The Rams will decline Robinson's 5th year option

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
move along.jpg
snark-meter.jpg

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
So Ram, you have the best take. Not been one poster to defend Paul Boudreau. We all agree he did a terrible job with the OL the last 5 years? No one to point to as a player he "coached up"?

So how does that figure into GRob's development? Seems to me GRob hasn't had good coaching since he came out of college. It now is up to Aaron Kromer and his staff.

I give Kromer and GRob til mid season. If, by then, GRob is still making the same mistakes, getting called for the same penalties. will I call him a "bust".

We really have to wait and see if Kromer can get GRob coached up. We all seem to agree Boudreau was a failure across the board. We know he failed with GRob for sure.

Poor coaching or uncoachable player? TC and pre-season play will give us that answer.

Rams not picking up his 5th year was their best option. How GRob performs this season will dictate what the Rams do with him at seasons end. If he shows marked improvement he could move back to LT when Whitworth retires. Who knows he may flourish at RT and stay there.

If GRob gets sent to the bench early or mid-season, its over for him as a Ram.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes GRob has missed a game due to injury. He also missed two games for failure to learn what to do on Sundays. Two different Head Coaches bench him twice last season within the final month of the season. Interim HC John Fassel would have kept GRob on the bench if he had not had injuries to 3 of his other OT's (Saffold [Hand surgery]/ Havenstein {ankle/toe] & Donnal [Hip later surgery) plus starting RG Cody Wichmann wear & tear on that high ankle strain was shelved. All those injuries helped GRob return to his starting LT post. NFL might want to consider a Brain Cloud as a injury.

I must be blind as a bat here because I fail to see any good coming from this player & all the indications lead me to expect the same from him as he has done since his arrival in the NFL over 3 yrs ago. I would like for one of my fellow members to point to anything that GRob has done that may change my mind on him so I can have "Happy Thoughts" too.
By the way I'm in Seattle today

View attachment 19226
Be very patience with the people of Seattle. The cities no #1 selling items are Interior glow grow Lights. Might also desire to turn up your understanding idiot level knob, knowing you will encounter the brain damage that is rampant & it gets worse as you work your way deep into the city near the bay.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
This was expected....I would have most of these guys play for new contracts.

Not sure how much of a fail Greg is....I definitely wouldn't have selected Matthews at #2. I WOULD HAVE GRABBED TAYLOR LEWAN!!!! Bunch of guys didn't like his...demeanor regarding his friends actions with a female on campus...Think he threatened her...allegedly...

I do think Kromer will find a great player underneath the draft bust label...Cream rises to the top...

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
This was expected....I would have most of these guys play for new contracts.

Not sure how much of a fail Greg is....I definitely wouldn't have selected Matthews at #2. I WOULD HAVE GRABBED TAYLOR LEWAN!!!! Bunch of guys didn't like his...demeanor regarding his friends actions with a female on campus...Think he threatened her...allegedly...

I do think Kromer will find a great player underneath the draft bust label...Cream rises to the top...
There were questions about Lewan as well.
Scouting reports stated he was a waist bender, not of a knee bender, which had some people worried.

I think GRob's biggest issue is that he continues to revert away from the coaching. He seems to think he can continue to get by on the pure physical talent that got him drafted.
He has to trust the coaching and work on it until it becomes second nature.
A thinking player is a benched player.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Lewan and Matthews were both just extremely effective.

Measurables to me are not as important as production.

Production is real.

If you looked at Zack Martin's technique as a tackle you would have some questions as well.

But he sure did produce.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Lewan and Matthews were both just extremely effective.

Measurables to me are not as important as production.

Production is real.

If you looked at Zack Martin's technique as a tackle you would have some questions as well.

But he sure did produce.

That's the problem w the combine. Coaches fall in love with 40 times and cone drills. It's pure bs, tape on a player will show you all you need to know about their skills.
IE Brian Quick, Pead, Grob, and the list goes on and on.
The Rams aren't the only team to fall into these traps with evaluating talent. Teams like the Browns have been doing this for years to no avail

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
That's the problem w the combine. Coaches fall in love with 40 times and cone drills. It's pure bs, tape on a player will show you all you need to know about their skills.
IE Brian Quick, Pead, Grob, and the list goes on and on.
The Rams aren't the only team to fall into these traps with evaluating talent. Teams like the Browns have been doing this for years to no avail
I call upside, " Pie in the Sky ".

You sure are hungry for that pie. It sure looks good.
But unless a magic bean stalk pops up next to you, chances are that you'll never taste that pie.

Production is real.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Soul Surfer @Jacobarch

physical attributes are real....ceiling and floors....that's where GM's make the big bucks. You can't win drafting corners and wrs that run 4.6 or 4.7.....You can't win with a bunch of guys that have no explosion in their lower bodies. Jerry Rice really changed the game...a physical freak ( I don't care what his 40 times says) that matched up with the big boys. The key is to find one that still wants to work and get better. Not just happy to be in the league getting a check. It's mental too...work ethic plus that ability to process the information...

Potential means something...but it takes a keen eye to really see real potential...It takes a real coach to develop talent.

I Pead could play. Quick can play....Greg Robinson can play...he needs the correct coaching.They all did.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
I said upside is "pie in the sky".

A 40 time and what you described are known as "measurables".

"Upside" is a magical "projection" of where you think a player will be able to improve to.

So another words, that's just an opinion, projection or pure guesswork.

You shouldn't waste extremely high draft picks on opinion, projection or pure guesswork.

There are three annual contenders that come to mind that never waste their top 4 rounds on anything other than players that were solid producers in college.
New England
Pittsburgh
Green Bay

I can think of 2 teams that constantly pick players on upside and desperation. (Desperation being; trying to fill holes which leads to production projection)

Cleveland and Los Angeles.

Desperation is another thing that leads to bad drafts.
That is why I really like the fact that they're trying to fill holes through second-tier free agent moves this offseason. (other than left tackle which you can't have a second-tier player if you want to be successful in the passing game)

Now we can go BPA.
And thank goodness Cornerback is plentiful because we need a couple.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The way you make it less of a crapshoot is by using common sense and pick players that produced in college and the chances are they'll start producing when they're together on the field.