The official vent thread; Rams at Cardinals

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jjab360

Legend
How do you have Tayvon Austin, target him twice without any originality, and run him once late in the game?

The play calling was Schotty. Nothing but a stinking pile of Schott.
The Cards have questionable sideline to sideline speed. I don't understand how you're not attacking them with Tavon misdirection plays all game long. We saw what happened the one time they did, a little innovation could have made this an entirely different game.

RamzFanz

Damnit
A few thoughts I'd like to point out. I am reading a lot of criticism regarding Schotty. Keep in mind he is playing with a back up quarterback. I remember a lot of criticism with Denver's play calling with Tebow. The offensive cord came out and said he was limited due to having Tebow. Same case here, he could probably open up the offense more with Sam in.. A few glaring problems are:

1) Not enough QB pressure from our 4. Long and Quinn didn't make enough plays
2) We need help on the O-Line. Doesn't matter how good the QB is if he has no time and players aren't picking up their assignments.
3) Young.. We are just a young team that needs some leadership. We are one of the youngest teams, I look for next year to be different with 1 year of added experience.
4) Cook doesn't deserve his contract. We need less $ guaranteed and more $ based on performance..

Na, Schotty was even worse when SB was in. He just has zero imagination. Doesn't take a genius to call more running plays for TA. Doesn't take a genius to not run DR up the middle every other play.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I'm sure they were holding extra men into block after seeing 2 WR sets tear through our zone like butter.

Should've never let go of Mikell, or Fletcher.

Meh...not so sure those two would have been the difference honestly. Fletcher was pretty decent, but he made a lot of mistakes as well.

Mikell was a good run safety, wouldn't have helped the passing defense. I think McDonald does everything Mikell did.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Our issue running today happened for 3 reasons imo:

1. OL was being outplayed. Although I didn't think the best 5 were our there. I wanted Long/Saffold/Barnes/Dahl/Barksdale (Williams weakened the line).
2. Cards didn't fear KC's arm or our WRing threats. As a result we saw plenty 8 man boxes. I blame Schotty for continuing to run into loaded boxes.
3. Know your opponent! AZ is stout in the middle w/Williams, Dockett, Campbell, Washington, Dansby. The best way to attack them in the run imo is on the edges. I wanted to see them try Benny more on outside runs today with his power and speed. Stacy did admirable all things considered

So, don't just run up the middle over and over? Interesting concept.

RamzFanz

Damnit
The Cards have questionable sideline to sideline speed. I don't understand how you're not attacking them with Tavon misdirection plays all game long. We saw what happened the one time they did, a little innovation could have made this an entirely different game.

I keep thinking they MUST see that and be ready this game to do better. Nope.

It's reached the point of being so obviousness it should cost him his job.

TexasRam

Legend
WALTON IS GARBAGE!!!

It's a vent thread. So yes, I will use all caps. Thanks.

Our Two Corners are getting abused because of scheme. They need to be taught to Man up.

I'm not a fan of Mcdonald. Watch the game close and he is beat nearly every play. He is always a step behind.

jjab360

Legend
WALTON IS GARBAGE!!!

It's a vent thread. So yes, I will use all caps. Thanks.

Our Two Corners are getting abused because of scheme. They need to be taught to Man up.

I'm not a fan of Mcdonald. Watch the game close and he is beat nearly every play. He is always a step behind.
I don't really see that at all, but this is a vent thread so I won't argue about it here.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
The problem was with them blowing the whistle in the first place. I really hate when they do that. If they had let the play out and reviewed it afterword, we would of had no penalty and possibly a td. Why do they always whistle a play dead when so much occurs, so dumb.

Thats penalty was also very stupid, he was trying to run down JJ and so it should be legal, for most teams no flag would of been thrown.

On TD plays and turnovers, since they are required to be reviewed, the refs should let the plays continue and then correct it. Once you blow the whistle, you can't correct an official if it's a mistake.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Continuity fan here. I think many of us are letting impatience get the best of us. We should remember a few things:

Youth. Youth is inconsistent. Youth is unpredictable. Say what you want about the Defense's problems, but there are 1 & 2 year players on the Dline, LBers, and secondary. The only truly veteran unit on the team is the Oline.

The Rams last 2 games have been on the road against strong defensive teams. Despite the 2 blowouts in our favor, the Rams are a one-dimensional offense. Stop the run and what's left?

Blaming Schotty for what happens in the passing game doesn't seem exactly accurate. Clemens is a limited backup, not known for his accuracy. He's been serviceable, but does anyone believe Bradford wouldn't allow him to make so much more of the talent?

Kroenke chose Fisher for the long view. How long has Marvin Lewis been the HC in Cincinnati? As cheap as that organization has been, at least they have continuity. What have we had? 8 seasons with 3 HCs, and we want to start over again? smh. A couple posters have remarked that if next year is like this one ... you mean, losing our starting QB? Having the youngest team in the NFL? Starting the season with an offensive philosophy that didn't work and still being in the playoff mix despite that? That is, until we lost Bradford.

I don't know what to make of the Walton situation, but I expect Fisher to deal with it. Some of us wonder about his loyalty, but remember how things went with Williams, and they were tight. Fisher is a fan winning, above all else.

Lastly, they've been using Tavon sparingly. Does anyone see this as a pattern? IMO, it's quite possible they don't want to use him too much, especially since their chances at the playoffs went out with Bradford. In light of the injury he suffered today, does anyone blame them?

A55VA6

Legend
I like Jeff Fisher, I just don't really believe in our coordinators.

And about McDonald, he's better in the box. Not great in coverage. The injury really set him back. We won't see much improvement until next year I'm afraid.

Have we really gotten any better under Fisher? I understand he inherited a 2-14 team but if this team was as injured as Spag's last year we don't win many more than 2. We can't stop the pass or the run, our O line is mediocre and we have no #1 receiver. If anything we've gotten different and younger but we're still a way below average team.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I'm bummer out with Givens. If he has anyone around him then he's a much different WR. He's turning into our own version of Mike Wallace, a one trick pony. I prefer Bailey over him in short and intermediate routes.

Alan

Legend
A55VA6 seeing the glass half full:
And about McDonald, he's better in the box. Not great in coverage. The injury really set him back. We won't see much improvement until next year I'm afraid.
His lack of coverage skills is why he was rated so low (lower than where we drafted him) coming out of college. I've always hated this pick and his performance has solidified my opinion. Not a sure tackler either. Goes for the big hit and whiffs all too often.

But, it's only his first year so I agree with you that he'll probably he'll get much better next year.

fearsomefour

Legend
Everything about where this team is right now screams C-. Except the pass D which is a fail. What was a dinged up Palmer? 26 of 32? Fitzgerald, an aging star who no longer has breakaway speed collected 12 catches, one short of his career high. In the first game this year he got 10 catches. Two differences in this game. Their passrush was effective ours was not. Secondly, there is really neat thing called tackling that their secondary seemed to know about that ours does not. McLeod is just a brutal tackler. Im not saying he cant get better but now it seems he flies in and throws a shoulder at a RB. I like his energy but he cant cover well and doesnt tackle at this point. The season is over. Take three games and evaluate some young guys. See (if he is physically healthy enough) what Jones can do inside. We have seen where McLeod is right now, lets see if Davis is a playmaker or a ST guy. If the Rams have the intention of keeping Saffold then play him where you project him.
Something has to massively change with the pass D this offseason, obviously. Maybe JJ wasnt ready to be a 1 and Finns' regression threw everyone off. Maybe scheme, maybe a mix of things. The perfect moment for JJ season was him waiving his arms incomplete when the WR made a nice play on the ball for a long catch. That seems to represent this Rams D a lot this year….a lot of attitude, a lot of assumptions and not many stops.
11 penalties when I stopped paying attention to it. Hard to argue with anything Bernie said in his article about discipline and accountability.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
I'm bummer out with Givens. If he has anyone around him then he's a much different WR. He's turning into our own version of Mike Wallace, a one trick pony. I prefer Bailey over him in short and intermediate routes.
To me that's the biggest adjustment that they didn't make a while ago to offset the loss of Bradford. Heck even with Bradford I felt like they were trying to stretch before they even took the intermediate stuff.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
On TD plays and turnovers, since they are required to be reviewed, the refs should let the plays continue and then correct it. Once you blow the whistle, you can't correct an official if it's a mistake.
The refs wouldn't let the Rams get a td on a fumble! That would make the game tight!

BigHornRAMM

Rookie
Name
BigHorn
Ya know, ever since the rams seahawgs game where the D-line looked amazing, it's been subpar and crap!! We can help our DBs a lot by applying pressure. That's a key for defense... And offense let's see how we do next year with Sam..

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Me: I don't like our coordinators.

Walton has a highly invested defense rated near the bottom of the league. No excuse. None.

Schotty lost Sam and dealt a tough hand. But dude doesn't know how to play chess at his level. If he is out-game planned early, he's toast.

:mad:

Walton needs to go. Defense looks poorly coached and our scheming sucks.

Schotty is ok in my book. He's doing his best to make lemonade out of lemons. With Sam, imo, our offense could have been in the 10-15 range.