The Pre-Season NFL Major Injury Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Unfortunately this is part of the reality of being a player in the NFL. This thread is not for the usual bumps and bruises but for the major injuries that can cost a player a season or even his career.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...e-williams-out-for-season-with-torn-achilles/

Broncos’ Kyle Williams out for season with torn Achilles
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 1, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptu5ote2otkxztixndazymyxnguwytrmztzkzgi5njgy.jpeg
AP

Broncos receiver Kyle Williams suffered a season-ending injury at today’s training camp practice.

Williams has confirmed that he tore his Achilles and won’t play in 2015.

“Unfortunately, today I suffered an injury to my Achilles and will consequently be missing this season,” Williams wrote on Instagram. “It’s hard for me at this point to make sense of all of this but at the end of the day I understand and trust God’s plan for me. My determination to get back and my work ethic will not diminish and I will eventually get back to full strength. I appreciate all those who have reached out and all of those who are praying. You all mean more to me than u know. Thank you.”

Williams’s long injury history makes it questionable whether he’ll be able to make it back to the NFL. His 2013 season ended with a torn ACL, and in 2014 he didn’t play beyond the preseason after suffering a shoulder injury.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Oh man. I hate this thread.

Don't take it down... Just mean... Man I hate injuries, particularly in preseason.

RAGRam

Pro Bowler
Lets hope we're not in this thread this year, still don't think I'm over Cleveland :cry:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
This Kyle Williams is the same one who fumbled in that 49ers playoff game and got death threats for it from his own fans. I really feel for this guy.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/01/report-devin-smith-has-punctured-lung/

Report: Devin Smith has punctured lung
Posted by Mike Florio on August 1, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptc2zmjhnjbhotzjnta5mdfhmtu1owrhntzimjnkywfk.jpeg
AP

With the inevitable launch of training camps comes the inevitable parade of injuries. For the Jets, it turns out that the broken ribs suffered by rookie receiver Devin Smith also include damage to an internal organ.

Via Dom Cosentino of NJ.com, Smith suffered a “slightly” punctured lung as part of the injury that occurred after making a leaping catch at training camp.

His status for the regular-season opener against the Browns remains unknown. He’s expected to at least miss the rest of camp.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
A "slightly" punctured lung... isn't that like a "slightly" dead pirate?

JUMAVA68

Starter
Name
Manuel
So much can be lost with just 1 key injury and we've had our share that hopefully we go injury free in preseason and finally get all this talent going.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/02/matt-elam-may-have-torn-biceps-on-saturday/

Matt Elam may have torn his biceps on Saturday
Posted by Josh Alper on August 2, 2015

c59ba7f9295980a61711edcbf24d316b-e1387293659190.jpeg
AP

The Ravens spent the offseason talking about their hopes for better play from safety Matt Elam this season, but those hopes may have been dashed early in training camp.

Elam suffered an injury to his arm on Saturday and the Baltimore Sun reports that the team fears he tore his biceps. Elam will have an MRI on Sunday to determine the severity of the injury.

If Elam completely tore his biceps, there’s a good chance that he’ll miss the entire season. A partial tear would require a much shorter recovery period that could put Elam back on the field sometime in September.

Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome said in May that the Ravens haven’t been satisfied with the 2013 first-round pick’s play during his first two seasons with the team. Defensive coordinator Dean Pees praised Elam later in the offseason, but that may be moot if the MRI reveals a serious injury.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-stephen-hill-injury-you-knew-it-wasnt-good/

Panthers coach on Stephen Hill injury: “You knew it wasn’t good”
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 2, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwq3otbkndm4ngyxotnindi4yzdhnjyzmwnjnzm5zjg0.jpeg
AP

The Panthers saw something in Stephen Hill the rest of us didn’t, and were willing to stick by him despite his arrest just before camp on drug paraphernalia charges.

That’s why it was painful for them to see the wide receiver go down in a heap yesterday in practice. The former Jets second-rounder, who joined the Panthers last year and spent time on the practice squad, suffered a serious-looking knee injury Saturday afternoon.

I felt like someone shot me in the gut,” Panthers wide receivers coach Ricky Proehl told Bill Voth of Black and Blue Review. “When you saw him go down, you knew it wasn’t good. He had such a great summer. You feel for him, all the hard work he’s put in. He was ready, he was ready. He had a great opportunity to help our football team. . . .

“He’s a great kid. He’s done nothing but work his tail off since Day One. For a guy to be drafted in the second round, come to us and be on the practice squad – he checked his ego at the door and did nothing but learn our offense, work his tail off, give our defense a great look at year. I just told him, ‘Your opportunity’s going to come, just keep working.’ He did everything I asked him to do, and I hurt for him, I really do.”

Hill’s getting an MRI on his right knee, but no one is expecting good news, after he went down awkwardly, screaming in pain while clutching the back of his right knee. He stayed down for several moments, as practice fell silent, with General Manager Dave Gettleman rushing over after trainers.

