The Soccer Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I Used to be a Stoke City guy but now it's all Thunder.
CAL state cup in 2 weeks.
GO THUNDER

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Hey Flipper,,,

What do I have to pay to get a can of that magic aerosol spray that I see being used to heal those soccer players who are laid out on a freaking stretcher within about 10 seconds. We have got to get a case of that shyte in the hands of the Rams trainers like yesterday.

Thank you
:rofl::rofl::rofl: Fuggin' classic!

I realize this post is not going to be viewed kindly by soccer fans but...

I had someone in the pub the other day (well about a month or two ago actually) want to watch soccer. That was a first. But there were no other games so I put it on. Sorry but I thought it was unwatchable. Every two minutes some guy was flopping like he just got stabbed in the ribs or shot in the knee. Then as soon as he'd get the call, he'd get up and start playing again. At least the game ended 1-0. I've never seen a sport with so much running around and almost NOTHING actually happening. Do they resist coming up with a flopping penalty because flopping is 90% of the action? Seriously. I just don't get it. I'd honestly like to know what makes this sport so fascinating in the eyes of a soccer fan.

I know I am missing something. I must be. I played the game as a kid and know it takes major stamina but I just don't get the allure of watching it. Is it more about rivalry than the actual game? I'm serious. Educate me.

Now before you think I'm some redneck, I also don't get the fascination with NASCAR. Mix in a right turn yuh freakin' hillbilly! I will say that I try to watch every race they do on a road course though. It's down right hilarious when they actually have to make real turns. Maybe they could get a bigger steering wheel while they're at it too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I know I am missing something. I must be. I played the game as a kid and know it takes major stamina but I just don't get the allure of watching it. Is it more about rivalry than the actual game? I'm serious. Educate me.
Nah. I feel the same way. I freaking loved the game when I was playing (goalie and right wing), but I can't stand watching it. I love bowling too, but it's hard to watch as well. That said, I'll watch bowling before I'll watch soccer. And I've tried to watch soccer too. Really tried to get into it, but I just couldn't. If I had to guess, it's more of a pride for Country thing than it is love of the action.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
How can you not watch Kingpin?
Kingpin? How do you leapfrog the ONLY bowling movie masterpiece?

biglebowskibowling.jpg

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Your opinions Stu and Paulie are pretty normal. For me it was always the sport that was the most fun for me to play but not the most fun to watch. It would be very hard to explain why something should be entertaining to someone. Obviously world wide it is more watched than at home, mostly because of the ability to comprehend the skill involved. Unless you play at a pretty advanced level you would not easily be able to see the skill that is being demonstrated. A lot like watching kids play football in the park, Football is not fun to watch until understood and played well. Have you ever had the girlfriend that just did not understand your passion for football, in great part do to their lack of understanding the rules and what it was that the teams were doing and why. Soccer is the same for most people but the subtle nuances are difficult to pick up. If you understand the triangle offense in basketball you will notice how soccer implements that same theory.
I know I did not do a good job but I will close by saying familiarity and an open mind may help.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Your opinions Stu and Paulie are pretty normal. For me it was always the sport that was the most fun for me to play but not the most fun to watch. It would be very hard to explain why something should be entertaining to someone. Obviously world wide it is more watched than at home, mostly because of the ability to comprehend the skill involved. Unless you play at a pretty advanced level you would not easily be able to see the skill that is being demonstrated. A lot like watching kids play football in the park, Football is not fun to watch until understood and played well. Have you ever had the girlfriend that just did not understand your passion for football in great part do to their lack of understanding what it was that the teams were doing and why. Soccer is the same for most people but the subtle nuances are difficult to pick up. If you understand the triangle offense in basketball you will notice how soccer implements that same theory.
I know I did not do a good job but I will close by saying familiarity and an open mind may help.
Thanks for the feedback. Let me ask you though. Do you watch all soccer, or only a certain team? I mean, in all sports, I really only watch my favorite teams play (Rams, Lakers, Marlins). Sometimes I'll watch another team play, but it's not as entertaining to me. Since most Americans don't really have a team to watch, it kind of leaves us out of the loop until the World Cup.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I am such a homer X, growing up in So Cal Admittedly a little spoiled by successful sports teams like the Dodgers and Lakers. I find myself really only watching my teams. I am a Rams fan and all other NFL teams are tied for second. To answer you I watch the Galaxy here in LA, I also watch the national team and I am a soccer Dad to a son who plays year round for a local club team. I spent this weekend traveling with him where we played a tournament 3 games in 2 days. I grew up playing Soccer, Baseball and Basketball at an organized level but have really regained my pleasure in watching Soccer by watching the kids go from AYSO to All stars and now Club you really get to experience the growth and development at a pace that creates a deeper understanding of what it takes. True there is not a lot of scoring but there is a lot of suspense and the goals are very valuable.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I see. So you're kind of immersed in Soccer then. I dunno. Like I said, I have a very good understanding of the sport, and did play for several years, but once I stopped playing, I stopped being interested in it. Conversely, I played football to a high level and never lost the taste. Maybe it's just a personal preference. The weird part is, (or maybe not so weird) Soccer is an immensely under-appreciated sport in the States. Obviously as compared to the International appeal. And maybe that's because of the NFL.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
See any sport where the bar serves Caucasians is OK with me.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Have you ever had the girlfriend that just did not understand your passion for football, in great part do to their lack of understanding the rules and what it was that the teams were doing and why.

Nah. Always dumped them.:heh:

But I get what you're saying. I just never could get with it. As a kid I tried watching and staying up on the LA Aztecs. I just couldn't generate the same interest I had in the Rams, Dodgers, Lakers, and Kings. I always was kind of a sports addict. I played every sport I could as a kid but was never all that good at any of them besides Tennis and Volleyball - though I was a pretty decent goalie in soccer. I played league soccer for four years in LA and my sister always went to all-stars and coached soccer when she was in college. So I'm not a total neophyte.

It seems that soccer fans are more rabid than any other fan base I have ever been around. Here in Oregon, the Portland Timbers fans are freaking nut cases about their team. I can really appreciate that but still can't come to grips as to why. But that's cool.

Now - to the flopping thing. Do fans of soccer notice that too? Do they get pissed about it? Or is it just something non-soccer aficionados notice? I'm not trying to rag on the sport. I just have to shake my head at the theatrics of these guys acting like they just got hit by a ghost truck. Maybe it's because the field is so big that they figure the refs will never see the foul unless they go berserk. Dunno.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Now - to the flopping thing. Do fans of soccer notice that too? Do they get pissed about it? Or is it just something non-soccer aficionados notice? I'm not trying to rag on the sport. I just have to shake my head at the theatrics of these guys acting like they just got hit by a ghost truck. Maybe it's because the field is so big that they figure the refs will never see the foul unless they go berserk. Dunno."

By flopping I'm guessing you are referring to what we would say is diving and yes we do notice it. It is not popular with supporters at all, especially when it could result in a penalty or a free kick in a dangerous position. Certain players are well known for it more than others but it happens all the time. It is almost part and parcel of the game now and a way to gain a foul. It's a shame but there you go.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Make know bones about it American Football is my favorite sport to watch.
Stu: Nice RDLK reference

Last edited by a moderator:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I see. So you're kind of immersed in Soccer then. I dunno. Like I said, I have a very good understanding of the sport, and did play for several years, but once I stopped playing, I stopped being interested in it. Conversely, I played football to a high level and never lost the taste. Maybe it's just a personal preference. The weird part is, (or maybe not so weird) Soccer is an immensely under-appreciated sport in the States. Obviously as compared to the International appeal. And maybe that's because of the NFL.

Nah. Always dumped them.:heh:

But I get what you're saying. I just never could get with it. As a kid I tried watching and staying up on the LA Aztecs. I just couldn't generate the same interest I had in the Rams, Dodgers, Lakers, and Kings. I always was kind of a sports addict. I played every sport I could as a kid but was never all that good at any of them besides Tennis and Volleyball - though I was a pretty decent goalie in soccer. I played league soccer for four years in LA and my sister always went to all-stars and coached soccer when she was in college. So I'm not a total neophyte.

It seems that soccer fans are more rabid than any other fan base I have ever been around. Here in Oregon, the Portland Timbers fans are freaking nut cases about their team. I can really appreciate that but still can't come to grips as to why. But that's cool.

Now - to the flopping thing. Do fans of soccer notice that too? Do they get pissed about it? Or is it just something non-soccer aficionados notice? I'm not trying to rag on the sport. I just have to shake my head at the theatrics of these guys acting like they just got hit by a ghost truck. Maybe it's because the field is so big that they figure the refs will never see the foul unless they go berserk. Dunno.
Always fun chatting with you guys, good rational conversation.
Now to the flopping. you mean like flopping in basketball or faking injury in football to stop the clock, yah it can be maddening. I think to some degree all contact sports try to sell the fact that a foul has been committed to a excessive degree.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Took me a while.
I love asking bartenders at weddings that question, always takes them a while too but after they do and you tip up front, your Caucasians are ready before you get to the bar.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Always fun chatting with you guys, good rational conversation.
Now to the flopping. you mean like flopping in basketball or faking injury in football to stop the clock, yah it can be maddening. I think to some degree all contact sports try to sell the fact that a foul has been committed to a excessive degree.

Yeah - like those. It's pretty rare in football. In basketball they instituted a foul for it. Any rumblings among soccer fans that they might follow suit? I don't remember them doing this anywhere near as frequently when I tried to become a fan several years ago. Frankly, it seems from my standpoint that it has become so much a part of the game that I can't take it seriously.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I love asking bartenders at weddings that question, always takes them a while too but after they do and you tip up front, your Caucasians are ready before you get to the bar.
Pretty sad. I was in a bar the other day and I was trying to remember the term. Couldn't remember caucasian. :meh: