The Sky

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:

That's only your perception. How do you know that what you see as blue, is what I see as green?

bluecoconuts

Legend
Actually the sky is all colors of the rainbow, blue light just happens to travel the furthest and fastest, and as a result is the color we're able to see. In contrast, red-light travels the shortest and slowest, and that is why you can stare into a red lens flashlight at night and not lose your night vision! We can see the true colors of the sky in special occasions, namely rainbows, and the northern lights, but these aren't new colors being added, but a reflection of all colors, allowing them to be seen. If they were able to be seen at all times, our sky would be a giant rainbow. :)

Anonymous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
Actually the sky is all colors of the rainbow, blue light just happens to travel the furthest and fastest, and as a result is the color we're able to see. In contrast, red-light travels the shortest and slowest, and that is why you can stare into a red lens flashlight at night and not lose your night vision! We can see the true colors of the sky in special occasions, namely rainbows, and the northern lights, but these aren't new colors being added, but a reflection of all colors, allowing them to be seen. If they were able to be seen at all times, our sky would be a giant rainbow. :)

I thought it was because of the high nitrogen content of the atmosphere. Interesting stuff.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Skyy Vodka is disgusting.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
squeaky wheel said:
StlouisramsX said:
squeaky wheel said:

That's only your perception. How do you know that what you see as blue, is what I see as green?

:what:
Open your mind young brother. Open your mind.

You were conditioned to see THIS as blue. You were taught that color is "blue".

How do you know that what I see (through my eyes) isn't THIS? And I was told all along that it's "blue".

Let it sink in...

Anonymous

StlouisramsX said:

I don't drink liquor but I've tried Grey Goose before and liked it.

Anonymous

StlouisramsX said:
squeaky wheel said:
StlouisramsX said:
squeaky wheel said:

:what:
Open your mind young brother. Open your mind.

You were conditioned to see THIS as blue. You were taught that color is "blue".

How do you know that what I see (through my eyes) isn't THIS? And I was told all along that it's "blue".

Let it sink in...

Oh yeah? Well I asked the expert....
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I62uwbyD2pU[/youtube]

bluecoconuts

Legend
squeaky wheel said:
bluecoconuts said:

I thought it was because of the high nitrogen content of the atmosphere. Interesting stuff.

Well that is part of it. The blue light hits the atmosphere and as a result scatters around, making it easier to see. When the sun is setting, the sky looks violet, orange, and red, because as the sun gets further away while it sets, the different colors have to travel further which in return make them scatter from the gasses in our atmosphere, and allow us to see them.

In space, the sun looks white, because there is nothing to scatter the light which gives it color.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
squeaky wheel said:
StlouisramsX said:

I don't drink liquor but I've tried Grey Goose before and liked it.

Yeah me either but I keep trying tequilas and rums thinking I will find the perfect bottle. Somehow one bottle of Tres Generacions or Flor tastes as good as the next. Go figure. Oh well, guess I'll keep trying. :mrgreen: