The Official ROD Football (Soccer) Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
Also I'd take the rumor with a grain of salt. It seems like we are in the market to buy a different big name player every other day.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
@Rams Until I Die I know it's a rumor but Pep is not playing Basti in his natural position and uses Xabi Alonso more in important games. I think it's possible he leaves to Man U with Van Gaal the coach who mentored him to become a great player.

Also a former Bayern player adviced Basti not to transfer to the premiere league because he's too old to learn a new style of football. I hope he listens to him!

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
@Rams Until I Die I know it's a rumor but Pep is not playing Basti in his natural position and uses Xabi Alonso more in important games. I think it's possible he leaves to Man U with Van Gaal the coach who mentored him to become a great player.

Also a former Bayern player adviced Basti not to transfer to the premiere league because he's too old to learn a new style of football. I hope he listens to him!

I mean I wouldn't complain to much hahaha.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
So @HX76 and @flv , any thoughts on the Downing to Boro chatter? From the rumours on our end it would seem that it's all but a done deal. Same on your end or different thoughts from your local media?

Personally I would love it if he came back, was my favourite player when he played for us, and I have to think he'd probably be one of the best players in the championship if he came back!

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So @HX76 and @flv , any thoughts on the Downing to Boro chatter? From the rumours on our end it would seem that it's all but a done deal. Same on your end or different thoughts from your local media?

Personally I would love it if he came back, was my favourite player when he played for us, and I have to think he'd probably be one of the best players in the championship if he came back!

If we can get £7m for Downing (more than what we paid for him), a 31 year old, I think it would be a great deal for us provided we have a replacement lined up. We need as many players as we can this season what with the Europa league, which has already started for us.

I thought he was really good, as the team were, in the first half of the season when he played more centrally and could get involved in the games. That coincided with his England recall. Then Allardyce brought back Nolan with Carroll and he was shoved out wide. I see him a bit of a flat track bully really, played well when we were on top but bottled it a bit and hid when we were not.

Still I think he'd be an excellent signing for you in the Championship and could be the difference in getting up or not. I guess then he'd seem like a bargain what with the riches the Premier League has on offer and from I gather he wants to go back to the North East. I'd expect this to happen.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
If we were to sign him I would imagine he would be played in the middle. At Championship level his passing would stand out IMO.
I feel like he would be an excellent signing for us, but I can't see £7M either. The amount being thrown around in these parts is around £4.5-5 million, which seems more realistic. I'm always cautious when it comes to big signings but the fact that he's done well here before and the fact that he's likely be a leading player at this level lead me to think this would work out well for us.

If we can get £7m for Downing (more than what we paid for him), a 31 year old, I think it would be a great deal for us provided we have a replacement lined up. We need as many players as we can this season what with the Europa league, which has already started for us.

I thought he was really good, as the team were, in the first half of the season when he played more centrally and could get involved in the games. That coincided with his England recall. Then Allardyce brought back Nolan with Carroll and he was shoved out wide. I see him a bit of a flat track bully really, played well when we were on top but bottled it a bit and hid when we were not.

Still I think he'd be an excellent signing for you in the Championship and could be the difference in getting up or not. I guess then he'd seem like a bargain what with the riches the Premier League has on offer and from I gather he wants to go back to the North East. I'd expect this to happen.
Do you see that new lad Payet as a replacement? Or would you expect another CM to come in as well before you let him go?
Wr to the boldest part, that's something that seems to have always been an issue with him, was always like that when he played for us before, as I say above though, would hope that moving down a level would mean he'd be on top more often than not and so hopefully would have a positive effect on the team.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Obviously you're joking, but I'd take that deal in a heartbeat lol, Noble would also probs be a very good player at Championship level

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Do you see that new lad Payet as a replacement? Or would you expect another CM to come in as well before you let him go?"

I don't see him as a replacement no, I'd think they'd get another winger if Downing was to leave. We already have Noble, Payet, Kouyate, Obiang, Nolan (unfortunately), Poyet, Amalfitano (who can play wide or centrally) and a young lad called Josh Cullen who played in the Europa League the other night as well who can play centrally. Also loads of talk about Song coming back but he is crocked so not sure what's happening there. We are also linked to an Argentinian who plays wide or through the middle called Manuel Lanzini. He'd be coming in on loan from a team in the Middle East and holds an Italian passport. I think he would be the replacement.

Anyway enough of that, we play Posh in a friendly today and if Downing isn't involved, as reports suggest, it looks very much like you might get your wish and that he is on his way to Boro.

Oh and flv, if you think Noble's legs have gone you must think Nolan is a raspberry as he is basically stationary when he turns out!

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No Downing at Peterborough. Maybe Bilic will shed a light on that after the game.

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
Schweinsteiger officially is signing with United. Guess it's time to insert foot in mouth, never thought it would happen. Doubt he makes the trip but I've got tickets to see United here in Seattle next Friday.

Killgasm

Starter
Name
Alex
Schweinsteiger officially is signing with United. Guess it's time to insert foot in mouth, never thought it would happen. Doubt he makes the trip but I've got tickets to see United here in Seattle next Friday.
I'm so freaking heartbroken right now man :'( Nevertheless, I wish him luck in his new club.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Liverpool is a mess
They did a fine bit of business but you can't lose your best players year after year and replace them with the likes of Lovern, Aspas, and (insert Eastern European Winger here)

image.jpg

Last edited: