The Predictability of the Offense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
One of the things that I found so maddening about our offense this year is just how predictable it is. Here's an example:

I have no experience with coaching a football team/scheming. But Thursday night (heck all season long), I pretty much knew if the play would be pass or a run. I was right more than 80% of the time. In addition, if it was a pass I knew if it would be a screen or designed pass to the flat before the play even began.

This is terrible. In no way, shape, or form should I be able to predict the type of play that will be run. I do NOT have enough experience in football to be able to do this, yet I could, with pretty darn good accuracy. This is, in my estimation, part of the reason this offense is so bad. We do not attack and everything that we run could be predicted way beforehand.

I remember last year this was not the case. I could predict it somewhat, but not nearly the rate I do now. I don't know what the happened.

Edit note:
It still seems way to hard to score with this team. Even when they drive down the field it feels like they got lucky doing it. I know it's not easy to score in the NFL, but sometimes it just seems like a team can't do it, if you know what I mean. This has been the case for the past five or more years.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Completely with you on this. I, too, had no trouble at all predicting what we were going to do on most plays. I have forced myself to rewatch the game 2x (which has been really hard to do this week).

Do we ever actually audible? It seems like we are making no adjustments out there whatsoever based on what the D is showing.

Of course, without execution, its possible that we are making adjustments and they just aren't doing any good. I see us line up against 6 in the box and run the ball (which is the right call) - but we are still getting stuffed.

Its like nothing has changed - the O Line isn't getting it done, the receivers aren't threatening, Sam is telegraphing his throws, the defense can't stop the run, flags fly way too often, and we give up huge plays in huge situations.

What a depressing first quarter of the season.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I just heard Wille McGinnist say that as a defensive guy when he looks at the Rams Offense it is just so vanilla, it's so easy for a defense to play.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
12intheBox said:
I see us line up against 6 in the box and run the ball (which is the right call) - but we are still getting stuffed.

If DRich would use vision and try something other then run striait at the pile of people we may fare better

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm stealing this quote from Wonderboy in his CIA thread;

And that brings us to our 2013 St. Louis Rams, the MPSOT (Most Predictable Show On Turf). And they're brutal in the first quarter. It is a very bad sign that defenses already have our offense "figured out" this early in the season and can stop everything we do without seeming to have to try that hard.

It was stunning to be in the dome last night. For those of you that weren't, remember how many sideline throws were undercut and almost picked off? When your routes are all the same in the same situations, the best receivers on earth can't "get separation."

It feels like the defense knows our play calls or something. If we don't execute to perfection we can't complete a pass because the defense is always "right there".

In addition; with all this new speed... why are we not blowing up coverages for a big play on occasion?

These are signs to me that we ARE predictable.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
And the worst part, they know that we aren't going vertical at all, so they just have to defend 5 yards across the field. And if the Dline doesn't get there, they just put up their hands, and knock down the short passes, because that's all we are doing.

fearsomefour

Legend
HE WITH HORNS said:
And the worst part, they know that we aren't going vertical at all, so they just have to defend 5 yards across the field. And if the Dline doesn't get there, they just put up their hands, and knock down the short passes, because that's all we are doing.

You could see that a couple of times in the Thursday night game....the Whiners would drop 4 guys equally spaced at the same depth and undercut all the routes. Maybe this was just standard zone but it really stood out how uniform their drops were and how the depth was perfect to cut the throwing lanes.
Getting depressed again.

Ebonemalone

Rookie
Rabid Ram said:
12intheBox said:
I see us line up against 6 in the box and run the ball (which is the right call) - but we are still getting stuffed.

If DRich would use vision and try something other then run striait at the pile of people we may fare better
+1