The real question for regular season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
There has been a lot of talk about wide receivers, Ray Ray Armstrong, and other things for training camp. But I think the true story for the regular season, the 2 things that are going to determine our success, are Roger Saffold's health, and Robinsons progress at LG. I think the defense will be fine, esp with the safety help and Williams game planning. I think Stacy and Austin take the next step. But it will all be for naught if these 2 don't play well.

And that's not even contemplating the possibility of no Jake Long.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Rodger is an important part of the OLine but for the first time since Pluto was a puppy, this line has quality depth. Joseph, Jones, and Barnes can allow Saffold to move to LT in case Jake can't go. I'm not worried about Robinson.

Barrison

Hall of Fame
Name
Barry
Worst possible scenario: Jake Longs rehab takes longer than anticipated, and we have to put Saffold at LT which scares the shit out of me. I want this year to see if the man can be durable at the G position which I think he can be. The T position, imo, is what makes Saffold an injury prone player, he's not a bad tackle by any means but if he doesn't have to try and keep up with the speed rushers, and just overpower the man in front of him that plays to his strengths. Hurry up preseason!!

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rodger is an important part of the OLine but for the first time since Pluto was a puppy, this line has quality depth. Joseph, Jones, and Barnes can allow Saffold to move to LT in case Jake can't go. I'm not worried about Robinson.

Joseph and Barnes yes, but Jones needs to play a down before I'd put him under quality depth. I just think without those two guys that middle part of the schedule will be very brutal.

Simba

Rookie
IMHO I think there is just One Big Question for the opener season.Will be Sam ready or not?We need Bradford healty 100%, this is really BASIC.I am talking about his mind too, non just his body.Losing his talent in the first part of the season could be irrecoverable.Other problems come later.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
IMHO I think there is just One Big Question for the opener season.Will be Sam ready or not?We need Bradford healty 100%, this is really BASIC.I am talking about his mind too, non just his body.Losing his talent in the first part of the season could be irrecoverable.Other problems come later.

I agree losing him would be a blow to our year and to his career, but at least on paper we are in much better shape this year to run our normal offense with Hill. But we know Bradford can play when healthy. I'd bet the head coach's eyes will be on the offensive line more than anywhere else. It's simply the most important part of the offense in Fisher's offensive scheme. Of course, IMO.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

I agree 100% That's why this OL must stand up tall strong & healthy all season in the protection of Sam Bradford.

And...that's why Snead was thinking hard on the first round selection of OT Zack Martin to prevent OG's Rodger Saffold or Greg Robinson from having to play OLT if Long has another injury event! Right Now Boudreau must work hard to find a way to keep the OL position set up ORT-Barksdale, ORG- Saffold, OC- Wells & OLG- Robinson together without yanking Saffold! The need is to find a reserve OL'er who can fill in for Jake Long & protect Sam Bradford @ OLT.

I would not go with the 335 plus pound Saffold @ OLT unless its a extreme emergency. Saffold is not the same 311 pounder when he started @ OLT in 2010 & 2011. Looks like Mike Person & Barrett Jones are the best of the rest to play OLT. :( I sure know what post I will be watching in pre season....OLT.

If I was able to get to Boudreau I like to discuss & suggest that he get Barrett Jones & Person the majority of work @ OLT in TC & pre season. Let Barnes & Rhaney work behind Wells @ OC, I work Joseph, Bond & Washington primarily @ the OG's & Van Dyk, Hooey & Bond behind ORT Barksdale. If Long was unable to go it's a hard thing to go with rookie Robinson & (Person or Jones) starting on that Blindside for Sam. I would run the ball all game long before I would subject Sam to many possible blindside hits. Thus the reason for the signing of vet ORG Davin Joseph.