The Rams will decline Robinson's 5th year option

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Greg Robinson - T - Rams
The Los Angeles Times' Gary Klein reports the Rams will decline 2014 first-rounder Greg Robinson's fifth-year team option for 2018.

Duh. The No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 draft, Robinson has been a colossal bust. He's arguably been the worst left tackle in the sport since entering the league and is now being flipped to right tackle by the Sean McVay coaching staff. We doubt he proves much better there. The Rams haven't been able to find a capable left tackle since Hall of Famer Orlando Pace moved on, and they smartly plugged the hole with veteran Andrew Whitworth as a priority free agent.

Source: Gary Klein on Twitter
Apr 12 - 12:44 PM

99Balloons

Pro Bowler
Name
G
Instead of plugging Robinson at RT, why not try him at Guard? Wasn't that the position he played in college? Why make it more confusing for him? The coaches should have him lined up at Guard and tell him to crush the guy in front of him. How hard is that?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Crazy stupid mistake by Snead.
His homer picks have really sucked.
That be grounds to fire the guy right there but let's see how he does this draft and how his other picks work out as far as O lineman with real coaching.
If Kromer finds that Wichmann, Donnal and Brown are bad, (like Isaiah Battle was) there's no reason to hang on to Snead that I can think of.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Instead of plugging Robinson at RT, why not try him at Guard? Wasn't that the position he played in college? Why make it more confusing for him? The coaches should have him lined up at Guard and tell him to crush the guy in front of him

Pretty sure he had a year-and-a-half as a left tackle.
His measurables at the combine excetera are what really got scouts excited along with the fact that he can really move for a big man.

I mean why take a four-year starter like Taylor Lewan or Jake Matthews when you can get a guy with upside? :D

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Okay how does the Tackle pool look for the 2018 draft?

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Grob better get his shyt together and turn it around. My big fear is he walks, another team takes a flyer on him and they get him to play, even making a pro bowl or two and ends up anchoring LT for them for 10 plus years.

Just the kind of buzzad luck the Rams don't need but end up with. But I get it. 4 years and 2 coachings staffs and he still can't get it, its time to move on.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Crazy stupid mistake by Snead.
His homer picks have really sucked.
That be grounds to fire the guy right there but let's see how he does this draft and how his other picks work out as far as O lineman with real coaching.
If Kromer finds that Wichmann, Donnal and Brown are bad, (like Isaiah Battle was) there's no reason to hang on to Snead that I can think of.

What's really sad is the OT they passed on was the son of a guy who played for Fish and had a Hall of Fame career. I really hope the over-focus on freak athletes was a Fisher thing.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The thing is, IF he develops into a mauler on the right side, he can get a new Rams contract that will make him happy. It'll have to be a lot more cap friendly that were he a LT but it's doable.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Unbelievable how the career paths of GRob and Donald, both from the same draft and only 11 picks apart, have taken such opposite directions.

One looking like a future HOF'er, the other like a colossal bust.

The draft is clearly not an exact science. Lol.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The draft is clearly not an exact science. Lol.

Truth. It's roughly 56% in round one of players who become legit starters. If you want to talk Pro Bowl or Hall of Fame types it's of course waaay lower. And of course those are the guys who change team destinies.

This is why I say Les just needs to hit on the picks this year now that he's the boss. I don't care if some are at positions we don't view as needs, just get the guy you rate the highest, that you feel has the best chance to succeed and maybe be a high end player.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Good. He will have to earn his way to a new contract, whether it be us, or someone else. Wake the hell up, GRob, you've made me look bad by supporting you all these years. Wake up, man!

To the Guard question, and I hate to say this, I don't think the Rams think he is smart enough to play Guard. I think his, possible learning, processing of info problem, has really held him back. I don't know this as fact, but a lot of signs point towards this.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
he is not even close to the worse tackle in the league but its good they will make him earn that new contract.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Boudreau was also a COLLOSAL coaching failure as a Rams OL coach and could not deal with a very SLOW learner to say the least. Even though Grob has spent a few weeks with some other talent during offseason it has'nt shown any progress. Coach Kromer is our last hope to redeem a very BAD choice in the premium spot he was taken. Plus a poster above over simplified the OG position by a mile. OG's are defending players like Aaron Donald. If Grob fails at ORT I doubt they waste much more time on him. When you pick that high you have to do aptitude evaluations before you pull the trigger. Especially coming from Auburn.

Boudreau was over praised for years as our OL coach. For what ? Other players like Battle might have been saved too. What a shame. Hope the new staff can finally turn this ship a 180.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
GRob expressed his displeasure on moving to Guard several times. So the Rams acting in good faith in offering a shot at RT.
For this to work he has to a better RT than Havenstien and Havenstien has to a better RG than anyone else.
Thats a big order since a healthy Havenstein is one of the better RT's in the league when healthy and GRob is the worst LT.
Since with the proliferation of 3-4 defenses there is very little difference between sides anymore. DC's will find a scab and pick it.
And how does switching sides stop the mind numbing game losing penalties????
Either GRob excels at RT early in camp or he goes to a meeting and comes out a Guard or on the waiver wire.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think GRob got the short end by being coached by Paul Boudreau. Name me one player Boo has "coached up". But that's still no excuse for 3 years of "not getting it".
I've defended GRob throughout, but this season, if Kromer can't get him to perform, I'm all for sitting him down and playing someone more promising. He has to get it this TC. I just hope Kromer is all he needs. This is year 4, he has to have learned something.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Grob better get his shyt together and turn it around. My big fear is he walks, another team takes a flyer on him and they get him to play, even making a pro bowl or two and ends up anchoring LT for them for 10 plus years.

Just the kind of buzzad luck the Rams don't need but end up with. But I get it. 4 years and 2 coachings staffs and he still can't get it, its time to move on.

You can't fix what ails GRob.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I mean why take a four-year starter like Taylor Lewan or Jake Matthews when you can get a guy with upside? :D
Fisher-01_e2xet4.gif