The Redskins/Rams pick heading into final week

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
BonifayRam with the light of reason:
You know Alan no other ROD'mer loves the big ugly OT's like I do but I agree with you here on Jake Mathews. Of course if we end up with the first overall ...Snead 'wins the bid" calls trump & run the draft from StLouis & target several OT's where he expects them to settle in at ....then he can move up or move down anywhere if he pleases picking up second day picks each & every move down if trade partners line up.

Presently (could change) I want them to first target that CB Dennard then we look next for some lingering OT's. The Browns have some serious Draft capital as it stands. Browns have two first, a second, 2 thirds & 2 fourths to begin with.

I'm on board with all of that.

Of course a lot depends on what happens with Saffold but I too think CB is a more pressing need.

Alan

Legend
F. Mulder nailing it:
Therefore, anyway to have at least one pick in the top 10 and another 1-2 in the top 40 sounds good to me

Exactly F! :bigup:

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I drool for the trade that is giving the Redskins pick to the Browns for their 5th and 24th!!!

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Usually there ends up being 3-5 "can't miss/must-have/elite" type players in each draft. Who specifically those players are come April is not known yet but unless the Rams are head over heels for one of them the top 3rd through the mid/late second round of this draft looks to be pretty solid IMO. Therefore, anyway to have at least one pick in the top 10 and another 1-2 in the top 40 sounds good to me (without actually working out the trade metrics etc).

One thing I've leaned, FM, is that you have to be careful with that 3-5 can't miss label. For example, Trent Richardson was in the top 3 can't miss last year. And how has the only elite CB in 2012 done? The Cowboys brain trust was mocking the Rams when they stole Claiborne from us.

My experience is that the highest probability to really be a can't miss guy is an OT who has performed at a high level for more than a year in college. Not a converted TE like Jason Smith, but a tried and true OT like Joe Thomas. Matthews is pretty darn close to that definition. You know he is gonna be at least solid. I'm not saying I would avoid trading down to play is safe, but I wouldn't trade down if there was a significant gap in my evaluation of the next OT.

Alan

Legend
max's insight:
My experience is that the highest probability to really be a can't miss guy is an OT who has performed at a high level for more than a year in college. Not a converted TE like Jason Smith, but a tried and true OT like Joe Thomas. Matthews is pretty darn close to that definition. You know he is gonna be at least solid. I'm not saying I would avoid trading down to play is safe, but I wouldn't trade down if there was a significant gap in my evaluation of the next OT.
I agree with that max but I don't see a big gap myself. I don't know of any top rated OTs who don't fit your criteria.
Taylor Lewan 4 years college experience at LT
Antonio Richardson 2 years college experience at LT
Cameron Erving 2 years college experience at LT Played DT as a freshman
Cyrus Kouandjio 2 years college experience at LT Played 8 games his freshman year then had a knee injury/surgery
La'el Collins 2 years college experience at LT Played his first two years at OG
Greg Robinson 1 year college experience He's only a sophomore

Of course Robinson doesn't fit but he's only rated 8th best by Walter Football.

Last edited by a moderator: