The receiver battle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Is Chris Givens going to make this team? What about Austin Pettis?

At this point, Tavon Austin and Stedman Bailey are absolute locks to make the team - we all know that.

Brian Quick appears to have a really strong hold on a spot as well - as we would all expect.

All indications seem to be that Britt is going to get a spot - as he is flashing and appears back from injury.

No telling how many they will keep on the 53 - at least 5 and no more than 7 - and it's likely that only 5 dress each week.

So if we assume that 4 spots are taken (Austin, Bailey, Quick, Britt) - let's look at what is left:

Givens was our #1 wr last year. He had a bit of a sophomore slump - was invisible at times - but his strengths don't match up with Clemons strengths at all anyway - so hard to tell.
I know that he was disappointed with his year - will he find the motivation and work ethic to be a factor on this team?

Austin Pettis has been reliable but not spectacular. Good strong hands, good size, good awareness - he is a nice 4th or 5th receiver and finds the end zone fairly often.

Will it be a surprise player or two? TJ Moe? Veltung? Franklin? Blake?

We know Bailey has given someone 4 weeks of grace - which is kind of nice in a way - gives the coaches a little more time to look things over.

If I had to guess at it - 6 WRs make the 53 man (including Pettis and Givens) Once Bailey comes back, either Pettis or Givens will be in street clothes depending on who we are playing.

I wouldn't be shocked though to see either one (or even both) get cut.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Givens has flashed big play potential in the past. Watching him in TC reminded me that he is very fast.

I give him the edge over Pettis.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Why would Givens not make the team? He's cheap, and he has a lot of potential, and tons of speed.

And Pettis is still on his rookie deal too, and is a great hands guy, a possession WR and a guy you would want on the goal line. He's a role player too.

And with Bailey out for the 1st four weeks, these guys are an absolute lock to be on the team.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
I don't know that Pettis is a lock. It used to be he was the only guy with size so that gave him an advantage. Well now that's no longer the case. Wouldn't be surprised if somebody like TJ Moe beat him out for his spot.

I'm not a Chris Givens fan myself. I think Austin made him expendable. I think Britt, Quick, Austin, and Bailey are the four best WRs on the team.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Why would Givens not make the team? He's cheap, and he has a lot of potential, and tons of speed.

And Pettis is still on his rookie deal too, and is a great hands guy, a possession WR and a guy you would want on the goal line. He's a role player too.

And with Bailey out for the 1st four weeks, these guys are an absolute lock to be on the team.

I wouldn't go so far as saying they are locks. One will be here, but which one?

The biggest thing Pettis has going for him is the so-called comfort level with Bradford. But at what point is that so important if he isn't on the field. When they brought him in, he was a commodity they did not have. He is 6'3 and other than an oft injured and not very reliable Denario Alexander, they had guys like Gibson, Amendola, and Salas. Not a big target among them.

Now Pettis at 6'3 doesn't look so big anymore, when you can put Quick, Britt, Cook or Kendricks out there in his place. Just for training camp fodder, lets assume it comes down to Pettis and TJ Moe to be that backup slot receiver. One has Special Team value, and is a prototype slot receiver. The other is the "veteran" presence on a unit that is already the youngest in the league. Who do you pick?

Athos

Legend
I hope Pettis is made irrelevant by Quick. That only means an upgrade in talent.

And honestly, i think Moe is better suited at that 6th WR to play the DA role. Hands of glue he has.

Doesn't seem like Givens has impressed early in camp yet from the reports I've read. I honestly think if Bailey works out of the doghouse, he makes Givens the 4th or 5th WR.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I'm still not sold on Quick being a lock as he tends to fade when the bullets get real. And they're not going to keep him forever just on his blocking and his so far mythical abilities as a WR.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Tough call all around...How many do they keep? Remember the year when wrs were dropping like flys....It was the same with dbs a few years ago...Keep 6, dress five...Keep Givens....and I wanna say...by a nose, Pettis stays....Man, that just doesn't feel good typing that.....lets see what TJ & Franklin & Blake look like in some preseason games first....

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I'm still not sold on Quick being a lock as he tends to fade when the bullets get real. And they're not going to keep him forever just on his blocking and his so far mythical abilities as a WR.

and they arent gonna cut him either

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I don't think that they can afford to keep him on the roster for ever just for his play in practice. Britt is showing how Quick should play and if he can't pick it up he will be gone, at least to the PS.

Irish

Starter
Don't underestimate Pettis's relationship with Bradford. When stuff goes to crap, Pettis's often times is there to bail Bradford out, and the two of them have great red zone chemistry.

If I'm Givens, I am more than a little nervous

lockdnram21

Legend
I don't think that they can afford to keep him on the roster for ever just for his play in practice. Britt is showing how Quick should play and if he can't pick it up he will be gone, at least to the PS.

the way its looking Britt is doing all the dropping and it seems Quick is starting to get it. I know its practice but its looking like he's doing stuff he hasn't done before. Pettis always looks good in camp and when season comes around he looks mediocre he's only good in red zone and short routes. From looks of things Bailey can play that role

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
Yeah there's no way they cut Quick. Certainly not before Pettis or Givens. The fact that Givens is running with the 3s so far is telling.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Practice squad for Quick? Is that what you are suggesting?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Yeah there's no way they cut Quick. Certainly not before Pettis or Givens. The fact that Givens is running with the 3s so far is telling.

He isn't running with the 3's. HE is part of the group that is working with the 1's and 2's. As I mentioned earlier, they are using the WRs in pairs. Austin and Bailey, Britt and Quick, and Givens with Pettis. All 6 of them are getting reps with both the 1st and 2nd units.

When they put the 3rd unit offense on the field, you then see guys like Veltung, Moe, Blake, Franklin. Although there was a play or two where Givens was on the field with Veltung and Franklin.

TGZ

Rookie
Name
Dylan
He isn't running with the 3's. HE is part of the group that is working with the 1's and 2's. As I mentioned earlier, they are using the WRs in pairs. Austin and Bailey, Britt and Quick, and Givens with. All 6 of them are getting reps with both the 1st and 2nd units.

When they put the 3rd unit offense on the field, you then see guys like Veltung, Moe, Blake, Franklin. Although there was a play or two where Givens was on the field with Veltung and Franklin.

Ah my bad. Thought I read that he was on the 3rd unit.

I like Veltung. I hope he and Moe both make the practice squad if one doesn't beat out Pettis for the 6th spot