The Shutdown Corner Week 6 NFL Preview Podcast

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
by Doug Farrar

Once again, it's time to gear up for this week's slate of NFL games with analysis from the best in the business -- Greg Cosell of NFL Films and ESPN's "NFL Matchup." As he did so well last year, Greg will give you a sense of the week's upcoming games you won't get anywhere else, based on his conversations with players and coaches past and present, and his OCD-level evaluation of coach's tape. Since the podcast was recorded on Friday morning, we started by reviewing the Tennessee Titans' Thursday night win over the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The remaining Week 6 games, in order of discussion:

Oakland Raiders at Atlanta Falcons
Cincinnati Bengals at Cleveland Browns
St. Louis Rams at Miami Dolphins
Indianapolis Colts at New York Jets
Detroit Lions at Philadelphia Eagles
Dallas Cowboys at Baltimore Ravens
Kansas City Chiefs at Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Buffalo Bills at Arizona Cardinals
New England Patriots at Seattle Seahawks
New York Giants at San Francisco 49ers
Minnesota Vikings at Washington Redskins
Green Bay Packers at Houston Texans
Denver Broncos at San Diego Chargers

[mp3]http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AkFwIm58KwRwQH26U4twHgVYYsp_;_ylu=X3oDMTFkZWgzYnZwBG1pdANCbG9nIEJvZHkEcG9zAzIEc2VjA01lZGlhQmxvZ0JvZHlBc3NlbWJseQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTM1bXZlYmhvBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDODBiY2YwNDQtNGQyOC0zMGZiLTlkMmUtYWFkMThlMTNhMjAxBHBzdGNhdANuZmx8c2h1dGRvd25jb3JuZXIEcHQDc3RvcnlwYWdl;_ylv=0/SIG=1370n31sg/EXP=1351316509/**http%3A//ysportspods.podbean.com/mf/web/dv8y6/GregCosellWeek6MatchupPodcast101212.mp3[/mp3]

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I love Cosell. He's sharp and I have to agree with him about Sam not looking real comfy managing the game. I think it will improve as this season goes on and I think a lot of it comes from last year's beatings and his 3rd system in 3 seasons. And yes, if the OL can start to gel, if his WRs will step up some more, it will begin to show sooner than later. It's very important that this OL plays well this week so Sam's confidence can continue to grow because this next stretch of the season could be very tough. GB, NE, and SF in a row could very very trying coming off of a loss to Miami. This game is HUGE.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
It does look like Sam is playing under pressure, which I guess he is - he's one of those players that you know could be elite, if he can get the motor running smoothly - we've got to remember also that the Rams are a young team in development, we desperately need to boost our O-line (I think we're last in pass protection this year), just to give him that extra half second, we need an elite LT (But we're gonna have to wait till the next draft) - just look at what Kalil has done in Minnesota, and we need Scott Wells back too, he was brought in to ease some pressure on Sam and he's been injured most of the time - it's interesting to see since Wells' departure the difference in Rodgers' play this year - I really think that Wells makes a huge difference

Hopefully he's building a rapport with the other wide receivers (especially now that Danny's out) we also need SJ back up and fighting fit, this will also relieve some of the pressure. He needs an outside option a number 1 go to guy, so hopefully one of our guys will step up and be that guy, this will also make things better all round when Danny's back! imagine that ;)

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, I think he looks pretty comfortable (Sam) within himself. Now it's just a matter of getting the OL back and having everyone playing in this offensive scheme with a level of anticipation and understanding. Right now everyone appears to get it *on paper*, but there's still some miscommunication out there and it doesn't seem like everyone is playing as 1. It'll come though. It'll come.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Got to agree with you X - you could tell by some of the misses, it was just a matter of - just out of reach. Forgot to mention earlier - what a pass for that touchdown! He's got an awesome arm - the difference in that play was he was beautifully in the pocket - imagine how good if he had more moments in games like that!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
shaunpinney said:
Got to agree with you X - you could tell by some of the misses, it was just a matter of - just out of reach. Forgot to mention earlier - what a pass for that touchdown! He's got an awesome arm - the difference in that play was he was beautifully in the pocket - imagine how good if he had more moments in games like that!
Ayup. Twice during that game Mayock said (paraphrasing), "Given time, his deep ball accuracy is as good as anyone in the game." We've all seen what Bradford can do when he's kept clean. Granted it's going to be harder against top defenses (as it is with every QB), but I'm encouraged by his ability to minimize mistakes, protect the football, and make a play when he has to. After having SO many incompletions, and seeing the level of frustration in his countenance after some of those miscues, it was awesome to see him step up and make a play to the guy who fell down on his route, gave up on another, and dropped two more.

That's trust, baby! And his receivers won't soon forget that.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
yeh - and was a great way to blow the cobwebs off on those no- completions, but you're right his body language at all of those near misses and no completions wasn't "ohh well, thats another one" it was more "damn, why weren't you where you were supposed to be!"