The oline a couple of observations

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Speedr@m

Rookie
they need work whew!!!

Grob on the opening series was horrific.... I mean just bad. He looked like he was stuck in cement. The Colts defensive end was blowing past him. They had Kendricks come over and give him help on the second series he was so bad. Very nervous about Grob. I pray this is not Jason Smith all over again SMDH!!!

On the second series the Rams drove into the Colts redzone after overcoming a face mask call on Jones. Once there they had another face mask call this time on Rhaney and on the next play Havenstein allowed Foles to get sacked taking the Rams out of FG range altogether. How rare is it to have one face mask penalty let alone two on the same drive by the oline!

These are unfrogivable egregious errors and the same kinds of things we have seen in 4 years now of Jef Fisher

Guys IMO... the Rams are poorly coached. My eyes are set squarely on this headcoach

lockdnram21

Legend
something i noticed is when Brown got hurt and Reynolds came in we got push on the left side on that 1 decent run Pead had.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I have Sunday Ticket but I don't get the preseason games. So I didn't see first hand. But from all accounts, they haven't done anything the first 3 games to alleviate the concerns. Foles had some nice stats. That was good to see. But it won't do any good if the line can't protect him.

fearsomefour

Legend
Robinson is too much of a physical talent to be Smith. But, to me he should be at G still. Where he would pretty quickly dominate. But, they has cast him as a T. Ok....Need to see improved play as the season progresses from him. He came out super green and with bad technique....we knew this. He has enough physical talent to usually over come his playing out of balance.
Reynolds is a vet, a solid guy. Havenstein is concern with speed rushers.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watched the game yesterday (finally).

I was hoping for more this game (the "dress rehersal").

I have to say this game did not alleviate my Oline concerns.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Robinson has trouble with veteran rushers, or anyone with great technique really. Savvy vet Trent Cole was destroying him in this game.

If it's just a battle of athleticism, for the most part GRob can manage. But those polished rushers beat him every single time. He needs to really work on technique and footwork. I'm concerned about him. I was hoping it was just Khalil Mack being godly, but no.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Robinson has trouble with veteran rushers, or anyone with great technique really. Savvy vet Trent Cole was destroying him in this game.

If it's just a battle of athleticism, for the most part GRob can manage. But those polished rushers beat him every single time. He needs to really work on technique and footwork. I'm concerned about him. I was hoping it was just Khalil Mack being godly, but no.

I would expect that to happen, with 8 games experience at LT.

I pray this is not Jason Smith all over again SMDH!!

Can we please stop this comparison? It ends with that they were both the 2nd pick in their draft. That's it. Jason Smith had concussion issues and possibly not giving a shit after. We haven't seen any indication of that from Greg Robinson.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
I would expect that to happen, with 8 games experience at LT.

Can we please stop this comparison? It ends with that they were both the 2nd pick in their draft. That's it. Jason Smith had concussion issues and possibly not giving a crap after. We haven't seen any indication of that from Greg Robinson.

Oh no, I understand it. That's what should happen, what I would expect to happen.

The problem is, that's not what we need to happen. We need him to be great this year. This is a pretty big year for us.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
For some reason last game kind of calmed down my OL panic a bit. I think it's because I was so focused on B.Jones, and I thought he had a good enough showing to be the starting C. The sooner that's settled the better.

Honestly I couldn't see it too well, but it looked to me that the Jones facemask penalty was a slip of the hands, not a "reach out and grab the guy because he was getting beat". It probably should have been called "illegal hands to the face", which would have avoided a lot of the "two facemasks?? that never happens!" that's helping fuel not just the OL panic but the overall penalty panic, too.

GRob, yeah he should look better. But we're still talking about a young guy (8 starts at LT?) still learning in preseason, he's going to have mistakes. Who knows, maybe they have thrown a lot of new technique at him and he's getting reps looking worse while trying to break bad habits or something. Yes, admittedly this sounds like a lot of excuses that I usually scoff at, but for GRob I'm willing to be a hypocrite here -- I'm still excited that his future is solid.

My take right now is the OL we've seen isn't the OL we'll get in 10 days. Fisher/Bou have done a hell of a lot of OL mixing/matching to do massive evaluation (and a bit due to injury). For example G.Reynolds has looked solid, so in the real games he will man a guard spot in case of injury, not B.Washington -- although it scares me he's still on the roster!?!

Yes, in a perfect world the line would have been constructed and used the preseason to jell as a unit, hopefully we'll see some of that v. KC. Or else panic.

V3

Hall of Fame

I can see that but there are times I still see GRob straight up getting pushed backwards. That can be technique(like playing too high, etc) but other times it's just because they're outmatched physically. That's what I saw against Mack. Hammer had voiced his concerns about GRob losing so much weight in the off-season and losing his strength. I waited till I saw him in a few games before I made a judgement on his assessment and I'm starting to wonder if he was right. Maybe it's all just technique and it's hard to see it with the angles we have? Either way, it's something I'm going to be watching this season and that makes me a sad Sloth.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
something i noticed is when Brown got hurt and Reynolds came in we got push on the left side on that 1 decent run Pead had.

From my observations just on Garrett Reynolds alone.....where he has played OLG-ORG-ORT....he has done very well! The best I have seen from him so far was when he was teamed up with Cody Wichmann the 2nd half of the Colts game.

I had many detailed conversations with flv since he was signed as a Ram....(you can search them if you desire they are good pros & cons on him) one of the main concerns was he was more ORG & not much OLG or even less ORT. If you have the ability go back & watch the 2nd half right side OL....GR looked good @ OT.

I would also say GR has put on some very good bulk for a near 6-7 frame. Boudreau & Snead did very good work in bringing in GR here. GR is far from being an Adam Goldberg.

If our very young inexperienced starting OT's (Robinson/Havenstein)continue to have pass pro issues & is getting our QB's killed.....then the Boudreau emergency plan may have to be implemented....where GR starts @ ORT & Saffold starts @ OLT.

GabesHorn

GRACE AND TRUTH
Our great poster Rams43 posted this long but super informative experience by a fellow Ramsfan on the sidelines of the last pre-season game. Its a must read if he has'nt already posted it here elsewhere and I must have missed it. Its great insight to what we all would love to experience with our team. Lots of focus on our OL that fits in perfect for this thread. I'm not the poster who wrote this. GREAT READ!!! Enjoy ...

First, a little background on this poster. His job with his employer involves a contract with the Rams and allows him sideline access to one game per year. He posts about things he sees and overhears that none of us would ever know about otherwise. He has posted in this way for 3 years now. It sounds like the players and coaches are used to seeing him and speak quite plainly around him.

Side note: he clearly made a mistake regarding the switch of JB to LG and being replaced by Rhaney. His field level view is not ideal and he was going by his observation of JB and Hav always sitting together on the bench when the O was off the field.

I enjoy reading these unique perspectives and wanted to share.

One last thing. There is a bombshell comment overheard by the poster regarding our current OL in this report.

Here's Marshall's Faulk28HOF...

First I will start this off by saying I will not be on my laptop all day so if you have questions please ask them but I may not get back to you right away. But please ask just in case I forgot something... it may jog my memory.

So here goes:

I will start with Nick Foles. As i stated last night he has a ton of respect on this team. He has the leadership skills that I think have been missing on the sidelines. He isn't a rah rah guy but he is constantly in guys faces. Correcting guys, teaching encouraging guys. And it was a simple but nice touch when he stayed on the field when Brown went down. The guy simple gets it. Now of course he still has to win us over on the field starting Sept 13th, but I can definitely see why the guys on this team respond to him. I like Foles. I really do...If he is half way decent on the field we have our guy!

After he threw the TD to Givens he told Givens, "I trust you dude". He said "I couldn't see you breaking but I knew you would be there if I could throw it to the outside post. He said, Once, I saw the safety bite, I just wanted give you a chance to run under it." Givens told him, dude I got you! If you put it out there I'll go get it!

I really like Foles. Now I just hope all of this translates to the field and at that point I will love the guy! The "entire team" responds to him. Haven't seen that in a while...Keenum will be the back up(and he better be ready)...Mannion will be number 3 and Davis is gone IMO.

Which brings me to my next point. The offensive line.
crying.gif
:
This is a real concern guys. They are looking over matched and confused. If you cannot pass pro or open running lanes, Foles will be hurt soon or it will continue to be 3-downs and punt. Wash rinse repeat. Defense will be on the field too long and we all know how that goes.

G-Rob seemed like he wasn't locked in for some odd reason. He seemed as if he was in a daze or something and when he was getting beat like a turnstile, the only person talking to him was Saffold because Boudreau was to busy cussing out everyone else..they are sooooo young up front. The concerning thing was the Colts weren't doing anything complicated most times and these guys were simply getting beat one on one. Brown and Havenstein couldn't get on the same page to save their lives. This is where Boudreau spent most of his night, with these two. Havenstein is a massive human being and nasty. But he's isn't athletic at all and couldn't square his shoulders on the pass rush and it was driving Boudreau crazy! He and Brown couldn't pass guys off, guys were shooting their gaps and they both were recognizing it way too late hence the penetration in the back field. They are both thinking too much...Boudreau was losing his mind with these two...Guys we going to see Seattle's front 7 in 2 weeks (I could be wrong) but this is not looking good at the moment. And you could tell by Boudreau's stress level that he knows it.
smilie2.gif

Right now I see no one taking the lead at center. Jones was sloppy. Boudreau would give him the evil eye every time he came off the field. Barnes was ok. Just ok. On the zone blocking stuff, I think Barnes may be better suited for that IMO.

You all saw G-Rob on TV, he had decent moments but he had alot of bad moments. And Robert Mathis was in street clothes! He is having technique issues. Saffold is a pro's pro. He was constantly sitting with Robinson teaching and encouraging him. He kept telling him you have to stay focused on every single play and move your feet.
I am still waiting for the light to come on for him...I don't know if he was mad at himself or something else was going on with him, but he was very disengaged, then he would go back on the field and look sloppy and soft. He is much much thinner. He almost looks like a power forward, which I don't understand all the weight loss if you want to be a running physical offense. the bright spot was Rhaney at guard. Wow. He is a much better guard than center. He may beat out Brown if he can flip and play left guard. If Saffold goes down again I think he can step right in...He looked quick and athletic. Strong at the point of attack. He was the sole bright spot. At this point I flip him to the RG and let him start over Brown.

There is honest concern for this group. Fisher can give us all the PR :!: about the O-line, but this really concern. They are no where close to being cohesive.

The WRs. hmmmm...Givens' one big play. Next...

The RBs. There wasn't much going on with them simply because of the O-line play. Tre Mason was clearly frustrated with them...they were very quiet on the bench. I mean what could they say, there were no holes to be found.

Side note Gurley is big and lean...He's really young and acts like it. He was very engaging with the vets and they all seem to like him...but he sort of blew some young fans off that wanted his picture and he turned his back to them and Chris Long saw it and went over to him and physically turned him around so the kids could get their picture. He's pro now and he needs to learn a few things. Rookie stuff I guess.

