The Official Pink Floyd thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
DOGS
You got to be crazy, you gotta have a real need
You gotta sleep on your toes and when you're on the street
You got to be able to pick out the easy meat with your eyes closed
And then moving in silently, down wind and out of sight
You gotta strike when the moment is right without thinking

And after a while, you can work on points for style
Like the club tie,and the firm handshake

A certain look in the eye and an easy smile
You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to

So that when they turn their backs on you
You'll get the chance to put the knife in

You gotta keep one eye looking over your shoulder
You know, it's going to get harder, and harder, and harder
As you get older
Yeah, and in the end you'll pack up and fly down south
Hide your head in the sand

Just another sad old man
All alone and dying of cancer

And when you lose control, you'll reap the harvest you have sown
And as the fear grows, the bad blood slows and turns to stone
And it's too late to lose the weight you used to need to throw around

So have a good drown, as you go down all alone
Dragged down by the stone

Gotta admit that I'm a little bit confused
Sometimes it seems to me as if I'm just being used

Gotta stay awake, gotta try and shake off this creeping malaise
If I don't stand my own ground, how can I find my way out of this maze

Deaf, dumb and blind, you just keep on pretending
That everyone's expendable, and no one has a real friend

And it seems to you the thing to do would be to isolate the winner
Everything's done under the sun
But you believe at heart everyone's a killer

Who was born in a house full of pain
Who was trained not to spit in the fan

Who was told what to do by the man
Who was broken by trained personnel
Who was fitted with collar and chain
Who was given a pat on the back
Who was breaking away from the pack

Who was only a stranger at home
Who was ground down in the end
Who was found dead on the phone
Who was dragged down by the stone
Who was
dragged down by the stone

~Waters/Gilmour

Last edited:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
That was 42? years ago! Saw ELP that year and Jethro Tull. Great times!​

Saw Jethro Tull at the Santa Clara Fairgrounds, CA, this must have been around 1969. The opening act was a band called Clouds. What struck me about that night is that I realized how tight and precise English bands were compared to the sloppy, stoned American bands.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Saw Jethro Tull at the Santa Clara Fairgrounds, CA, this must have been around 1969. The opening act was a band called Clouds. What struck me about that night is that I realized how tight and precise English bands were compared to the sloppy, stoned American bands.

I believe the members of those bands are studio musicians and have the training and talent lacking in most AM. bands! Love the jazz/rock fusion of Tull and ELP and Floyd! Don't know who does that today? My Dad was a musician and made his living at it from the time he was 17. Appreciation of quality was ingrained in me.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I believe the members of those bands are studio musicians and have the training and talent lacking in most AM. bands! Love the jazz/rock fusion of Tull and ELP and Floyd! Don't know who does that today? My Dad was a musician and made his living at it from the time he was 17. Appreciation of quality was ingrained in me.

Sloppy sometimes work when there is a lot of passion. Janis Joplin's band Big Brother is a classic example of that. They were really lousy musicians, imo, but kicked butt on stage from an excitement point of view. Tull was the first English band I ever saw live and they impressed the heck out of me with their musicianship. But then, being a musician myself, I tended to be a bit more critical of other musicians and still am.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Sloppy sometimes work when there is a lot of passion. Janis Joplin's band Big Brother is a classic example of that. They were really lousy musicians, imo, but kicked butt on stage from an excitement point of view. Tull was the first English band I ever saw live and they impressed the heck out of me with their musicianship. But then, being a musician myself, I tended to be a bit more critical of other musicians and still am.

I have to get in on this, cause my band is sloppy as hell (garage punk 80's homage) but we on 3 tracks we have heavy Tarkus influence. can't wait to share in late summer. so there are kids doing it right now - but the kids are in their late 30's early 40's hahah

Last edited:

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
I enjoyed Janis because of the passion! Big Brother backed her well but never was a favorite of mine.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I enjoyed Janis because of the passion! Big Brother backed her well but never was a favorite of mine.

Imo she lost some of her edge when she left Big Brother behind, except for Sam Andrews, and recorded Kozmic Blues with mostly studio musicians and veterans. Again, there's something to be said for sloppy, passionate playing.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Boy do i have some memories of me and my buddies getting into the "mood" to sit down and watch this :D
Some great stuff in this film. "Echoes" is my highlight. "One of these Days" came off sounding pretty crappy IMO. Dave's guitar was drowned in the mix.
The round table munchy sessions are great.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'd love to see our Rams emerge from the tunnel on game day with the intro to this tune blasting.

One of these Days

One of these days i'm going to cut you into little pieces
~ Waters, Gilmour, Wright, Mason

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Love love love my Univibe.
Funny thing about the digital delay "Wall" stuff. I only used analog delays so when i emulated Gilmour's stuff i learned to fake it by actually playing the 2nd delayed note and trying to manually lower the 2nd notes volume(slightly) and creating it that way(if that makes sense) . Lol. It doesn't sound too bad. It's funny the things we teach ourselves when we don't have the correct resources/equipment at hand. :D