The salary cap/free agency has given us better Superbowls

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Just theorizing here. The first 37 Superbowls had a lot of boring games if your team wasn't one of the participants (or if you didn't hate the team that lost). 20 of them saw a team ahead by 14 points or more after 3 quarters. Nobody came back to win. There were also 3 other games where the lead was 13 points and none of those teams came back. That's 23 of 37 basically out of reach after 3 quarters. And only 5 times was the deficit less than a TD. Three of those games saw a comeback.

In the last 21 Superbowls, there have been three 14 point deficits heading to the 4th quarter. One of those teams came back (N.England over Atlanta). There was one other game with a 13 point deficit. Also, there were 2 games tied after 3. New England and Philly in 2004 and the Rams and Patriots in 2018. Finally, of those 21 games, 14 of them saw a deficit of less than a TD going into the 4th. Five of those games saw a comeback. Now that's exciting.

It would appear the cap and free agency not only has made it possibly for teams to make huge turnarounds relatively quickly but Superbowls have become more exciting. And when that's the biggest single day event in sports nationally, that's a good thing.

One other thing. With the salary cap and free agency having the desired affect, is there any doubt Tommy and the Patriots cheated like hell?

Last edited:

Flint

Pro Bowler
Everyone loves tds and a lack of tds makes the casual fan lose interest. I’ve heard it said that the rams in ‘18 was one of the worst ever. No one wants to see defense and they’re saying the same thing about the first half of this one.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I remember a spell in the early and mid 90s when the NFCCG was widely regarded as the real Superbowl because the AFC just didn't have any horses that could keep up. Think Cowboys vs Bills x 2, Whiners vs Chargers, etc.

Last edited:

PARAM

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Everyone loves tds and a lack of tds makes the casual fan lose interest. I’ve heard it said that the rams in ‘18 was one of the worst ever. No one wants to see defense and they’re saying the same thing about the first half of this one.
And yet the two SBs with the Giants/Patriots were low scoring and exciting. Of course maybe that was because 90% of fans were rooting against the Patriots!!!
I remember a spell in the early and mid 90s when the NFCCG was widely regarded as the real Superbowl because the AFC just didn't have any horses that could keep up. Think Cowboys vs Bills x 2, Whiners vs Chargers, etc.
Take it a step further...from 83 to 94 there were 2 competitive SBs. SF and Cincy in 88 and the Giants and Bills in 90. The rest?

83 Oakland 38 Washington 9
84 SF 38 Miami 16
85 Chicago 46 New England 10
86 Giants 39 Denver 20
87 Washington 42 Denver 10
89 SF 55 Denver 10
91 Washington 37 Buffalo 24
92 Dallas 52 Buffalo 17
93 Dallas 30 Buffalo 13
94 SF 49 San Diego 26

8 of the top 10 SB winning scores in history. The AFC won 1 of those 10 games from 83-94.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The AFC won 1 of those 10 games from 83-94.
NFC won 15 of 16 SB's from '82-'97, and like you said, not many were close, only 3 of those 16 were decided by less than 10 points
Was it free agency/salary cap though? Or was it the rule changes that opened up offenses?
17 of last 27 have now been AFC, (11 of 21 if you exclude the cheaters)

PARAM

Hall of Fame
NFC won 15 of 16 SB's from '82-'97, and like you said, not many were close, only 3 of those 16 were decided by less than 10 points
Was it free agency/salary cap though? Or was it the rule changes that opened up offenses?
17 of last 27 have now been AFC, (11 of 21 if you exclude the cheaters)
It's probably not one thing. The cap, free agency, rule changes.....evolution of the game. I was just theorizing. No matter what it is, I'm glad. It's done nothing but make the game better. It beats a 2 week long build up and in two hours it's a 36-10 game!

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The first 37 Superbowls, the average scoring differential after 3 quarters was 14.9. The last 21 just 7.4. That's cut completely in half. And the 2nd highest differential of the last 21 (22 pts) was overcome with OT.

Ram65

Legend
No stats here.

I like defense. how different and exciting was watching CBs making plays on the ball in pass defense.