Now the defense. Greg Williams was really relaxed up beat and looked very happy.
The D-line. They started off rocky. And no one can belt out cuss words like coach Mike Waufle. They were having communication issues in the run game in the beginning and JL55 couldn't get off blocks. And Herron was gashing that front 7. Waufle is a drill Sargent and his standards are high. But he knew they would eventually get it together and they did...it is apparent Long, Hayes,Quinn,Donald and Brockers love each other. They are a happy (and rich) band of misfits. Long was joking to some rookies, pointing at Quinn " that's what a 66 million dollar superstar looks like... " he told Martin Ifedi, you want get paid in this league play like him".
Donald is the man. I remember last year was a really quiet guy. Now he looks like an old season vet. The guy has earned his strips. Man, these guys are really really really good. If Brockers stays healthy this might be his break out year. These guys are so cohesive. You can just feel it when you are around them...Hayes is like the old man of the group. Quietly dispensing his wisdom. Chris Long and Quinn are constantly teaching the young guys.
Listen I have been a critic of Chris Long in the past, but he is absolutely essential to the mental health of this team. He is always encouraging and engaging...man he is a class act. I mean a really nice guy. All of them are...I will tell you this...If you want to go into a dark alley at 3 in the morning take Eugene Sims with you...Westbrooks is beeing groomed and will see alot more playing time this season. They really like him. He's been playing inside and outside in the rotation and Waufle seems to really like him.
Lookout for Matt Longacre. He got a long look last night. He really did some good things. Quinn and Long were constantly praising him as well as Waufle. I'm telling you this kid is a player. I'll be shocked if he doesn't make the team. He earned alot of respect last night. I will be equally shocked if Martin Ifedi makes the team.

Waufle was absolutely drilling this guy for missing his assignments. I mean he was going off so bad I thought kid was gonna start crying. Waufle seems to have no appetite for this kid. None at all. He kept missing reads, not shooting gaps when he supposed to, over pursing and opening up cutback lanes. You name it he did it wrong. After awhile I felt bad for the guy. Waufle was just relentlessly screaming at the guy. Welcome to the NFL kids. This is a man's world.

The linebackers. I am an open critic of JL55. That has not changed...He always seems frustrated on the sidelines. Maybe because someone is lined up wrong etc. but he just seems frustrated all the time. Maybe thats just how he is IDK...Ogletree is the exact opposite. Highly energetic and all over the place. He is constantly praising the defense. In the second quarter when they started to play better he ran over to the Dline and yelled at all of them we are f'ing best defense in football and now we are playing like it. The way he yelled it got me pumped up!

If we win some games I can see TJ McDonald in the probowl. He has an energy on the sideline. a punishing tackler too... he is very vocal with guys in the secondary. I would argue to say he might be the emotional leader of that group. Jenks is always quiet on the sidelines. He just goes about his business. Jenks is gonna be Jenks. I am concerned about Tru. I think we are going to miss Gaines. I hope not but I think so...his technique gets sloppy at times and he doesn't have the speed to make up for it when he does...his position coach was telling him to stay sound in his technique.
Sidebar: I openly heard one of the stars of the D'line having real concerns about the O-line. And I will leave it at that...

To stand next Hekker and him punt is insane! I thought one of his punts was going to hit the rafters at the dome.
The sound the ball makes when it comes off his foot sounds like a canon going off!
Its simply organized chaos on the bench.It really is amazing how detailed things are at the NFL level. No one would know it but guys are actually going to the bathroom on the sidelines. It really is amazing to say everything it takes to put on one NFL game.

Man watching Luck throw is a thing of beauty. And how come T.Y Hilton can do what he does and Tavon is stuck in the mud?

Me again: I'm not gonna over react with so many things that may be involved that we are'nt privy too. Who knows what the final plans for our OL are and if Coach Fisher is smarter than all of us and is doing things to throw Seattle off. Who Knows? I'm not that smart. Refuse to buy all the gloom and doom myself till we see what happens game one as we have peeps like Reynolds who actually looks capable at the OG position and Saffold says he is starting game one and we knew we would have some growing pains with Havenstein and I'm a little upset everyone wants to bash him so much when at first it seemed folks were willing to give him time to work on his pass pro. He had a major miss communication that led to a sack. better now than a real game. Actually Foles with little protection and about 3 seconds did better than most would have done. We need more WR seperation if that is even possible. Foles has always done best with first reads anyway. Just think they are keeping those seam routes back till the first game. Plus a few other choice throws I'm sure Nick would like go to right now. Maybe just maybe there is a MASTER PLAN.

…..

Legend
I see alot of passion here and across the web regarding our Line. I see alot of attention given by the local beat writers.

But lets all be reminded that we are who we said we would be. The concerns are natural, the concerns a REAL, but the concerns were known months ago. Nothing has changed.

