The Soccer Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Kingpin? How do you leapfrog the ONLY bowling movie masterpiece?

biglebowskibowling.jpg

Is everybody forgetting about "The Wanderers"?
That movie has what is probably my favorite bowling related scene (along with the awesome football game/rumble scene at the end).

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
WTF has happened here? Why are there 3 pages of soccer talk? lol

Flipper_336

Starter
Name
Carl
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
WTF has happened here? Why are there 3 pages of soccer talk? lol
Probably because soccer is the most popular sport on a global scale.

:razz:

Anyone see the Ballon d'Or presentation earlier today? Ronaldo deserved it: he's been outstanding all year.

Name
JP
I've had a look through and there isn't a dedicated association football thread on this site, so I thought it'd be a good idea to get one going.

Nail your colours to the mast and let's get some good friendly rivalry going!

I'm a Liverpool fan and have been since I was six. It's been tough for the last twenty years or so (with the glorious exception of Istanbul) but the signs are that we're on our way back under Brendan Rodgers and we've got the nucleus of a young squad capable of going places, so long as the refs give us a fair chance- which wasn't the case in the recent games against Manchester City and Chelsea.

For those of you in the US who think that NFL officials are biased, you should try watching Barclays Premier League matches. The officiating can be so one-sided that you just have to laugh.

Anyway, are there any more soccer fans out there in ROD-land?

My roommate in college is from England and his dad still lives there. I played soccer my whole life, but never really followed it until college because he was always watching the games. He is a huge West Brom fan, so I have enjoyed watching them play. They had a very good, surprising year last year.

Got him this for his birthday last year, signed by the entire team....

2zg6vbk.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Gotta say - That's pretty cool soccer fan or no.

My roommate in college is from England and his dad still lives there. I played soccer my whole life, but never really followed it until college because he was always watching the games. He is a huge West Brom fan, so I have enjoyed watching them play. They had a very good, surprising year last year.

Got him this for his birthday last year, signed by the entire team....

2zg6vbk.jpg

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Probably because soccer is the most popular sport on a global scale.

:razz:

Anyone see the Ballon d'Or presentation earlier today? Ronaldo deserved it: he's been outstanding all year.
Yeah - well pretty much the same can be said for white rice, Budweiser, and goat meat.:cheese:

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Yeah - like those. It's pretty rare in football. In basketball they instituted a foul for it. Any rumblings among soccer fans that they might follow suit?
It is actually the case that when a player dives (flops) , the referee does have the power to book players for it, so it is technically what you would call a foul. Its just hard for them to differentiate between when a player is actually fouled but is just making a meal of it, or when a player is diving without being touched.
As far as i'm concerned it should also be a bookable offence when a player is clearly over-reacting, because that is just the same thing as diving in my opinion- trying to con the referee into giving you a free kick/penalty.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It is actually the case that when a player dives (flops) , the referee does have the power to book players for it, so it is technically what you would call a foul. Its just hard for them to differentiate between when a player is actually fouled but is just making a meal of it, or when a player is diving without being touched.
As far as i'm concerned it should also be a bookable offence when a player is clearly over-reacting, because that is just the same thing as diving in my opinion- trying to con the referee into giving you a free kick/penalty.
Maybe they should actually shoot the player with a 50 cal when he acts like he just got shot with a 50 cal. Problem solved and a whole bunch of new fans.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Maybe they should actually shoot the player with a 50 cal when he acts like he just got shot with a 50 cal. Problem solved and a whole bunch of new fans.
I could live with that, where do i sign up :)
In seriousness though, it is a rule that just needs stricter application from officials. If they start putting their foot down and players end up suspended due to being sent off for diving, then i think you'll find it stops very quickly.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Haha assuming you aren't a fan of West Brom??

P.s you may need to explain what Tesco is to the non brits in the thread ;)