The Official ROD Football (Soccer) Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
It could be seen as unfair to Liverpool who are punished for an event that happened 7000 miles away that they had no control over.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Germany look really, really good. Strong candidates to win the tourney IMO.

Come on USA!

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
It could be seen as unfair to Liverpool who are punished for an event that happened 7000 miles away that they had no control over.

They should have added it to his contract. "You bite someone, no money."

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Overall strong game from the US defense. Only goal was a perfect strike from Mueller.
Michael Bradley needs to figure out his problem. His first touch is atrocious.
Pray for Altidore to make an appearance VS. Belgium.
I think Omar played really well with the pressure of starting against Germany after his problems lately.

Look forward to Belgium. The game would probably hinge on midfield play.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
Congrats on the US making it through to the next round great effort.

Suarez -- they should drop him on a prehistoric island and leave him there ...

10458029_810994108912397_178260111057344155_n.jpg

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
USA looked real slow that 1st half but came in stronger in the 2nd. That goal was perfect nothing could have been done. Bradley is really not looking good at all! My Seattle Sounders player Yedlin needs to start next game. When he came he took over that side of the field and we had our best chances to score.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
USA looked real slow that 1st half but came in stronger in the 2nd. That goal was perfect nothing could have been done. Bradley is really not looking good at all! My Seattle Sounders player Yedlin needs to start next game. When he came he took over that side of the field and we had our best chances to score.

Bradley is the best player on the team. Please watch him off the ball, his pressue is the only reason we haven't been picked apart by the really good passing Mids. He's also ran further than anyone on any team in the world cup. He's working his ass off. Losing Altidore probably hurt Bradley the most because he can't lay those beautiful balls over the back line and let Josy hold the ball up for Clint to make a run into the box.

I really like Yedlin, but don't think he's ready for a start. Also, his speed plays well for him getting subbed in between the 60-70th minutes. Fresh fast legs have a huge impact when players have been going for that long.

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
Bradley is the best player on the team. Please watch him off the ball, his pressue is the only reason we haven't been picked apart by the really good passing Mids. He's also ran further than anyone on any team in the world cup. He's working his ass off. Losing Altidore probably hurt Bradley the most because he can't lay those beautiful balls over the back line and let Josy hold the ball up for Clint to make a run into the box.

I really like Yedlin, but don't think he's ready for a start. Also, his speed plays well for him getting subbed in between the 60-70th minutes. Fresh fast legs have a huge impact when players have been going for that long.

I could have worded that better. I'm not saying bench Bradley, he is one of our top guys and his defensive play has been great. I get he is adapting to a new position he just looks slower or nervous. He has had a unlucky streak or something his passes have been off, and he has been giving the ball up a little to much. As for Yedlin your probably right but I will admit to being a homer I see this guy play 90 minutes all the time and yeah he is raw but he just creates on both sides if the ball. No matter what happens I'm proud of the team, we got out of the group of death when no one said we could. Most will say its crazy to think we can when this thing but I'm at least hoping we can shock the world at least a couple more times.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I could have worded that better. I'm not saying bench Bradley, he is one of our top guys and his defensive play has been great. I get he is adapting to a new position he just looks slower or nervous. He has had a unlucky streak or something his passes have been off, and he has been giving the ball up a little to much. As for Yedlin your probably right but I will admit to being a homer I see this guy play 90 minutes all the time and yeah he is raw but he just creates on both sides if the ball. No matter what happens I'm proud of the team, we got out of the group of death when no one said we could. Most will say its crazy to think we can when this thing but I'm at least hoping we can shock the world at least a couple more times.

Just remember Klinsmann wasn't brought in to win the world cup. He has a higher purpose. This is the third time they pursued him, and actually tried to hire him before Bob Bradley. I guess he didn't get all the control he wanted, so he turned it down.

He's going to change the way we develop talent in the youth levels, and that's awesome. If he can set it up the way Germany currently has it, we'll have a constant supply of players that can perform well in the better leagues.

Kind of a double edged sword at the minute, though. Because the MLS isn't that great YET....these players may elect to play overseas for a club. While that's good for our national team, it sucks in trying to grow the brand in our home country.

Edit: I realize this doesn't really have anything to do with your post, just had to get that off my chest...I read a really long thread about why Klinsmann wasn't a good coach on a different site, and it's been irking me.

Rams Until I Die

Pro Bowler
Name
John
Just remember Klinsmann wasn't brought in to win the world cup. He has a higher purpose. This is the third time they pursued him, and actually tried to hire him before Bob Bradley. I guess he didn't get all the control he wanted, so he turned it down.

He's going to change the way we develop talent in the youth levels, and that's awesome. If he can set it up the way Germany currently has it, we'll have a constant supply of players that can perform well in the better leagues.

Kind of a double edged sword at the minute, though. Because the MLS isn't that great YET....these players may elect to play overseas for a club. While that's good for our national team, it sucks in trying to grow the brand in our home country.

Edit: I realize this doesn't really have anything to do with your post, just had to get that off my chest...I read a really long thread about why Klinsmann wasn't a good coach on a different site, and it's been irking me.

It's all good man, You can tell Klinsmann has some big balls making the moves with the team that he has and that's awesome. He has more people in the country actually excited about the team than ever, the other day I went to the local British themed pub and at 9am local time the place was packed on a Thursday. Would have liked to Eddie Johnson come along so he could be in Altidore's spot.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Great game! Come on Chile!

Kinsmann was a wonderful footballer. His Tottenham shirt was the first I ever owned. USA are doing things the right way with him. And I'm expecting that when success does come, more top athletes in the states will choose soccer over the other big sports. The trajectory of US soccer is only going up, from an outsiders point of view anyway.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Is Fred the worst player to ever play for Brazil? He's unbelievably shite

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
Great game! Come on Chile!

Kinsmann was a wonderful footballer. His Tottenham shirt was the first I ever owned. USA are doing things the right way with him. And I'm expecting that when success does come, more top athletes in the states will choose soccer over the other big sports. The trajectory of US soccer is only going up, from an outsiders point of view anyway.

I'm torn on the development though, and it kind of blew my mind on what Klinsmann said. Our current guys go to college then join the MLS, for the most part. Now he's talking about grooming these guys with club teams under the guise of the professional teams. While it makes total sense, it goes against everything I've ever been taught (go to college and get a degree).

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I'm torn on the development though, and it kind of blew my mind on what Klinsmann said. Our current guys go to college then join the MLS, for the most part. Now he's talking about grooming these guys with club teams under the guise of the professional teams. While it makes total sense, it goes against everything I've ever been taught (go to college and get a degree).

The college system is a great system for developing talent and it works with yank football, baseball and basketball because the US is the only country where these guys will end up. Football (soccer) is a global sport so that model just doesn't work. It's the same reason that fantastic ideas like the draft and salary caps are impossible in football- you'd never get every football association to agree to those things and that's effectively what would need to happen.