The Silver Lining

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Look, I was beyond irate today and I'm still angry about the way that game went down. But I think there's a silver lining here beyond the performance of Austin Davis, Quick, Britt, etc.

Today, the Rams allowed a punt to be blocked for a TD, they allowed a fumble to be returned for a TD, Zac Stacy got stripped at the Eagles 30 which was returned deep into Rams territory(leading to another TD), and Austin Davis was stripped on a play that started at the Eagles 5 yard line.

I know what you're thinking, how is that a silver lining? Hekker has never had a punt blocked with the Rams. Stacy has only fumbled 3 times in 300 carries. Prior to today, Austin Davis had never lost a fumble. Basically, the Rams had four incredibly unlikely turnovers which resulted in 21 points for Philly. A Philly team that went to the playoffs last year.

Despite all of that, about the most unimaginable combination of events happening, the Rams should have had a shot at the end of this game to win it with multiple throws to the end-zone.

This team came out and played as sloppy as I've seen them play in a good while and they could have very realistically still won a game against a playoff team. There's obviously some talent on this team now if they could pull that off. We played a shit game against a playoff team and almost won.

That all said, it's also very concerning that we played such a sloppy game coming off a bye week. Additionally, it's very frustrating to see the OL have another underwhelming day. They need to get whatever it was figured out that kept allowing free blitzers off the edge. On a final note, we need to get the penalties under control. There were bad calls as always but the personal fouls and procedural penalties(false starts) should not be happening.

And while there is a silver lining, we're still 1-3. Team needs to put it together and start coming away with Ws. Moral victories don't mean anything. However, this game did leave me optimistic about Austin Davis. I still have reservations, though.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
If Davis does this against the 9ers, I'm going for him all the way to the end.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Fisher and staff have been a complete disappointment. No excuse to play as sloppy as they did today coming out of bye. Zero discipline. Where is the pass rush? DC Williams is another bad reflection on Fisher.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I think the only way the Rams stopped the free blitzers was philly stopped sending them.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Look, I was beyond irate today and I'm still angry about the way that game went down. But I think there's a silver lining here beyond the performance of Austin Davis, Quick, Britt, etc.

Today, the Rams allowed a punt to be blocked for a TD, they allowed a fumble to be returned for a TD, Zac Stacy got stripped at the Eagles 30 which was returned deep into Rams territory(leading to another TD), and Austin Davis was stripped on a play that started at the Eagles 5 yard line.

I know what you're thinking, how is that a silver lining? Hekker has never had a punt blocked with the Rams. Stacy has only fumbled 3 times in 300 carries. Prior to today, Austin Davis had never lost a fumble. Basically, the Rams had four incredibly unlikely turnovers which resulted in 21 points for Philly. A Philly team that went to the playoffs last year.

Despite all of that, about the most unimaginable combination of events happening, the Rams should have had a shot at the end of this game to win it with multiple throws to the end-zone.

This team came out and played as sloppy as I've seen them play in a good while and they could have very realistically still won a game against a playoff team. There's obviously some talent on this team now if they could pull that off. We played a crap game against a playoff team and almost won.

That all said, it's also very concerning that we played such a sloppy game coming off a bye week. Additionally, it's very frustrating to see the OL have another underwhelming day. They need to get whatever it was figured out that kept allowing free blitzers off the edge. On a final note, we need to get the penalties under control. There were bad calls as always but the personal fouls and procedural penalties(false starts) should not be happening.

And while there is a silver lining, we're still 1-3. Team needs to put it together and start coming away with Ws. Moral victories don't mean anything. However, this game did leave me optimistic about Austin Davis. I still have reservations, though.
One other Big thing to add to the Silver Lining, We haven't played one Division Game yet, and Ariz. lost today, so our div. hopes are still alive!!

RamWoodie

Legend
If you don't get mad about penalties that are unnecessary, you can't be a serious fan in my book. At the same time it makes you wonder about how penalties are handled on the practice field. I don't know, but I sure would like to know.

I'm really baffled at the Dline...WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON THERE??? We KNOW these guys can do better, but it just isn't happening at this point.

I worried about the secondary for this game...turns out, they were the bright spot.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hekker had a punt blocked vs the Jags last year. Sorry to be that guy lol

It was considered a partial block so it didn't go down on the stat sheet. But I had forgotten about it when I made the thread. Either ways, that was one block in around 170 punts prior today. Again, all those events happening in a single game is very very unlikely.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Nice post jrry, sums things up quite well. I was disgusted by the first three quarters, and I am tired of moral victories. But this team was close to winning after all that adversity against a winning/playoff team in their house, and that shows me something.

AD can play in this league, and this offense is rising week by week and gaining confidence with him at the helm. They just need to get that #@$! defense rolling.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Why is such a talented team so consistently underperforming, or defeating itself with mistakes?

The silver lining that you point out, our ability to come back so well against a supposedly good team, demonstrates that we're playing far below expectations on a consistent basis. The assumption here is that it's only a matter of time before the talented team grows-up and we see consistently excellent play. But perhaps that assumption is wrong. Perhaps the more accurate assumption is that something unseen is drastically wrong, that that is leading to the inconsistent play that's far below expectations.

I really don't know, and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade. But I'm not willing to drink the kool-aide any longer.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
I think the only way the Rams stopped the free blitzers was philly stopped sending them.

yea i think philly went conservative or it wouldn't have been close. and this was a philly team that never scored a td agianst the whinners