible to participate in The Spring League?

An applicant must have been eligible during a previous year's NFL Draft (2016 draft class or earlier) in order to be eligible for participation in The Spring League.

How can I try out for The Spring League?

The Spring League was created in part to provide additional opportunities for players who may have been overlooked by the NFL, CFL and other professional football leagues. Those wishing to be considered for a roster spot in The Spring League must submit an online application, along with their stats and game film (if applicable), and pay the required nonrefundable application fee. The 2017 season is limited to 160 players.

How much is the application fee?

$350.00

Is there a deadline to submit my application?

The Spring League will continue to accept applications until all positions are filled.To be given priority consideration for the 2017 season, you should submit your application ON OR BEFORE JANUARY 31, 2017.

Will I receive compensation if I’m accepted into The Spring League?

Each player that is accepted into The Spring League receives housing along with daily meals.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
TheSpringLeague_WEBWH.jpg

https://www.thespringleague.com/faq

Who is eligible to participate in The Spring League?

An applicant must have been eligible during a previous year's NFL Draft (2016 draft class or earlier) in order to be eligible for participation in The Spring League.

How can I try out for The Spring League?

The Spring League was created in part to provide additional opportunities for players who may have been overlooked by the NFL, CFL and other professional football leagues. Those wishing to be considered for a roster spot in The Spring League must submit an online application, along with their stats and game film (if applicable), and pay the required nonrefundable application fee. The 2017 season is limited to 160 players.

How much is the application fee?

$350.00

Is there a deadline to submit my application?

The Spring League will continue to accept applications until all positions are filled.To be given priority consideration for the 2017 season, you should submit your application ON OR BEFORE JANUARY 31, 2017.

Will I receive compensation if I’m accepted into The Spring League?

Each player that is accepted into The Spring League receives housing along with daily meals.
@Prime Time whats it like to be the GOAT

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Other names that you may remember include receiver Brandon Gibson, receiver Jalen Saunders, receiver David Nelson, cornerback Ellis Lankster, defensive tackle Sam Montgomery, defensive tackle Quanterus Smith, and running back Josh Robinson.

I thought Quanterus Smith had some real potential to stick in the NFL.

We all know about Brandon Gibson.

I think they would be better off without washed up NFL players and stick to younger guys.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The real answer to college football's and the NFL's problem, is College Football itself. College players rightfully grouse about not getting paid while the college itself and it's HC's make millions. The students themselves, mostly don't care about college and the professors at University, a lot of which resent the football program for its power within the University.

The real answer is to eliminate college football, and make an NFL sanctioned semi-pro league. Make it like the minors in baseball, and take away the BS idea of amateur athletics at university. The NFL would finally have a pipeline of lower level coaching and playing talent, that is invested in training players in NFL-like systems, and guys like Kurt Warner who are not quite ready for the NFL, get developed.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
The real answer to college football's and the NFL's problem, is College Football itself. College players rightfully grouse about not getting paid while the college itself and it's HC's make millions. The students themselves, mostly don't care about college and the professors at University, a lot of which resent the football program for its power within the University.

The real answer is to eliminate college football, and make an NFL sanctioned semi-pro league. Make it like the minors in baseball, and take away the BS idea of amateur athletics at university. The NFL would finally have a pipeline of lower level coaching and playing talent, that is invested in training players in NFL-like systems, and guys like Kurt Warner who are not quite ready for the NFL, get developed.

Agreed 100% with the first part, but you lost me with that second part. Football started as a college sport, and it won't be going anywhere anytime soon. It just brings in way too much money for major universities.

Baseball does all three: college, semi-pro and pro. The problem with having a football developmental league is there'd be little to no offseason for the players that got brough up, and thats not good for a contact sport; you can't really have a developmental leagues season coincide with CFB and the NFL's season.

My take:

College football players should get paid, but when you open that can of worms, you have to discuss whether it's a flat rate across schools, a percentage based on the program, should schools or should the NCAA handle it, etc.

For the NFL, just make the preseason July/August, and call it a developmental league. Pretty much what the end of TC and preseason is anyways.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agreed 100% with the first part, but you lost me with that second part. Football started as a college sport, and it won't be going anywhere anytime soon. It just brings in way too much money for major universities.

Baseball does all three: college, semi-pro and pro. The problem with having a football developmental league is there'd be little to no offseason for the players that got brough up, and thats not good for a contact sport; you can't really have a developmental leagues season coincide with CFB and the NFL's season.

My take:

College football players should get paid, but when you open that can of worms, you have to discuss whether it's a flat rate across schools, a percentage based on the program, should schools or should the NCAA handle it, etc.

For the NFL, just make the preseason July/August, and call it a developmental league. Pretty much what the end of TC and preseason is anyways.

If I remember correctly, NFL Europe players that got "brought up", also had a problem with playing two leagues (too much contact football) in the first year. Also, let there be fluidity of practice squad guys being able to go back down to the team's semi-pro regional team to learn more, and the mother club could retain players. I think this could extend career's and give guys that are cut from NFL rosters another chance to get better and make another NFL squad, later.They could make this semi pro league play at anytime during the year...
As for college, it's a pet peeve of mine...I have returned to college to get a degree, and watch the college players act like they own the world, and they could give holy hot d@mn about getting a real degree. College football should be like Harvard and Yale, where education is more important than sports boosters and their needs...Make college a mandatory 4 year commitment if they really want to get a degree....and make the semi-pro leagues more sexy, regional leagues with rivalries that are every bit as much fun as college football. Athletics in college are supposed to be amateur-like, and current college football is anything but that.

Last edited: