The reeling Panthers lose again and Cam Newton walks out during press conference

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
As I said back when he did it last year, this doesn't bother me. Guy clearly cares a lot about winning. I'll take that sore loser on my team any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Goff could be SIGNIFICANTLY better than Cam... in the right environment.

I'm telling you... Goff in a P/E would eclipse Brady. I'm starting to see how that would work.

Goff in this O? Well, he...may...put up numbers like Bradford did. Which look awesome compared to what we have now, but is NOTHING compared to what he COULD BE.

With Fisher, we get half of Goff's potential... if that. The more of the pattern stuff the see, the more I want to stop looking...

Cuz the synergies of Goff, a P/E offense... a HC like David Shaw???

Mess is Biblical... ain't even playing...

I got all kinds of mess for the "patterns" thing in the off-season/pre-season. Was I wrong? I don't think so...even Goff's staunchest supporters are now forced to simply be optimistic about...maybe...he'll be good...when Fisher puts him in...cuz...Fisher. And that's frustrating, divisive and a tad depressing.

But... and I really didn't expect this... I went back and looked over some things... checked my own biases, etc. And honestly, I was BLOWN AWAY.

Not by Goff's raw potential, although that's pretty impressive. But it's the combination that truly synergizes for Goff... MUCH more so than Wentz or Dak Prescott or Lynch or any of the other QBs. MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more so.

I despise hyperbole and I would never post this unless I felt super, super strongly about it... but, this pattern is SO CLEAR to me.

Goff...in the right set up...could be an all time great... time in a P/E offense... teaching, even keeled H/C with collegiate experience like David Shaw (not a screamer. It's pretty clear from listening to Sonny Dykes and watching Goff that he doesn't respond to screamers or beraters. At. All. He needs encouragement, teaching and guidance. He's plenty tough, but that's how he's best. Yell at him and he'll doubt himself. Watch the Utah game... If he had a coach yelling at him? Ugh, that ugly woulda been doubled)...

... couple that with Gurley... and receiving weapons that would make Brady jelly... Britt who's really showing up and Quick who's rounding back into form as well as Tavon, a slash weapon who's better than anyone Brady's ever had (although, he's had a few slot backs with some really high FBI that made the most of their limited physicality).

I mean...look at the Pittsburgh offense. When that offense clicks, it's the most dangerous offense in the league in a long, long time. If the NFL didn't have a "don't run up the score" attitude, there's plenty of games Pitt could drop 60 on teams.

This is like having all the parts to build a kit supercar...but the garage manager will only authorize a pickup truck. The garage manager still geeked out and bought a twin-turbocharged engine that would be PERFECT for the supercar and not exactly the best for the pickup truck. It makes no sense, but he's convinced that putting this race car engine in the pickup truck will make the bestest pickup truck...ever.

Fisher is not going to get the most out of Goff any more than he could get the most out of Drew Brees...now....if somehow he became a Ram tomorrow.

So, I dunno. Is it encouraging that at least in one person's humble estimations (the patterns...they speak to me...), Goff could be truly exceptional...just not in this current climate...and current ownership seems hellbent on maintaining this current climate? That at least he COULD BE? If there's a switch?

I dunno. I'm on the fence.

I think Goff becoming Bradford...well, that's not exciting to me. That's settling. And that's NOT a slam on Sam Bradford. AT ALL. That's really an acknowledgment on how good I think Goff could be....if he's set up properly...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Yes, he could be. But Fisher is going to hold him hostage all year. I'd rather have him do that with Newton than Keenum.

But wishing isn't going to change anything. Going to tune in every week to see the same old crap.

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That's cool. We just have different opinions about what Professionalism looks like.
Just my 2 cents.I think it reflects more than just Professionalism.
Speaks volumes about Character as well.Bolting when conditions aren't
ideal is not what a true leader does.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Taking the heat after a tough loss, such as Keenum did today, is noticed by his teammates. Newton chooses a different path, and im sure his teammates notice that also. The QB is the leader of the team, takes blame after losses, shares credit after wins. Its a 2 way street, but Newton seems to only want to use 1 way of it.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I'm telling you... Goff in a P/E would eclipse Brady. I'm starting to see how that would work.

Goff in this O? Well, he...may...put up numbers like Bradford did. Which look awesome compared to what we have now, but is NOTHING compared to what he COULD BE.

With Fisher, we get half of Goff's potential... if that. The more of the pattern stuff the see, the more I want to stop looking...

Cuz the synergies of Goff, a P/E offense... a HC like David Shaw???

Mess is Biblical... ain't even playing...

I got all kinds of mess for the "patterns" thing in the off-season/pre-season. Was I wrong? I don't think so...even Goff's staunchest supporters are now forced to simply be optimistic about...maybe...he'll be good...when Fisher puts him in...cuz...Fisher. And that's frustrating, divisive and a tad depressing.

But... and I really didn't expect this... I went back and looked over some things... checked my own biases, etc. And honestly, I was BLOWN AWAY.

Not by Goff's raw potential, although that's pretty impressive. But it's the combination that truly synergizes for Goff... MUCH more so than Wentz or Dak Prescott or Lynch or any of the other QBs. MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more so.

I despise hyperbole and I would never post this unless I felt super, super strongly about it... but, this pattern is SO CLEAR to me.

Goff...in the right set up...could be an all time great... time in a P/E offense... teaching, even keeled H/C with collegiate experience like David Shaw (not a screamer. It's pretty clear from listening to Sonny Dykes and watching Goff that he doesn't respond to screamers or beraters. At. All. He needs encouragement, teaching and guidance. He's plenty tough, but that's how he's best. Yell at him and he'll doubt himself. Watch the Utah game... If he had a coach yelling at him? Ugh, that ugly woulda been doubled)...

... couple that with Gurley... and receiving weapons that would make Brady jelly... Britt who's really showing up and Quick who's rounding back into form as well as Tavon, a slash weapon who's better than anyone Brady's ever had (although, he's had a few slot backs with some really high FBI that made the most of their limited physicality).

I mean...look at the Pittsburgh offense. When that offense clicks, it's the most dangerous offense in the league in a long, long time. If the NFL didn't have a "don't run up the score" attitude, there's plenty of games Pitt could drop 60 on teams.

This is like having all the parts to build a kit supercar...but the garage manager will only authorize a pickup truck. The garage manager still geeked out and bought a twin-turbocharged engine that would be PERFECT for the supercar and not exactly the best for the pickup truck. It makes no sense, but he's convinced that putting this race car engine in the pickup truck will make the bestest pickup truck...ever.

Fisher is not going to get the most out of Goff any more than he could get the most out of Drew Brees...now....if somehow he became a Ram tomorrow.

So, I dunno. Is it encouraging that at least in one person's humble estimations (the patterns...they speak to me...), Goff could be truly exceptional...just not in this current climate...and current ownership seems hellbent on maintaining this current climate? That at least he COULD BE? If there's a switch?

I dunno. I'm on the fence.

I think Goff becoming Bradford...well, that's not exciting to me. That's settling. And that's NOT a slam on Sam Bradford. AT ALL. That's really an acknowledgment on how good I think Goff could be....if he's set up properly...
He's kinda gotta throw a pass or two before we anoint him the GOAT though. lol.
How much do you know about the Erhardt-Perkins system, btw?
It leans on sight-adjustments more than any other system.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just my 2 cents.I think it reflects more than just Professionalism.
Speaks volumes about Character as well.Bolting when conditions aren't
ideal is not what a true leader does.

I watched that game. Newton didn't go anywhere. He put his body on the line to score the tying TD late in the 4th Quarter.

Those guys don't give two-shits about what he does in the press conference after a loss unless he bad-mouths them.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
He's kinda gotta throw a pass or two before we anoint him the GOAT though. lol.
How much do you know about the Erhardt-Perkins system, btw?
It leans on sight-adjustments more than any other system.

Fair bit. I could always learn more, of course. Like how my dyslexic behind keeps calling it the Perkins/Earhardt when it's commonly called the Earhardt/Perkins... And that's just for starters... ;)

From what I recently rewatched especially of Goff's senior year, he was pretty adept at sight adjustments, actually and did it a fair bit in Sonny Dykes' Bear Raid.

It's not the same as "reading a D" per se. More of a situational "if/then" for the D, even if the QB can't articulate everything about that D. Not that the QB can't, but they don't necessarily have to. With a sight read, say, he may be looking at his X and if the D's playing man, Cover 1 because they're stacking the box and if the deep safety is shading away from the X, then the read is a double move go, if the safety is shading toward the X, then the read is a deep out.

Goff is really good at that.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It's not the same as "reading a D" per se. More of a situational "if/then" for the D, even if the QB can't articulate everything about that D. Not that the QB can't, but they don't necessarily have to.
Sorta, yeah. But I brought up the sight adjustments because it's heavily reliant on *receivers* being able to do the same things as the QB.
It's why so many receivers come and go in the patriots (lowercase on purpose) system.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Being a sore loser isn't a virtue.

Maintain composure and professionalism when facing adversity.

"Tests come, tests go. Just have to weather the storm". - SJ39

tavian

Not me.I am waaaay uglier
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I watched that game. Newton didn't go anywhere. He put his body on the line to score the tying TD late in the 4th Quarter.

Those guys don't give two-shits about what he does in the press conference after a loss unless he bad-mouths them.
Ok.But I am not following anybody who dresses like that.You have to admit those guys
give MORE than two shits about that.:neener:

FRO

Legend
If I had a bad day at work the last thing I would want is some loser media type second guessing my every move. That being said its part of Cam's job.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And maturity.
tumblr_o0gc4ou0pS1s6w6foo1_500.gif