The O-line....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Hill's probably watching this and thinking it's nice to be the backup qb!

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
It was adequate against Dallas because their defense is horrible. Wait till we start playing the NFC West teams. Holy cr@p it's going to be bad

Yeah I still disagree. Overall through the 1st three games they weren't any better or any worse compared to other teams. Today is bad, no doubt. They are a better run blocking line than pass pro, yet they insisted on passing on every damn down early. Despite knowing you need to keep Philly off the field.

Angry Ram

Why does everyone blame the coaching when the players fail to execute?

Umm, I've been the biggest coaching defender there is. I don't (and still don't) like the gameplan about passing and not focusing on the run early. There's nothing wrong with me saying that. But they are playing competitive and haven't given up. So that reflects on coaching as well.

dbrooks25

Pro Bowler
Coaching doesn't prevent the two fumbles which led to touchdowns. We cut that shit out and we win by a td and two point conversion. And with a win none of these coaching questions would be posed.

drpugilist

youre giving one ex dbrooks. im not talking abt todays game only either, im talking abt the past few yrs when ive complained that we dont even attempt to get the ball to our receivers or that we dont utilize certain players corrdctly. its ridiculous the talent we have and the size of our receivers this yr specifically and we havent been giving then an opportunity to make a play! until the past two games of course.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Seriously, what are we really saving by having Robinson sit right now? It's not like this O line is great without him. Put him in at LG, put Saffold back to RG where he was a menace and see what happens
It's hard to figure.

fearsomefour

Legend
They seem worse than last year. How is that possible? Davis can't do a damn thing out there with their performance.
Didnt play great certainly.
In the first half there were several pressures that came off the edge with an unblocked Blitzer coming. Not a case of a blocker missing a block on those.
Wells seemed to have issues when someone lines up right over him....doesn't bode well for Arizona or SF.

Ramathon

Umm, I've been the biggest coaching defender there is. I don't (and still don't) like the gameplan about passing and not focusing on the run early. There's nothing wrong with me saying that. But they are playing competitive and haven't given up. So that reflects on coaching as well.

My only point was that coaching can only take a player so far. At some point, each player is what they are. It's why so many vets reach a point of hating training camp. Because more 'coaching' isn't going to make them a better player. They've reached a point where the only point of TC is getting in shape for the season. But too many fans are starting to blame 'the coaching' for everything that ails the Rams right now. And all I'm saying is that, if we're looking to play the blame game, we need to put more of it on the players.

Now if you're talking 'game planning', to me that's a different subject. It's WAY too complex to go into detail, but to put in as few words as possible, game planning boils down to coming up with a concept of how the coordinator wishes to run the O (or D), and then figuring out how to make a bunch of variable shapes (players) all fit snugly into perfectly drawn X's & O's. Tough job. And if there were a 'Pro Bowl' equivalent designation for OC's and DC's, there would probably be as small a % of them who would qualify as there are for players whom go to the PB.

I doubt Schotty would make the OC Pro Bowl. But he's solid.....I think. Willliams I can't figure out. He would equate to a player who maybe isn't a perennial PB'er, but has more than one on his resume. So far, he seems to equate to the RB that's just past his 30th birthday...like he's just lost about a step and a half.

But in the end, it comes down to players making plays. And right now the Rams have too few players making too few good plays, and too many either missing assignments entirely, or making just plain dumb plays. And I'm not sure the excessive missed assignments doesn't contain a healthy dose of 'dumb'.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The funny thing, Ramathon, is that good coaching tend to get that execution out of the players.

I recall reading about Bill Walsh and how he made his offense run the same play over and over and over in practice until they executed it perfectly. Didn't matter how long it took. That was the expectation and the team took it on.

I'm actually pretty happy with the job Schotty has done thus far this season though, and I'm not a big fan of his. Points are being scored, so I'm good and I agree he's looking solid right now. But man he has some serious receiving talent so it's a good thing they're scoring points.

Angry Ram

My only point was that coaching can only take a player so far. At some point, each player is what they are. It's why so many vets reach a point of hating training camp. Because more 'coaching' isn't going to make them a better player. They've reached a point where the only point of TC is getting in shape for the season. But too many fans are starting to blame 'the coaching' for everything that ails the Rams right now. And all I'm saying is that, if we're looking to play the blame game, we need to put more of it on the players.

Now if you're talking 'game planning', to me that's a different subject. It's WAY too complex to go into detail, but to put in as few words as possible, game planning boils down to coming up with a concept of how the coordinator wishes to run the O (or D), and then figuring out how to make a bunch of variable shapes (players) all fit snugly into perfectly drawn X's & O's. Tough job. And if there were a 'Pro Bowl' equivalent designation for OC's and DC's, there would probably be as small a % of them who would qualify as there are for players whom go to the PB.

I doubt Schotty would make the OC Pro Bowl. But he's solid.....I think. Willliams I can't figure out. He would equate to a player who maybe isn't a perennial PB'er, but has more than one on his resume. So far, he seems to equate to the RB that's just past his 30th birthday...like he's just lost about a step and a half.

But in the end, it comes down to players making plays. And right now the Rams have too few players making too few good plays, and too many either missing assignments entirely, or making just plain dumb plays. And I'm not sure the excessive missed assignments doesn't contain a healthy dose of 'dumb'.

