The season of Table Pounding

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
If there's one thing I don't like about this time of year, it's the table pounding.

We (and I get caught up in this too) get SO excited over our draft picks, like they're Christmas presents. We see this guy out there and we say "Oh! That's just too perfect! This guy will be a dream for the Rams!"

Then we see Some Other Guy (and do you ever notice that all the problems are caused by Some Other Guy? He should be banned.) pounding the table for another player? And our BVDs are immediately in an uproar! What?! That's not our guy! The Rams can't pick him! Some Other Guy is pounding the table for a bigger blunder than going in with a Sicilian when death is on the line! Quick, pound the table harder! What, he's ratcheting up his efforts?! POUND POUND POUND! The Rams have to pick our guy! They HAVE TO! WHY CAN'T SOME OTHER GUY UNDERSTAND THIS?!?!?!?

Sometimes, I actually find myself having to pull back for a bit and admitting to myself that:

A. Snead isn't lurking on this forum, hoping to be convinced of which guy he should take, so my table pounding will never have an impact on the bottom line.

B. Some Other Guy is a fellow Rams fan, and since we're speculating on the future, he's not wrong and I'm not right. We just have a different opinion which way to go.

C. His guy isn't a useless pick. He may end up a bust or redundant for the Rams, but so might my guy. The draft is a crapshoot like that.

It can be fun trying to convince others to pick the guy we think would be perfect for the Rams... but there's a point where it gets a little out of control. I don't think any of us are there yet, but it's worth watching ourselves to make sure something fun doesn't turn into something less so.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave
If there's one thing I don't like about this time of year, it's the table pounding.

We (and I get caught up in this too) get SO excited over our draft picks, like they're Christmas presents. We see this guy out there and we say "Oh! That's just too perfect! This guy will be a dream for the Rams!"

Then we see Some Other Guy (and do you ever notice that all the problems are caused by Some Other Guy? He should be banned.) pounding the table for another player? And our BVDs are immediately in an uproar! What?! That's not our guy! The Rams can't pick him! Some Other Guy is pounding the table for a bigger blunder than going in with a Sicilian when death is on the line! Quick, pound the table harder! What, he's ratcheting up his efforts?! POUND POUND POUND! The Rams have to pick our guy! They HAVE TO! WHY CAN'T SOME OTHER GUY UNDERSTAND THIS?!?!?!?

Sometimes, I actually find myself having to pull back for a bit and admitting to myself that:

A. Snead isn't lurking on this forum, hoping to be convinced of which guy he should take, so my table pounding will never have an impact on the bottom line.

B. Some Other Guy is a fellow Rams fan, and since we're speculating on the future, he's not wrong and I'm not right. We just have a different opinion which way to go.

C. His guy isn't a useless pick. He may end up a bust or redundant for the Rams, but so might my guy. The draft is a crapshoot like that.

It can be fun trying to convince others to pick the guy we think would be perfect for the Rams... but there's a point where it gets a little out of control. I don't think any of us are there yet, but it's worth watching ourselves to make sure something fun doesn't turn into something less so.
Hey, I know MY guy is "can't miss":p

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There will probably be a little "group think" break out here...

For me; I'll form a list of favourites, but at the end of the day trust the process. The guys running the Rams are the ones who do this for a living and it's their neck on the line.

Plus, the scenarios are just too many to fall totally in love with one player.

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame

Very well said .... but for fuck's sake!! MY GUY IS the RIGHT GUY! :p:D:rolleyes:

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
But what else are we supposed to discuss this time of the year?
Oh, I'm certainly not saying don't discuss it.

I'm just saying don't get so caught up with it that you begin to doubt Some Other Guy's intelligence for not liking your obviously perfect pick, or if the Rams do pick Some Other Guy's pick, resenting that pick. I've seen the latter happen to the point of hoping the pick fails just so you could be "right"... even if that means the Rams fail too.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing

I'm just saying don't get so caught up with it that you begin to doubt Some Other Guy's intelligence for not liking your obviously perfect pick, or if the Rams do pick Some Other Guy's pick, resenting that pick. I've seen the latter happen to the point of hoping the pick fails just so you could be "right"... even if that means the Rams fail too.

I get what you are saying. I meant to put that in blue.

You're right, as long as we don't cross the line then it's all in good fun, I think it's important to recognise that your opinions are fallible, as long as you don't lose sight of that you never take your opinions too seriously. It's just annoying that when I fall in love with a guy, a the Rams don't take him and b he's usually pretty damn good, although I don't have a big enough sample size and I too easily forget the guys who bust.

bluecollarram

Starter
Name
Dave

This site is pretty well moderated by staff and users. We don't get too much "friendly fire".

Now some other boards (ramStalk) aren't as diligent.

PhxRam

This site is pretty well moderated by staff and users. We don't get too much "friendly fire".

Now some other boards (ramStalk) aren't as diligent.

You guys should take pride in the fact that you are mostly self moderated.