The Rams will decline Robinson's 5th year option

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Crazy stupid mistake by Snead.
His homer picks have really sucked.
That be grounds to fire the guy right there but let's see how he does this draft and how his other picks work out as far as O lineman with real coaching.
If Kromer finds that Wichmann, Donnal and Brown are bad, (like Isaiah Battle was) there's no reason to hang on to Snead that I can think of.
Robinson was highly rated by just about every analyst coming out of Auburn. That's some serious hindsight

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Instead of plugging Robinson at RT, why not try him at Guard? Wasn't that the position he played in college? Why make it more confusing for him? The coaches should have him lined up at Guard and tell him to crush the guy in front of him. How hard is that?
Snead explained this not long ago. The difficulty of playing each spot moves left to right. So in a nutshell greg has less responsibility than the others if he plays rt

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
What's really sad is the OT they passed on was the son of a guy who played for Fish and had a Hall of Fame career. I really hope the over-focus on freak athletes was a Fisher thing.
From what I read Boudreau was beating the table for Robinson. Boudreau had some one-on-one with him and felt he could coach him up.

You have to make common sense decisions on things like that.

Thinking you can magically coach someone up is based more on your ego than reality.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Let's hope this is the last time the rams choose high upside over solid footballer in the top 5 of the draft.

All the talk before the draft was grob needed alot to learn but upside was off the charts.

All the talk before the draft was Jason smith had insane upside at lt even though he'd only played there one season, converting from a te.

Well after these two colossal failures i have this to say - fuck insane upside, give me a player that can actually play football.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Boudreau was also a COLLOSAL coaching failure as a Rams OL coach and could not deal with a very SLOW learner to say the least. Even though Grob has spent a few weeks with some other talent during offseason it has'nt shown any progress. Coach Kromer is our last hope to redeem a very BAD choice in the premium spot he was taken. Plus a poster above over simplified the OG position by a mile. OG's are defending players like Aaron Donald. If Grob fails at ORT I doubt they waste much more time on him. When you pick that high you have to do aptitude evaluations before you pull the trigger. Especially coming from Auburn.

Boudreau was over praised for years as our OL coach. For what ? Other players like Battle might have been saved too. What a shame. Hope the new staff can finally turn this ship a 180.

I started singing that song about 3 years ago...By all accounts he was one of the best for many years..it seems to me that he had been living on his reputation for quite a while...Not that I'm smart or knowledgeable, it just seems obvious when there is virtually no useable "coaching up" going on for too long...

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The book is not yet shut on GRob.
The chapter titled "My time as a starting left tackle" did, that chapter was frustrating it will be known for the ton of blank pages & loaded with yellow flags. I liked chapter before better it was titled :owned:.

Last edited:

jap

Legend
If you are going to drafty a known project, you have to make the commitment to get him up to speed as quickly as reasonably possible. From my understanding this guy was not even looking at film his first few years. Even if there are no veteran player leaders to tell him what to do to be successful as a pro, you would think the coaches would feel it obligatory to get a guy with so much natural gifts going in the right direction.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
The chapter title " My time as a starting left tackle" did, That chapter was frustrating it will be known for the ton of blank pages & loaded with yellow flags.

This is hilarious
I hope Chapter 2 is "All The Right Moves"
As opposed to "My days as a Detroit Lions All Pro Gaurd"
Not picking up Greg Robinson's 5th year is smart, but if he's such a bust why is this regime publically stating he's our new RT while moving Havenstein inside
Kromer must have something in mind - or like Den said we are gonna draft OLinemen early and often in the 2017 draft - i mean, why move Havensten inside and GRob to guard if he sucks so bad???
He's got talent for sure and upside - maybe Kromer is the guy to get down to the nuts and bolts ans turn this guy i to something we all thought would be special

Last edited:

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
By the way I'm in Seattle today

image.jpeg

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Robinson was highly rated by just about every analyst coming out of Auburn. That's some serious hindsight
And if the Rams let him walk, he wont be on the street very long looking for work.
Yes he's been a disappointment but he's had lots of PT where you would say, Damn he can maul

