The Rams are going to ruin Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
75.7%

So to get a measly 57 yards, he had to fight for 44 of them. He only had 13 clean yards provided by scheme and blocking.

Thirteen. Yards.

Fisher needs to be gone. Not even worth getting worked over any more.

We have two "franchise" players on offense. One is getting his brains beaten out with sub-optimal scheme and play-calling that opposing players are being remarkably candid about. Rarely do opposing players want to give such info away in season, but it's almost as if they can't stand to see Gurley be lost in the time warp and and become another Steven Jackson. The other is Jared Goff who has become our Schrödinger's QB, both first ballot HOF and pure rookie with untainted potential (that answer from the chat was the best answer in maybe all of sports). In both cases, rather than adapt to the modern NFL, both "franchise" players are struggling to produce because Fisher is intent on doing it his way.

I don't think any player could succeed in this scheme. I do think there are easily 10 coaching staffs that would have SIGNIFICANTLY more success with our existing roster than our current staff, ESPECIALLY on offense.

That's why Fisher needs to be gone.

I'll even borrow money, rent an office and do the firing myself. But the 'Stache needs to go. The sooner the better.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I fear the Rams will ruin Gurley. I fear they will destroy one of the bright stars in the game because they don't know how to run an offense. They don't know quarterbacks. The head coach, Jeff Fisher, doesn't know modern offensive football. He still coaches like it's the 1980s, where you can throw the ball 20 times a game with a crappy quarterback and rely on the running game and defense.
Really? You "fear it"? Take a Midol, Sally.

One of the reasons articles like this are so easily ignored is because of the ignorance coupled with the hyperbole. The "Rams" don't know how to run an offense, they don't know quarterbacks, and the coach doesn't know modern offensive football. This screams PMSing football fan more than it does Professional writer. Wah, he coaches like it's the 80's. Wah. They only throw 20 times a game with a crappy quarterback and they rely on the run game and defense. Wah. My whole world is crashing down around me. Wah.

Bitch.

This model that "doesn't work anymore" has been used by a few teams the past few years, including two Superbowl winners. And things that worked in the 80's still work today. Don Shula and Dan Marino had an offense with 5000 passing yards, and they made it to a Superbowl. That doesn't work anymore, I assume. Their opponent had a combined 5000 yards passing, and they won it. The year before, a passing team won it all too (Raiders). The year after, a rushing team won it all (Redskins). Fast forward to "modern football", and in 2007, a balanced team won the SB with 3300 yds passing, and 2100 yds rushing. Same thing in 2008. Balanced offense, great defense. Same thing in 2012. Same thing in 2013. Same thing in 2015. It's not about what you do during the season, it's about what you do during the post-season. Almost all SB winning teams tightened up considerably on defense in order to keep advancing while their offenses tailed off. Seattle in 2013 and Denver in 2015 didn't even have more than 215 yards passing in any single game out of all of their 6 postseason games combined. Doesn't work? That prehistoric defense and run game thing? Doesn't work? Yeah. Okay.

I'd much rather these wannabe douchenozzle writers just come out and say what they wanna say and stop pussyfooting around with lazily research articles that amount to nothing more than a hodgepodge of regurgitated cliches. Just say you hate Jeff Fisher and you hate watching football that isn't vertical and exciting. That's all you have to do. Don't feign concern for Todd Gurley like he's your adopted child. That's just stupid.

And so is this.

We've seen this with the Rams before. It happened with the great Eric Dickerson, who never had an elite passing quarterback. No, he wasn't ruined, but two things on that.

One, he was Eric Freaking Dickerson. The only runners in history, to me, better than Dickerson were Jim Brown and O.J. Simpson. He was a freak. Gurley is outstanding, but isn't on that freak level.

Two, while Dickerson's quarterbacks weren't great, they were still better than Keenum and Foles.

"This approach is gonna ruin Gurley like it ruined Dickerson. Wait. It actually didn't ruin Dickerson because he didn't have Nick Foles."

Stupid shit just keeps getting more stupid.

/rant over. :D

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
I feel like Gurleys game is almost directly a result of QB play, at least behind a below average line. Notice how he has only one 100+ yard game since Keenum took over....ONE.

People bring up Christian Ponder and AP, but people also forget that Christian Ponder had Percy Harvin running routes. He had a gun on him so teams had to respect the deep pass. Foles had a nice deep ball...Keenum, not so much.

Once Goff gets in there and starts hitting those intermediate and deep passes more frequently, Gurley is going on a tear. Fingers crossed it starts against Carolina.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Anther pizz poor sportswriter who doesn't do the homework.

Three glaring reason's why Gurley isn't getting the yards he did last year. Not the same OL, new OC and still the youngest team in the NFL.

Gurley is too talented, he WILL break out.

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
The writer of this article was 99% right. the 1% being Foles is no longer on the team.

they don't know how to run an offense. CHECK
They don't know quarterbacks. CHECK
The head coach, Jeff Fisher, doesn't know modern offensive football. TRIPLE CHECK

The OL is new???? That's not what I heard coming into this season. What I heard was the last 4 games the OL was the best in football.
New OC? So now the Rams hire new OC's and expect to train them for 4 years until they know what they are doing?
They are still the youngest team? Great we win the superbowl for having the youngest team year after year.
Again it amazes me how someone can state obvious facts and people and this board will call them "bitch" etc... just because they dare speak the truth about this Rams team. Hey people news flash the Rams under Jeff Fisher are getting worse each year.

And Gurley will never be able to gain more yards until the OL is upgraded. That is the #1 problem with this offense and starting with the LT.

Last edited:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Again it amazes me how someone can state obvious facts and people and this board will call them "bitch" etc... just because they dare speak the truth about this Rams team. Hey people news flash the Rams under Jeff Fisher are getting worse each year.
Are you really amazed? Like, for real amazed?

Well, here's how you handle that. You recognize that people have different opinions about the quality and content of the article and you respect that.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
go back and look then. 2 of the 5 that started on the OL Gurley was breaking out behind are not on this OL, and it shows. Last year Saffold started next to GRob and they sucked til he got hurt and when they put Brown and then Reynolds, holes started opening up. But now Brown is on the bench, Reynolds is gone and Saffold is back next to GRob and the OL is back to sucking.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't know if Gurley will be ruined or not in Fisher's offense. But he's in danger of suffering the same fate Steven Jackson did. A good player on a lousy team. But there some work to do if he's to be on Jackson's level. So far he hasn't done well. How much of it is him I'm not sure. Its clear the blocking is bad. And defenses stack the box with as many players as it will take to stop him because they don't respect the passing game. In a Fisher offense that will always be the case.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
The writer of this article was 99% right. the 1% being Foles is no longer on the team.

they don't know how to run an offense. CHECK
They don't know quarterbacks. CHECK
The head coach, Jeff Fisher, doesn't know modern offensive football. TRIPLE CHECK

The OL is new???? That's not what I heard coming into this season. What I heard was the last 4 games the OL was the best in football.
New OC? So now the Rams hire new OC's and expect to train them for 4 years until they know what they are doing?
They are still the youngest team? Great we win the superbowl for having the youngest team year after year.

And Gurley will never be able to gain more yards until the OL is upgraded. That is the #1 problem with this offense and starting with the LT.

Its his second year in the league, we all know the line sucks this year and not one defense is going to take Keenum seriously. I don't worry about Gurley's future 1 bit, again its only his second season and every defense is just focused on stopping him. Once Goff comes in, teams will have no choice but to back up and respect his arm strength. Most running backs take a while to learn the NFL system and Todd already has it down, just needs some help .

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
go back and look then. 2 of the 5 that started on the OL Gurley was breaking out behind are not on this OL, and it shows. Last year Saffold started next to GRob and they sucked til he got hurt and when they put Brown and then Reynolds, holes started opening up. But now Brown is on the bench, Reynolds is gone and Saffold is back next to GRob and the OL is back to sucking.

Saffold sucks ! , he is either injured or stinking it up on the field, don't know why they continue to play this guy.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
I have to say that the most disappointing thing about this years rams is the O line. And the struggles with running the ball clearly shows how much they have regressed.
Goff might help loosen up the run game somewhat, but until they develop good players and coaching of the line they will continue to suck. A great running back might be productive in spite of a poor line but he will never have a great year without blocking.