The running game can continue to thrive in Kyren’s absence.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
@AvengerRam , as much as I agree with your original post, I think what occurred last Sunday was a beautiful dance between the player and the game plan -- it was the result of all 11 players being apart of something unstoppable.

There is one ingredient that KW brought to that performance I think will absolutely be needed in order for that rushing display to be replicated by another back. That ingredient is VISION.

KW was showing some vision I hadn't seen in a runner on the Rams in along time. Maybe as far back as Faulk. He had eyes in the back of his head, hell, he had 360 degree vision.

He was slashing, jump cutting, had that mid-stride pause thing Faulk would do to have a defender dive-tackling points he was supposed to be at - but wasn't, it was beautiful to watch. Then it became this all 11 guys working together in unison realizing the other team couldn't stop them.

I don't see Akers having the same performance under same circumstances. I hated watching AKERS run into the tacklers.

Hopefully these other backs have it.

Go Rams.
Fuck the 9ers.
Man! Love THIS^^^

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Williams had a year to learn even if it was only in practice.

Evans is in his rookie year and sometimes it takes a year before rookies learn to hang onto the ball.
Or he's been working on it like KW. Let's just hope.
I've heard from other that Evans isn't that good of a blocker.
Other? Could you please stop quoting Merlin?
McVay never had a problem saying a guy like Henderson was the starter in previous iterations of this RB injury broken record.
Did McVay really ever state a starting RB - ever? Probably no reason for it.

Maybe he has, and even weekly, yet I missed it. But we haven't really had a for sure starter since Gurley.

Hopefully KW is durable aside from the ankle thing. He actually looks like he could be that guy. Not Gurley "That guy" - but that guy who can play all 3 downs and we're all excited about that.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Or he's been working on it like KW. Let's just hope.

Other? Could you please stop quoting Merlin?

Did McVay really ever state a starting RB - ever? Probably no reason for it.

Maybe he has, and even weekly, yet I missed it. But we haven't really had a for sure starter since Gurley.

Hopefully KW is durable aside from the ankle thing. He actually looks like he could be that guy. Not Gurley "That guy" - but that guy who can play all 3 downs and we're all excited about that.
Y'know... I feel I channeled a little @So Ram in this post. :cheers2:

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Kyren is also pretty darn good at blocking. I've heard from other that Evans isn't that good of a blocker. If so, he won't see the field that much, imo.

That’s really it, isn’t it? If you don’t block, you won’t play. Maybe that’s what kept Akers in turmoil. Maybe that’s why Henderson is back or why Michel was brought into camp. The more the Rams passed, the more Akers sat. Maybe he just wasn’t a willing blocker. Aside from the run game, if Evans can do a good job blocking, the Rams will be ok.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That’s really it, isn’t it? If you don’t block, you won’t play. Maybe that’s what kept Akers in turmoil. Maybe that’s why Henderson is back or why Michel was brought into camp. The more the Rams passed, the more Akers sat. Maybe he just wasn’t a willing blocker. Aside from the run game, if Evans can do a good job blocking, the Rams will be ok.

It’s all up in the air!! You tell me what’s going to happen? I don’t know,but my guess is as good as any.
J.Kolone is one of my better examples of how Sean Mcvay works in his relationships with players.
First off he LOVES his players & shows them such respect.In return he(The Rams) make sure the player(s) are taken care of.
—John Sullivan got cut,but he told him to stay ready.He got into such great shape & started living life to the fullest.He lost 60lbs. like that & could never player center(NFL) again.
—Henderson is an example & who knows what will happen Sunday against the Steelers.The thing is D.Henderson is getting paid.He knows the offense & that is why he always brings back his players!!!

I LOVE the New Practice Squad Rule!! It’s GREAT for The NFL!! I changes things so much & The Players benefit. You talk about player’s safety & health ?? That’s HUGE.
In any sense I LOVE the RB by comity thing,but also LOVE the Big Dawg!! I will always say The Rams F’d up not taking D.Cook in 2017.They have also reached or not done well drafting RB’s(early). Well Gurley was a surprise (injury Georgia)at 10.
Was Gurley The Rams last 1st rd. Pick ? Just thoughts & opinions

I do also look at my view of moving into the 1st rd to take Johnathan Taylor(5 years) & Dillion(GB) later.2020 draft(sucked)

Whatever-I’ve moved on.This 2023 Draft could be The Rams Best Ever Draft !! Love it & where The Rams are. It’s exciting & last week The Rams Fan Base grew & The SOFI (fever) experience is growing!!

This is going to be The Rams 3rd Home Game in a Row.There is a BIG STEELER Fan Base in SO CAL though from Years(Superbowl) past.The Rams leaving LA created this,but LOYAL Ram Fans will change that in time.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My GF always says - story short.

With that I’ll say this RB rotation & roster is actually Really KOOL 2 ME! Pick & choose.

I like Mcvays mind set & The Rams playing the Hot RB.It’s a nice mix.

Kyren Williams scoring ability was OFF The Charts though & will be missed.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
I believe Evans has a special burst and hope he shows it frequently this Sunday. With that said, pass pro in the NFL is no joke. It's difficult to learn and employ consistently. For the record, Hendo was an excellent blocker and that's why you will see him on third downs and long seconds, IMO. But if the OLine gets removal, Evans will get fed and then overhyped. Good proble to have. But if he gets Stafford clocked, he will get pulled with immediate effect. I'm in the wait and see mode.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
As much faith as I have in McV’s coaching, culture and winning games…I have no faith in him becoming a HC who commits to the run week in and week out.

Ellard80

Legend
the bigger issue is the running backs being able to pass protect

Pittsburgh will blitz and test them out.

i dont trust Evans to pick that up.

I think Henderson will play quite a bit.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
the bigger issue is the running backs being able to pass protect

Pittsburgh will blitz and test them out.

i dont trust Evans to pick that up.

I think Henderson will play quite a bit.
McVay likes to use the term “flow of the game” to explain play calling and player usage.

I won’t be surprised if we see Henderson early and as long as the game is close. If we get a lead and go into ball control mode, then maybe he’ll trust Evans.

Or, I could be completely wrong. McVay is certainly keeping things close to the vest.

jap

Legend
I am just worried about Zach Evans fumbling issues
They are going to put male and female Velcro pads on Zach's hands and the ball, respectively. The Leprechaun is just very capable of anticipating and resolving any issue.

oldnotdead

Legend
There is nothing wrong with RB by committee. Just ride the hot hand. I think Henderson starts but Evans will get his carries depending on how well Henderson plays. McVay is simply going to play whoever is running best. Otherwise, it will be situational.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I would like to see a run game that consistently features out of the shotgun when Williams returns. He runs out of that set well, and the offense can look exactly the same that way whether they run or pass.

Has to be with Williams though. He is the only one who is equally good running, pass protecting, or going into the pattern.