The team didn’t offer any updates, primarily since head coach Ron Rivera is at his brother’s funeral and they wanted to give him a little more bad news first. And clearly, it’s bad news.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...off-with-right-leg-injury/?wprss=rss_redskins
The Insider
Bashaud Breeland carted off with right leg injury
cc0121438293490.jpg

Bashaud Breeland, left, defends wide receiver Reggie Bell Thursday at training camp. On Friday, he went down with a leg injury. (John McDonnell/The Washington Post)
Second-year cornerback Bashaud Breeland had to be carted off the practice field on Friday after suffering an apparent right leg injury.

Breeland was hurt during the 1-on-1 segment early in Friday’s practice. Breeland dropped into coverage against wide receiver Quinton Dunbar and as the two broke on the ball, Breeland tumbled to the ground and rolled over to his back, grabbing his right leg.
Teammates ran over and huddled around Breeland, who continued to writhe in pain, and knelt and joined hands in prayer as trainers evaluated him.

Breeland eventually was helped to a cart, and was taken inside for further evaluation.

Redskins officials would not confirm the nature of Breeland’s injury or provide a projected time frame for his recovery.

According to a source, he’s expected to miss four to six weeks with a sprained medial collateral ligament. That could sideline him for the Sept. 13 season opener against Miami at Fed Ex Field.

Breeland, a fourth-round pick in 2012, is coming off of a strong rookie season in which he recorded 66 tackles, two interceptions and two forced fumbles.

Earlier on Friday, Breeland learned that he would have to serve a one-game suspension to start the season as punishment for the citation for simple possession of marijuana, which is a misdemeanor, that he received at the end of the 2014 training camp.

Breeland originally was scheduled to address reporters about his suspension at the conclusion of Friday’s practice.

Under NFL policy, Breeland will serve his one-game suspension, which was announced earlier in the day, in Week 1 regardless of his injury status. That’s good news for the second-year cornerback, who won’t have to wait until medically cleared to serve his suspension.

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/02/stephen-hill-diagnosed-with-torn-acl/

Stephen Hill diagnosed with torn ACL
Posted by Josh Alper on August 2, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwyxndg3ndg5zdrkmzmwmzzjyjk0yzlmmduzngm4ndkx-e1438541498366.jpeg
AP

The feeling around the Panthers was that the knee injury suffered by wide receiver Stephen Hill on Saturday was a serious one and those feelings were proven correct on Sunday.

Assistant head coach Steve Wilks, who is filling in for Ron Rivera this weekend while Rivera is attending his brother’s funeral, announced that Hill tore his ACL. The team placed Hill on waivers with the injured designation, which means he’ll be placed on injured reserve for the team if he clears waivers.

“It’s tough anytime you lose a player,” Wilks said, via the team’s website. “We’re just praying that Stephen has a quick recovery, and we’ll move forward.”

Hill was a second-round pick by the Jets in 2012 and caught 45 passes in two years with the team before joining the Panthers practice squad last season. Hill’s issues with drops hastened his exit from the Jets, but the Panthers were hopeful that his size and speed would help them this season.

The Panthers signed undrafted rookie wide receiver Paul Browning.

Alan

Legend
A55VA6 bringing good news:
UPDATE: Lewis told reporters after Sunday's practice that preliminary reports suggest Johnson "should be OK," according to Dales, but he will still undergo tests.
Excellent! I'm hoping he'll sack Brady 4 or 5 times. (y)

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
I don't hope for injuries, but I'm wondering when Seattle will be hit with a major injury or two. They have been extremely fortunate the last few years, which is one reason why they have been so good.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/08/02/michael-johnson-has-grade-2-mcl-sprain/

Michael Johnson has Grade 2 MCL sprain
Posted by Mike Florio on August 2, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwjlmme3zmq2nzi3ntmwnjzinmviowu3odm2yzixmte11.jpeg
AP

The news isn’t bad for Bengals defensive end Michael Johnson. But it’s not as good as it could have been.

Per a league source, Johnson suffered a Grade 2 MCL sprain during practice on Sunday. He’s expected to be back in four weeks.

The MCL, a rope-like ligament, frays when injured to a mild-to-moderate degree. Surgery isn’t needed unless the injury is severe.

Johnson left the Bengals for the Buccaneers after the 2013 season. He was cut by Tampa after one season with the Bucs, choosing the Bengals over the Vikings.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...is-long-to-torn-acl-for-second-straight-year/

Eagles lose Travis Long to torn ACL for second straight year
Posted by Michael David Smith on August 3, 2015

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwrhodqxzgewowmxownizjnhmdk0yjiynwzjzjhkmgq0-e1438641377104.jpeg
Getty Images

Eagles linebacker Travis Long missed the entire season last year with a torn left ACL suffered in August. And now he’ll miss his second straight season after tearing the same ACL today.

The Eagles have confirmed that Long tore his left ACL in practice again today and will not play this season.

It’s obviously devastating news for a young man who now has to to be wondering if he’ll ever get to realize his dream of playing in the NFL. And it’s bad news for the Eagles, as well. Although Long wasn’t expected to be a big part of the defense, the Eagles don’t have a lot of depth at outside linebacker and thought Long could be a contributor there, and on special teams.

Long also tore his right ACL in 2012 at Washington State.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2022 TOP Member
Uh oh Sam better hope ACL injuries aren't contagious.