The NFL’s Wide Receiver Crisis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Flint

Pro Bowler
I hope your totally right !! I guess I’m still drinking the juice. He looked good against The Saints to begin 2017. I think when he gets into a rhythm he is tough. He doesn’t make the plays downfield at all though.

Sam has “arm talent “ as they say, if he could stay healthy and play more than 1 year someplace I think we would see that talent. But you can’t throw without a good base and I don’t know if his legs are going to hold up for a whole season. Shame.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A crisis? What? If anything, the WR position is oversaturated with talent.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Yeah, not sure I get this. The first rounders aren't working out by some measures, but one of the greatest WR drafts happened just a few years ago in the far off time of 2014.

Odell, Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks, Sammy Watkins, and Kelvin Benjamin in the first round alone. After that, you have other notables like...

Marquise Lee, Paul Richardson, Jordan Matthews, DeVante Adams, Allen Robinson, Jarvis Landry, Donte Moncrief, John Brown, Martavius Bryant, Ryan Grant, Quincy Enunwa, Willie Snead, and Allen Hurns.

Some of those later guys have only shown flashes or have had derailments due to injury, but that stretch from DeVante to Landry is three pro bowl receivers on day 2 picks. That first round is impressive. Name another time 5 players were picked from the same position group in the first round, and they all worked out as well as that. Benjamin is the disappointment in that bunch and he still has potential to be a 1000 yd guy. It's odd that they put their cut off right after 2014.

And some of the guys they bring up are rookies who had injuries like Corey Davis, John Ross, or Mike Williams. To bring up rookies in the first place is ridiculous, but to bring up those with injuries is doubly so. How does bringing up injured guys indicate a crisis at the position and how it's taught? That doesn't back up the argument they are making.

I remember when people were giving guys 2-3 years at the receiver spot to break in and now it's instant gratification. The same thing happened with QBs after Luck, RG3, and Wilson hit it big their rookie years and subsequent draft classes were and have been looked down upon since then. People need to readjust themselves after a big rookie position class hits the scene and stop thinking that it's always the norm for guys to come in and put up Odell or AJ Green numbers in year one.

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Also, artificially limiting this to the 1st round is an issue as well. To disregard later rounds is silly and makes this seem like more of an issue than it is. They are basically saying that out of 3-5 possibly picked out of a pool of 32 that if only one of them hits it's an issue or something. That shouldn't be shocking and it sounds like it's more of a talent evaluation/coaching problem more than anything.

Not every draft has 5 guys worthy of a first-round pick at a position like 2014. This isn't a strong class for top end receiver talent, but positions have down years sometimes. The 2013 draft being shitty at QB after an amazing 2012 QB class didn't mean the NFL had a QB crisis because of a down year, and WR classes not living up to 2014's standard doesn't mean the same for receivers.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sam has “arm talent “ as they say, if he could stay healthy and play more than 1 year someplace I think we would see that talent. But you can’t throw without a good base and I don’t know if his legs are going to hold up for a whole season. Shame.

I don't know what talent you are talking about..........he's been average, at best, his entire pro career. I swear I don't understand how so many people defend his mediocre performances with his injuries.

I'm glad he's in AZ, it will help them achieve that 7-9 bullshit.

Ants

Starter
I don't know what talent you are talking about..........he's been average, at best, his entire pro career. I swear I don't understand how so many people defend his mediocre performances with his injuries.

I'm glad he's in AZ, it will help them achieve that 7-9 bullcrap.

:dizzy: WHAT?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I'm glad he's in AZ, it will help them achieve that 7-9 bullcrap.
I'm so with you on this. Sure I wanted him to be all that when he was a Ram, he just wasn't, and isn't all that.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
C'mon Les....dude has talent