The Quarterback Sneak: Most Unstoppable Play?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
NFL's Short-Yardage Strategy: Hiding the Sneak?
by Scott Kacsmar

Before the 2013 season started I did a study of the most unstoppable play in the NFL: the quarterback sneak. When something works over 85 percent of the time regardless of the quarterback's height, speed and other abilities, then how does this not become a more widespread play call when a team needs a yard? Wouldn't the Colts be better off letting Andrew Luck pick a spot to squeeze in a few inches behind his center than to hand off to Trent Richardson four yards in the backfield? Using the quarterback as a short-yardage weapon more often is something every team should look into. After crunching the numbers for 2013, I can say the results were on par with past years, except for one major difference.

Quarterbacks carried the ball on third-and-short at the lowest rate (7.6 percent) in five years and the lowest rate on fourth-and-short (14.9 percent) since 2000. There was a 35 percent decrease on third-and-1 runs by the quarterback in 2013 compared to 2009-12. So instead of seeing the usual 90-100 of those plays, there were just 61 this season.

Despite a league built with the biggest, fastest, most athletic group of quarterbacks in NFL history; an unrivaled attention to safety and protection of those players; massive offensive linemen; and the liberty to make the quarterback an effective runner, the most unstoppable play in the game mysteriously went back into hiding. Just when you think you've planted a flag for "Analytics" into the NFL landscape, a tank runs it right over.

Did the conversion rates justify the suboptimal decision making from this past season? Let's examine.

Read rest of article and data at the link

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Wait a minute... last week it was the extra point try for 1.