I don't why you are spending time on this. I like these coaches, I just didn't like hte pass happy plan they had. My opinion, no biggy.

I think the biggest issue is penalties at the worst possible time, and yeah besides judgement calls, the players have to know better.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
They seem worse than last year. How is that possible? Davis can't do a damn thing out there with their performance.

I have been solid in the frame of mind not to make any changes in Boudreau's selected five starters. I remain there at this very moment still but I see that a change to the interior 3 will be necessary real soon. This OL is going to have some real rough games in the next seven weeks. I think its going to get much worse.

What I have seen since pre season & through 5 weeks of this regular season...ORG Davin Joseph is done as a decent starter in the NFL....period. There is no real reason to keep him in the lineup and expect him to improve....its not going to come. Rams were really blowing open good size holes with a healthy Saffold & Barksdale running on the right side late last yr & I would suggest we get Joseph back to the bench. Saffold needs to be inserted back in ASAP. We need to fix this right strong side OL. Doing so causes Boudreau issues @ OLG. This would require a new starter @ OLG. He has several good young candidates like Greg Robinson or Mike Person. If the Rams loose the next 2 or 3 games might as well get Robinson's big feet fully wet! Why not he needs the experience now.

Another issue is starting center Scott Wells. Simply put he is over powered play after play after play. Wells, at his best can manage a stand once in a while still but never any push. Having both Joseph & Wells starting next to each other creates a large hole which other teams attack on a regular basis. As long as these two remain in the starting lineup the Rams offense will operate much of the time in failure mode. Its just way too easy not to take advantage of these two. Currently Boudreau has two reserve young centers in Tim Barnes & Mike Person. In a another week he will have three in Barrett Jones ready for full time starting action. I see no real reason that the Rams should not make every attempt to find their 2015 starting center this season while under extreme heat & fire.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I have been solid in the frame of mind not to make any changes in Boudreau's selected five starters. I remain there at this very moment still but I see that a change to the interior 3 will be necessary real soon. This OL is going to have some real rough games in the next seven weeks. I think its going to get much worse.

What I have seen since pre season & through 5 weeks of this regular season...ORG Davin Joseph is done as a decent starter in the NFL....period. There is no real reason to keep him in the lineup and expect him to improve....its not going to come. Rams were really blowing open good size holes with a healthy Saffold & Barksdale running on the right side late last yr & I would suggest we get Joseph back to the bench. Saffold needs to be inserted back in ASAP. We need to fix this right strong side OL. Doing so causes Boudreau issues @ OLG. This would require a new starter @ OLG. He has several good young candidates like Greg Robinson or Mike Person. If the Rams loose the next 2 or 3 games might as well get Robinson's big feet fully wet! Why not he needs the experience now.

Another issue is starting center Scott Wells. Simply put he is over powered play after play after play. Wells, at his best can manage a stand once in a while still but never any push. Having both Joseph & Wells starting next to each other creates a large hole which other teams attack on a regular basis. As long as these two remain in the starting lineup the Rams offense will operate much of the time in failure mode. Its just way too easy not to take advantage of these two. Currently Boudreau has two reserve young centers in Tim Barnes & Mike Person. In a another week he will have three in Barrett Jones ready for full time starting action. I see no real reason that the Rams should not make every attempt to find their 2015 starting center this season while under extreme heat & fire.
I agree with every point, as this is exactly how I see it. It has worked with Austin Davis, so why not try something else at this point, and see what you have. This isn't the first week that I wanted them to make changes, but I also understand the need for some continuity. The problem is that the continuity is continually below par.

I thought we might see G. Rob after the bye week. I didn't expect Wells to be replaced, but he's the player that I've wanted them to replace since the preseason. I don't know why Barnes couldn't call the protections at this point, and he's a stronger blocker, who plays with a bit of an edge, something I rarely see from Wells. What good does it do for Wells to be calling the protections if it isn't helping anyhow, or he simply blows his own assignments?

Clearly, Davis had no idea on a couple free rushers, and that might be on him, but you'd think a veteran would be able to give him a clue, or head's up.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I have read here with other posters who disagree with me on the OL, where they believe the OL is doing very well. I agree that generally Barksdale & Long have been very good thus far with Saffold too. But it takes five working together to make a decent OL.

Those wide side left pass rushers that the Eagles threw constantly at us was embarrassing. It didn't happen just once but they came often causing Davis all kinds of issues. You would think the veteran Ram OL would see them??? I understand the reason for this lineup it was a very sound plan....but Wells never regained any physical abilities & Joseph continues to whiff, miss assignments & is just plain way slow footed & slow mentally period to make any adjustment. The OL plan just did not work out with these two veteran OL'ers. Its extremely hard to make changes like 3/5ths of your OL so early when injury has no part in any of it. So if this current starting OL as is gives us the best chance of a few wins over the next 7 weeks :eek:.

Last edited:

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Why does everyone blame the coaching when the players fail to execute?

Think of it like this, Ramathon.

If most of the kids in Miss Jones 3rd grade class are failing their tests, do you blame all the kids?

Or do you take a hard look at Miss Jones' teaching methods?

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I think its time to activate GRob. I'd rather we put in a 6th O lineman to protect Davis than let him get squashed. If it means we have 1 less receiver I think we'll be just fine. Davis seems to understand how tall his receivers are ( Cook, Quick, Britt) and these guys can win the jump ball.