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And if the Rams let him walk, he wont be on the street very long looking for work.
Yes he's been a disappointment but he's had lots of PT where you would say, Damn he can maul
Agree. Could still bust royally but we're not being fair blaming snead for picking a guy who was seem almost unanimously as a top prospect

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Agree. Could still bust royally but we're not being fair blaming snead for picking a guy who was seem almost unanimously as a top prospect
And like @CGI_Ram said as well, the guy has been durable and hasn't missed a game due to injury. To me, a bust is a player who cant get on the field as a starter either due to injury or performance.
He's been like a whipping boy for this team, Fisher had no issue with him for 3 years then all of a sudden this year, after finally starting Goff, he decides to bench him. What?
I'm glad they didn't pick up the option, let him earn his keep this season. But to your point, he was likely a top 5 pick no matter who drafted him. I'm still not convinced that had we taken Matthews, we'd be having the same conversation about him being a bust. Of course unlike Grob, he DID have some injury issues IIRC

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Instead of plugging Robinson at RT, why not try him at Guard? Wasn't that the position he played in college? Why make it more confusing for him? The coaches should have him lined up at Guard and tell him to crush the guy in front of him. How hard is that?

Greg Robinson is going to be the back up LT imho . They didn't say aren't going to resign him. This is the best thing The Rams could have done for there future right now .

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Maybe he should lose 50 lbs and convert back to TE...that could work. :yess:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Well it's not hindsight. I went round and round with a poster who is a offensive line coach at the college level.

My reasons were many;

Robinson simply did not have enough experience and there was simply not enough tape on him.

The primary job of a Left Tackle is pass blocking.
Robinson simply did not have enough experience and that Auburn offense at pass blocking. Can he do it? Who knows?

This is the number 2 pick in the draft, we can't afford to mess it up, we need a high-impact player.

The Rams have been a loser ever since they haven't had a Left Tackle. We need a sure fix.

Taylor Lewan was rated as the best Left Tackle before his senior year started.
Robinson wasn't even on the radar. It is never good to get caught up in the hoopla of a championship when you're drafting an individual player.
Lewan and Matthews have prototype left tackle builds.

Robinson is built like a Guard.

I mention that I thought Robin said were to have trouble with speed rushers but had no idea he would be a penalty machine.

I also had no idea he would be THAT bad.

You just have to go with the more sure thing in two highly rated players who maintained their rating at the end of the year.... so not hindsight.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Unbelievable how the career paths of GRob and Donald, both from the same draft and only 11 picks apart, have taken such opposite directions.

One looking like a future HOF'er, the other like a colossal bust.

The draft is clearly not an exact science. Lol.

Agreed but in fact your looking at a player in Greg Robinson who has a lot of talent ?? Which we will find out to be true or not this season.
--From listening to Snead who was from Auburn. The signing of Whitworth buys The Rams time for Greg Robinson to play LT.

--Look at Tru & Jenkins ?? I like the position The Rams are in now with Greg Robinson .Could you imagine having to sign him to a long term deal at a huge price ??

The Rams have not given up on him. He will be a core player moving forward IMO

Your a guy about learning new positions . Greg Robinson is still very young in NFL years. He will be in his prime in 4 years from now.
Don't be surprised if they sign him to a long term contract before the season !!

I have to LOL now that I think even more about people posting & then The Rams mistakes .

The Rams signed Tavon to a huge contract this last year , but they did not extend him . Greg Robinson will be signed on the cheap !!! He will be The Rams LT in 2020 !! Great to think ahead ??
Aaron Donald gets extended to 5 years
& franchised for 2 years. A DT does not make what a CB makes. Tru this year will be making more than Donald 3 years from now ???
I think The Rams Fans(front office Demoff) need to look ahead as well.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
They didn't say aren't going to resign him. This is the best thing The Rams could have done for there future right now .
Exactly, his fifth year option would be around 11 million which is obviously way above his price range,Whitworth will be around 12 million next season. I think the coaching staff will wait to see how Robinson does before they decide to resign him. And it would be much cheaper at RT than LT.