The Ol

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Yep, I'd be jumping for joy if we used 2 of our 4 picks in the first 3 rounds on OLs...well...if we used them wisely of course(in my opinion).

Hell, I'd probably run a naked mile if we found a way to come away with both Jake Matthews and Greg Robinson. Boy would that be something. But that's a pipe dream. :nau:
Wow, that would be happiness indeed.

iced

yea I'm not down with spending a top 5/top 5 pick on a linemen that doesn't play Left Tackle.. Good thing guard, especially LG, is the weakest part of the line and not tackle.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2014/fa/ol.html

^ out of those free agents - Alex Mack, Wade Smith, Veldheer.

I view the OL and WR position differently than the rest of you I guess - see WR Vastly Weaker (talent wise, comparing the WR to the OL ain't even close). outside of LG, I count 1 pro bowler (Long), One future pro bowler (Saffold), Not great but solid RT play in Barksdale, with questions at LG and Center. the LG rotation was hit and miss, center is an injury question mark with jones supposed to be able to take over in the future. For those questioning Jones, I remember reading why they were so high on him - he never got an assignment wrong in his last year in college... Not once. Jones had a rep as a highly,highly intelligent center who was blocking assignment sound.

The WR position - can't name one pro bowler, and outside Tavon austin, hasn't played at pro bowl or future pro bowl level. There is no one that is consistent here - whether it be catching,route running,separation.... and there's a lot less to work with. Only one player who played "above average" this season - again, that's tavon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
The Rams made a big investment of resources in the D Line and that has seemed to work out okay. Now it's time to do the same for the Oline. It should have been done sooner, but that's how it goes.
Most of it will have to come from the draft since the Rams lack cap room to go after more than 1 Vet coming off his first contract.
I'm over bringing Saffold back, to many man games missed the last 3 years. Smith, Barnes & Williams can just go somewhere else. Re watch the Seahags game if you have doubts.
I would keep Wells or Dahl for a much lower price tag. Either or.

Sneed talks of looking it as units. This year it has to be the Oline unit that gets all the love. Wouldn't bother me if the Rams used their first 3 picks on the Oline.

Rams aren't going to be consistent winners till they upgrade it.

fearsomefour

Legend
I'll have to leave that up to the coaches. I liked what I saw of Barrett in college but none of us know what he can do in the NFL. So if they feel Center needs to be filled, I'll trust them on that.

This is why I think Wells wont be released. Jones has not gotten on the field and Barnes, while solid, is only solid at this point. He did improve his play as the season went on, but, the idea of a rookie C making line calls or worse yet NOT being trusted to make line calls makes me nervous. Wells may not be at his ProBowl level anymore but finding an excellent C is difficult. I think he stays. Dahl is probably gone. With his money ($4m) and the money from Saffolds' and Williams' deals expiring frees up $6.3M of cap space, even if just that is reinvested in the line is it better spent bring back Saffold at RG….or some low price FA types? Their approach seems to have been (with the exception of LT and C….the two most important and hard to fill spots on the line) quantity over quality. Bring back Smith and Barnes along with a low price FA option is the route they will go with the interior line I am guessing.

fearsomefour

Legend
Just go on to zn's new board if you want hear the other side. There are guys that actually prefer not drafting OL high this year. They want WRs and DTs in the first round. That's what scares me. I'm afraid that Fisher agrees with them.
I certainly dont want WR in the first round. I would prioritize those first 4 picks (whether they trade down or not) as OT, DB (cb or s), DT, OL. I could easily convince myself to go DT before DB. SO much of what a pick is used for depends where the Rams pick (if they trade down). If they move down to, say #8, and 4 OT are taken by then would I use the 8th pick on the 5th rated OT, hell no.

iced

This is why I think Wells wont be released. Jones has not gotten on the field and Barnes, while solid, is only solid at this point. He did improve his play as the season went on, but, the idea of a rookie C making line calls or worse yet NOT being trusted to make line calls makes me nervous. Wells may not be at his ProBowl level anymore but finding an excellent C is difficult. I think he stays. Dahl is probably gone. With his money ($4m) and the money from Saffolds' and Williams' deals expiring frees up $6.3M of cap space, even if just that is reinvested in the line is it better spent bring back Saffold at RG….or some low price FA types? Their approach seems to have been (with the exception of LT and C….the two most important and hard to fill spots on the line) quantity over quality. Bring back Smith and Barnes along with a low price FA option is the route they will go with the interior line I am guessing.

I remember reading differently for the last 2 weeks of the season - although in what capacity, I have no idea. I just remember hearing he got snaps