Free agency or the officiating has kept the SB games very competitive.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Evolution? True free agency started in 1993 and had an immediate affect. The salary cap in 1994 and it took a few years to come to full affect. Notably, once they figured out how Carmen Policy was skirting the rules. Rule changes happen almost every year. Can't hit a QB late has been around since 1940. Can't hit a QB in the head, even if it's simply your hand. Can't hit a QB below the knees (2009 after TB12 was injured). And most recently, can't fall on the QB with your entire mass. Also the NFL issued a directive to officials, "when in doubt about a roughness call or potentially dangerous tactic against the quarterback, the referee should always call roughing the passer.". Can't hit a defenseless receiver. Can't horse collar tackle. Can't lead with the crown of the helmet or launch. They've also thrown the defense a bone with illegal crack back blocks/blind side blocks and there are calls to institute a penalty for drop and drag tackling. Rules favor the offense because like the saying, "chicks dig the long ball", football fans love scoring.

Free agency, the cap and to some extent rule changes have seemingly created parity. My original post was theorizing how the cap and free agency has created more competitive Superbowls. But as Dieterbrock pointed out the game has evolved in all respects. When the Superbowl began and the AFL/NFL merged, football was snot popping, 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Receivers crossing the middle were subjected to viscous hits. Passing was out of necessity in the NFL for the most part but the AFL style was with an aerial assault. Gradually, after the merger, it became an NFL trait. And now, RBs are crying because they can't get good contracts, receivers are paid huge jack and QBs are protected to a degree just short of bubble wrap. And if you look beyond the competitive nature of recent Superbowls to the volume of different teams getting to the big game it's been good for the NFL.

The first 10 Superbowls had 9 different teams participate with 7 different winners. The next 10 had 13 different participants but only 6 different winners. And the next 10 had 9 different participants and just 4 different winners. No free agency? Teams having complete control over players from the day they were drafted? Probably. The first 10 Superbowls after the cap and free agency produced 14 different participants, 7 different winners and the next 10 produced 13 different participants, 9 different winners. The last 8 Superbowls have produced 8 different participants and 5 different winners. This latest 10 game block will need to see 4 new participants and 2 different winners to be anything like the previous 2 blocks.

The cap and free agency were supposed to create parity and to a degree it has. What that also means is it's aim is to also prevent dynasties. Yet New England had an 18 year run going to the SB at a rate of 1 every other year. Now KC has taken the baton going to 4 in 5 years and winning 3. It's all about the QB. If Brady doesn't go to Tampa do they win SB55? If Stafford doesn't go to the Rams, do they win SB56? Unlikely. I know, I know..."WOW! Tell us something we don't know!!!". If you have a great QB, your chances are better than most to win it all. If you have a good defense and a great QB you can go 3-1 in a 5 year period like KC and have a dynasty.

The NFL has created an anti-dynasty, parity inducing approach but we seem to be looking at the second dynasty since the cap and free agency. What are teams other than KC lacking? The Rams? A great defense. Dallas? San Francisco? Philly? A great QB. Buffalo? Baltimore? Cleveland? We're told to believe Allen, Jackson and Watson are great QBs but I have my doubts. One is inconsistent, the other a conundrum, the third, over rated. Allen looks great at times but makes boneheaded mistakes. Jackson seems to pass when he should run, runs when he should pass. Watson is looking like a flash in the pan. Add they're in the same conference as KC. Wrong place, wrong time?

Maybe, it's all about the timing? Get a great young QB, build a terrific defense and be a dynasty! Since that's not easy, you may have to 'settle' for winning one or two Superbowls? Acquire a great QB, couple that with a good defense and win one or two. So who are the great QBs other than Mahomes and Stafford? Can Love or Stroud be that? Who else? I'm not as impressed with Tua, Allen, Jackson, Prescott, Lawrence, Hurts or Cousins. Herbert? Now he may be one. Harbaugh might build something good there but he'll have to deal with Mahomes and KC....in the division. Maybe the Rams can build that defense for Stafford's last couple/few years before Love becomes great and/if Green Bay builds that defense?

@Ram65....McVay has put a lot of faith in his good buddy Shula. I hope it's warranted!