The Rams are going to ruin Todd Gurley

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
hi-res-e02930ed343cc32e3924aa761b1e29f4_crop_north.jpg

The Rams' grand return to Los Angeles next year will feature one of the worst quarterback situations in football: the law firm of Keenum and Foles.

That's Case Foles and Nick Keenum. Sorry, my bad. Case Keenum and Nick Foles.

The only teams that might be worse are a Ryan Fitzpatrick-less Jets and the Browns. But even if the Rams' QB situation isn't the worst, it is the most worrisome. Because of the effect it could have on Todd Gurley. What will this do to one of the more promising players in football?

Without a quarterback that scares defenses and causes eight-man fronts to loosen up, Gurley will be constantly targeted. He will face clogged fronts, and all of the hitting will shorten and dampen his career.

I fear the Rams will ruin Gurley. I fear they will destroy one of the bright stars in the game because they don't know how to run an offense. They don't know quarterbacks. The head coach, Jeff Fisher, doesn't know modern offensive football. He still coaches like it's the 1980s, where you can throw the ball 20 times a game with a crappy quarterback and rely on the running game and defense.

hi-res-61bfe393595de1a45f6d606bcce191c2_crop_exact.jpg

Rob Carr/Getty Images

That's a formula few teams use today. Even the Seahawks morphed into an explosive passing offense.

We've seen this with the Rams before. It happened with the great Eric Dickerson, who never had an elite passing quarterback. No, he wasn't ruined, but two things on that.

One, he was Eric Freaking Dickerson. The only runners in history, to me, better than Dickerson were Jim Brown and O.J. Simpson. He was a freak. Gurley is outstanding, but isn't on that freak level.

Two, while Dickerson's quarterbacks weren't great, they were still better than Keenum and Foles.

I think Gurley could be the next Adrian Peterson. But not with these Rams. Not with Fisher. Not taking handoffs from Keenum or Foles. No way.

So good luck, Mr. Gurley. You are immensely talented, and with a competent franchise, you might be historic.

Too bad you're not with a competent franchise.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...tance-rams-incompetence-will-cost-todd-gurley

ProGen

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"...they don't know how to run an offense. They don't know quarterbacks. The head coach, Jeff Fisher, doesn't know modern offensive football. He still coaches like it's the 1980s, where you can throw the ball 20 times a game with a crappy quarterback and rely on the running game and defense."

Can't argue with that! How long have we been trying to build & run an offense now? Must be a decade in the making...

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Didn't Adrian Peterson have Christian Ponder handing off to him the year he went over 2000 yards? And didn't he lead the league at 30? Its not like Keenum and Foles will be handing off to him for the next 8 years. I imagine Gurley relishes the idea of running 300 times this year.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I'm not worried. So much wrong with that "article". Just off hand:
  • The season hasn't started yet. I bet Foles isn't even on the opening day roster. It is virtually guaranteed that this is not our final QB depth chart.
  • No mention of Sean Mannion?
  • The "author" does not even offer a solution. "The Rams missed out on signing the great Brick Offliner.."
  • Case Keenum is better than Dieter Brock.
  • The writer resorts to ad hominem attack. Stealing a page from Miko Grimes playbook. "Good luck Todd Gurley. Too bad you're not with a competent franchise." :palm: Is there ANY editing at BR?

fearsomefour

Legend
Running backs always get ruined. Most are shot or on the downside by 30.
He was not overused last year despite the pathetic passing game.
If the situation was reversed....a bright young QB with no running game would the article be the same? No. Because QBs can play a long time. It is the position, not the team.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
This kind of article is not my cup of tea. I read two sentences.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
  • Case Keenum is better than Dieter Brock.
If someone had told a young Fatbot 30 years ago that in the future, someone on something called the internet would be happily claiming the QB is "better than Dieter Brock" as a positive sign to the upcoming Rams season, my younger self would have been quite disillusioned and surely turned to a life of crime and debauchery. (Thankfully it turns out I only turned to one of the two.)

Don't get me wrong, I love winning a playoff game with 50 yards passing and 248 yards rushing:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
If someone had told a young Fatbot 30 years ago that in the future, someone on something called the internet would be happily claiming the QB is "better than Dieter Brock" as a positive sign to the upcoming Rams season, my younger self would have been quite disillusioned and surely turned to a life of crime and debauchery. (Thankfully it turns out I only turned to one of the two.)

Don't get me wrong, I love winning a playoff game with 50 yards passing and 248 yards rushing:

:snicker: Hilarious Fatbot. :huh: Wait. Is it crime or debauchery?

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
hi-res-e02930ed343cc32e3924aa761b1e29f4_crop_north.jpg

The Rams' grand return to Los Angeles next year will feature one of the worst quarterback situations in football: the law firm of Keenum and Foles.

That's Case Foles and Nick Keenum. Sorry, my bad. Case Keenum and Nick Foles.

The only teams that might be worse are a Ryan Fitzpatrick-less Jets and the Browns. But even if the Rams' QB situation isn't the worst, it is the most worrisome. Because of the effect it could have on Todd Gurley. What will this do to one of the more promising players in football?

Without a quarterback that scares defenses and causes eight-man fronts to loosen up, Gurley will be constantly targeted. He will face clogged fronts, and all of the hitting will shorten and dampen his career.

I fear the Rams will ruin Gurley. I fear they will destroy one of the bright stars in the game because they don't know how to run an offense. They don't know quarterbacks. The head coach, Jeff Fisher, doesn't know modern offensive football. He still coaches like it's the 1980s, where you can throw the ball 20 times a game with a crappy quarterback and rely on the running game and defense.

hi-res-61bfe393595de1a45f6d606bcce191c2_crop_exact.jpg

Rob Carr/Getty Images

That's a formula few teams use today. Even the Seahawks morphed into an explosive passing offense.

We've seen this with the Rams before. It happened with the great Eric Dickerson, who never had an elite passing quarterback. No, he wasn't ruined, but two things on that.

One, he was Eric Freaking Dickerson. The only runners in history, to me, better than Dickerson were Jim Brown and O.J. Simpson. He was a freak. Gurley is outstanding, but isn't on that freak level.

Two, while Dickerson's quarterbacks weren't great, they were still better than Keenum and Foles.

I think Gurley could be the next Adrian Peterson. But not with these Rams. Not with Fisher. Not taking handoffs from Keenum or Foles. No way.

So good luck, Mr. Gurley. You are immensely talented, and with a competent franchise, you might be historic.

Too bad you're not with a competent franchise.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...tance-rams-incompetence-will-cost-todd-gurley
My reply to this ... ( for Brevities sake!) First a present for the writer ..

shovel.gif

"YOU KNOW!!..
Ain't right.jpg

BS!.gif

shove it.gif

" Now I feel better!!"

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I say lets put Todd Gurley on the bench & protect him from ruin for the first 4 yrs of his Ram contract so he can be fresh & well preserved for some serious use by another NFL who signs for his services after his 1st contract is done here. Because that's the right proper thing to do.

Ramatik

Starter
I'm worried that this may be a little true.... :(

I'm not.

That was an article? sheesh

Ruin a running back.

By letting him run.

Foles was pretty bad most of his games last year. I didn't feel like TG was getting ruined.

CK came within a missed field goal of winning four straight as the QB at the end of the season.

No, I wasn't too impressed with that final performance, but TG was too busy not getting ruined to make a difference I guess.

Where does this stuff come from?

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
Not too concerned about ruining Gurley. We can easily keep his carrier in a reasonable range given the depth we have at the position, and how well this regime identifies talent at the RB position. I'm far more concerned about *wasting* Gurley, in that we will not field a contender by the time he either leaves the organization for greener pastures or retires a Ram.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
Gotta love the media. The same people who dub this part of the the offseason "the lying season" Believe Snisher when they Keenum is the QB going into OTAs.

Its like these reporters get their information from twitter instead of a 5 minute interview. They pickup on Keenum is a starter but they also ignore the part where they say going into OTAs and the 3 million other contradicting things they say about the QB position. All about the headlines not the story. The story is Keenum at 3.5 mil on a year deal is worth more than whatever you pay RGIII or Fitzpatrick in this bloated market.