The pain of selling your instrument

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
As some of you know, my father in law passed in January. Well my mother in law is in bad health as well. She has stage 4 COPD. One lung work at only 4% while the other is at 25%. Two weeks ago she was at Barns Jewish Hospital in St.Louis to be evaluated for a lung transplant. They told her that she hasn't declined in the last year and is otherwise extremely healthy; great news. Well a few days after all of her test, she began to complain about chest pains. This woman is tough. She raised and broke horses and Rottweilers for years. Has worked in a tool sharpening shop that her and my father in law started 30 years ago. She doesn't complain. So we knew something was wrong. She finally agreed after hours of pleading to go to the hospital. The top part of her less useful lung collapsed. They did the procedure that required a tube in her side to inflate it. It worked, but after a few days there were still bubbles in the line, and fluid in her lung. Usually they would use a powder to help the lung heal, but her lungs are far to scarred to do that. So it's been over a week and they moved her to Big St.Johns in St.Louis and while she is in pain, she knows they will get her healed and is in good spirits when the pain is controlled. The kicker, she is my babysitter. So my wife has had to cut back her hours drastically to stay home with the kids. So I've reached that point where I have to sell my baby. My guitar is gonna have to find a new home to help me through that step. It's such a painful step. The thought irks me. Have any of you had to do something like this? Do you regret it? I know it will bring what I need, but it's just difficult.

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's just an Alverez Acoustic. It's only worth a few hundred, but that's all I need to supplement. But it's the only guitar I've ever owned. It's what I learned to play on. I bought it about 6 years ago from a buddy who never played it. Hell he didn't even know how to play it. I got it for $100. I think it's worth about $400 so I figure if I ask for 250 or so it should suffice. I just hate to do something so long term for a short term problem. I wonder if my wife wouldn't mind going to the truck stop and giving a few handies to make the money lol

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Sorry about your situation Juggs. I've had to hock a few nice pieces of the years. I sold a beat up 12-string acoustic and regretted every second of it when I did it. I still wish I had it back to this day. I also had to give up a nice Marshall amp for the stupid price of like $500. Makes me sick.

Just hang in there man. When times are hard, music always helps me find a little bit of peace. Sure you can't play your guitar, but you can always crack a beer and put on a song that helps to take you to another place.

Mr Chops

UDFA
Sold a Marshall cab, Sovtek 100 watt head and rare Holden combo amp for peanuts before I moved town 10 years ago. Stoopid.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
When I was in design college I had just gotten married were expecting a baby and was trying to just scrape by and pay for film processing so I could pursue my trade and had nothing to sacrifice to make ends meet but my giant GK head and EV stack
My buddy said he would buy it and I gave him the ridiculous price of $250
He was over the moon
But when I was driving to his pad I realized it was a steal
So I ask him if he wouldn't mind kicking in an extra $50 being as if we were good buds since high school, that he was rich, abd i was broke, and most of all cause the rig was worth way more
So he says "we made for $250 and you can't go back"
I got so mad - i dont know, maybe it was i was so desperate and angry, and to hear him respond like that, that I just snapped and told him to keep it and left
He kept it sure as sin
Never talked to the guy again
That fuel kept me going for years to do all I can to win and win with style and grace
And thank God things worked out in my favor as they will for you. Have faith

Mister Sin

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I ended up just taking a small loan out against my truck to get me through. This was the second time I thought I was gonna have to sell it. She missed a shit ton of work when her father died. But both times I've figured something out. Thank god i drive a Powerstroke! Lol

fearsomefour

Legend
Good call.
My advice was to deliver pizzas or something a couple nights a week or whatever instead of selling something you care about.
I actually gave my drum kit away. It was the first "real" kit I owned. Countless hours in the woodshed with that kit. Took it into the recording studio several times and on the road. Got a nod and "killer" from a rock legend while behind that kit and got a gun with laser sight pointed in my face while behind that kit.
Had a son, couldnt find any like minded players to hook up with....had to "grow up" and just lost the fire. Gave the kit to a kid I knew who decided he wanted to pick up the drums....I couldnt bring myself to sell it, seemed better to give it away....should have kept it.