These guys are professionals, they'll get it. Speaking of professionals....Note to the OP- Our coaching staff is well regarded. You cannot convince me with this post or any of your previous posts that our coaching is awful. I'll concede that Fisher ball is a little concerning, I am growing weary of repetative issues like many people are, but our position coaches are all well regarded by players, peers, and nuetural sources. Some would even say we are stacked on the coaching side of things. Once again, they're professionals and I'm sure they'll get the house in order.

To quote a current coach on ESPN radio (cant remember exactly who) "I thought our team wasnt ready, but I look at the current state of other teams in our division and all the sudden I'm not so worried"

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Seriously, the talent is there, you can't deny it on some of our first teams biggest players. The guys can and are game and their problem is definitely not a lack of talent.

They're young, we all knew there was going to be growing pains at least we all should have known. They're not going to suddenly have it completely down pat 3 games into the preseason. Our most veterean starter is a 6th year man, anybody who didn't expect hiccups has some reevaluating to do.

They're going to make mistakes and they're going to suck, but they're going to learn from them. This isn't like our crappy veterans who keep making the same mistakes and it's far too late for them to learn.

These are young, malleable guys who are eager to learn. It's going to suck, but I think they'll be rock solid for years to come.

TexasRam

Legend
I've watched the colts game now about 4 times with slow mo, focusing on the Oline.

Grob needs to swap with Saffold ASAP.

Rhaney is garbage.

Hav will need help with speed rushers.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
they need work whew!!!

Grob on the opening series was horrific.... I mean just bad. He looked like he was stuck in cement. The Colts defensive end was blowing past him. They had Kendricks come over and give him help on the second series he was so bad. Very nervous about Grob. I pray this is not Jason Smith all over again SMDH!!!

On the second series the Rams drove into the Colts redzone after overcoming a face mask call on Jones. Once there they had another face mask call this time on Rhaney and on the next play Havenstein allowed Foles to get sacked taking the Rams out of FG range altogether. How rare is it to have one face mask penalty let alone two on the same drive by the oline!

These are unfrogivable egregious errors and the same kinds of things we have seen in 4 years now of Jef Fisher

Guys IMO... the Rams are poorly coached. My eyes are set squarely on this headcoach

You've never been a Fisher fan, which is fine he has people that love him and hate him. But its still just the pre season. I'll wait until the bullets are flying before I say "hot seat".

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
besides penalties & injuries...I expected as much from the o-line....as Foles 11-12 showing proves, a QB can still be effective....RB's not so much...unless of course they're really special.

They need more time...more reps...

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Robinson is too much of a physical talent to be Smith. But, to me he should be at G still. Where he would pretty quickly dominate. But, they has cast him as a T. Ok....Need to see improved play as the season progresses from him. He came out super green and with bad technique....we knew this. He has enough physical talent to usually over come his playing out of balance.
Reynolds is a vet, a solid guy. Havenstein is concern with speed rushers.

Maybe by next season Battle will be able to take over at OLT. Then the Rams can play Jamon Brown and Gregg Robinson at the Guard spots. And say goodbye to Fragile Saffold and the run offense could be great.

Big Willie

Starter
My observations of the O-Line. They are young and making mistakes. This is the grown man league and it takes time for kids to develop. How much money they are paid and where they were drafted should not be a factor in how we evaluate their development. We knew GRob was a project when we got him, and our leadership opted for upside over immediacy. It took B Quick three years to start to figure it out, GRob deserves the same. Brown and Havenstein are going to struggle. They are rookies. Rhaney is similar to GRob in athletic ability and upside...but he too will struggle. I expect Saffold, Barnes and Jones to perform. They've had multiple years to learn and develop....and if they can't do it now, it's time to move on. While I am not concerned about Saffold (other than health), the other two have been less than stellar.
All that said, I believe this group to be better than last year's group.

2015 GRob better than 2014 version (and the fragile) J Long
2015 Saffold equal to 2014 version
2015 Brown better than D. Joseph
2014 Wells slightly better than Jones/Barnes/Rhaney
2014 Barksdale equal to Havenstein?