The screen game

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Well, I re-watched the 1st team offense tonight and I'm speaking from memory of the 2nd and 3rd team but it looks like the screen game is going to be a big part of our offense going forward.

The pass to Cook in the flat, that was actually a TE screen. The wr's were set to block for him but his defender took him down. They zone blitzed with the DE dropping and the DE was in perfect position to take down Cook. Had the DE not dropped, may very well have gone for a 1st down. They actually had the perfect defensive play called. Think Tecmo bowl when you guess the right play and it's an immediate sack.

We tried a screen again to Tavon but it wasn't built off the play-action like the one in the first game. Basically, if Austin's on the outside, teams will play screen till we rip one over the top on them.

Later in the game, on Watt's big gain, it too was a swing screen. There were a few other attempts during the game too.

It's very interesting, there obviously isn't any game planning in pre-season but I do think Cig is working off a very deliberate script. In the first game, outside of the screen to Austin it seemed like they were really trying to work the intermediate routes. If I didn't know better, I swear they're in install still like in training camp. Maybe they are.

I suspect the mix of plays will be very different come the regular season. Whether Cig is a better play-caller/designer than Schotty will have to be seen but he will definitely be different.

Last edited: