The NFL’s Wide Receiver Crisis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Words of wisdom from former Rams receiver Ricky Proehl.
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/10/d...auletta-jimmy-garoppolo-chad-kanoff-princeton

The NFL’s Wide Receiver Crisis
Over the past three drafts, the 13 first-round wideouts have produced one Pro Bowler, and nine players who have never caught 40 passes in a season. From terminology, to routes, to how they’re taught to catch the ball, a look at why so many first-round receivers are becoming busts
By CONOR ORR

It’s the first day of organized activities and the quarterback enters the huddle with a play call: Twins right, scat right, fake zoom, seam 678 Y flat drag.

For a coach working with rookie wide receivers, it’s a thrilling moment to see a new dimension in the offense. It’s also a common frustration to see them bailing out after the first section of the first play call.

“They’re sitting there going, ‘What the hell is that?’” says Ricky Proehl, a 17-year NFL wideout and Panthers position coach from 2011-16, who currently trains college prospects. “They’re sitting there, they heard twins right and are still trying to line up. First thing they say: Twins right? O.K., I’m the Z, so I line up on the right. They didn’t hear any of the other s--- because they’re trying to figure out, ‘Where do I line up?’”

Proehl is definitely buying into the theory that the wide receiver position is in a bit of a crisis at the college level. It’s hard to believe, just four years removed from the Sammy Watkins/Mike Evans/Odell Beckham Jr./Brandin Cooks/Kelvin Benjamin class, we are entering a draft that may only contain one or two first-round picks at the position.

Since 2014, only Amari Cooper has been picked in the first round and gone on to a Pro Bowl. Kevin White, DeVante Parker, Breshad Perriman, Nelson Agholor, Phillip Dorsett, Corey Coleman, Will Fuller, Josh Doctson, Laquon Treadwell, Corey Davis, Mike Williams and John Ross have all been slowed by injuries or slow to lift off.

The reasons are three-pronged, and could be why some of your favorite NFL teams are drafting receivers specifically out of the few pro-style offenses remaining in college, like Alabama, Georgia, LSU and Florida State (under Jimbo Fisher, who took the Texas A&M job last winter).

1. Collegiate offenses reduce wideouts to one side of the ball with limited responsibilities.

“They say hey, you’re going to be the A receiver. The A receiver lines up on the left. The B receiver lines up on the right. And then this receiver lines up slot right because the tight end is on the left,” Proehl says.

The issues at play: The receiver is often in his own world. He splits out and checks with his coordinator or position coach, who reads the coverages for him, and then directs the receiver to one of a few routes that correlate.

“They don’t worry about motion,” Proehl says. “They don’t worry about snap count. They don’t hear anything else and the coach holds the board up and they know I got one of five plays where I’m running a go, post, slant or a comeback. That’s all they’re running. If he’s off I’m running a hitch. Man, I’m running a go.”

2. Coaches are starting to teach routes differently, and perhaps less effectively.

Take one of the most basic components of the NFL route tree: the curl. For years, the receiver was taught to run 12 yards, plant hard and work back to the quarterback at a 45-degree angle. This allows the quarterback to throw a split-second early—like when the receiver digs his heel in to turn.

Now, receivers are coming out of school running the curl as a continuous semicircle, which creates myriad problems at the next level.

“When you’re running a semicircle, you’re keeping your arms moving and chopping, some coaches think its great because you’re playing fast, you’re not stopping,” Proehl says. “But a guy running a semicircle, if I’m running it and a guy like Kelvin Benjamin is running it, our circles are going to be different. The quarterback has to wait for you to come out and square your shoulders. That takes more time.”

That extra time means defensive backs have a window to undercut the route.

“When you come to him, plant your foot in the ground and come back at an angle, you’re boxing him out. He’s behind you. You create and maintain separation with your angle coming back to the QB.”

3. The use of the ‘fingertip method’

Proehl says some receivers are now taught to catch the ball with their fingertips, or are at least enamored by the prospects of it—the silent woosh, the aesthetic of it.

The problem is that there is little strength in those muscles, which could cause a batted pass from a defender or an outright drop. Proehl, who now works with agencies like powerhouse Rep 1 sports to prepare their draft-eligible wideouts and maintains a stable of NFL clients at his PSP training facility in North Carolina, prefers an attacking method.

“Try and hold a ball with your fingertips and see how easy it is to strip out of your hand,” Proehl says. “Put your whole surface of your palm and your fingers on the ball. That’s how you catch a ball. Every part of your hand. The more of your hand you have on the ball, the more you have to maintain an attack from a DB when he tries to strip it.

“Fingertips? There are 10 little points on the ball. Guys say it’s so cool. Man, I want my guys to be aggressive.”

One more damning comment…

I asked Proehl if, before he left the Panthers after the 2016 season, there was a sense among NFL scouts and coaches that receivers were diminishing in value, at least enough to invest serious draft capital. His answer:

“We heard that more with running backs at the time, that they’re a dime a dozen, that you don’t take them in the first round. When I was coaching, there were classes with Julio Jones, A.J. Green, Odell Beckham. That never came up before, but I have heard that this year. The receivers coming out just didn’t impress at the combine—no true route runners, and there may not be a whole lot [going in the first round].”

So who might gamble on a first-round receiver this year?

Keep your eyes on the Cardinals, who visited privately with Texas A&M wideout Christian Kirk; the Seahawks, who are in geographical proximity to Washington’s Dante Pettis; and the Saints, who have had multiple connections with fringe first-round prospects throughout the pre-draft process.

The Bears might have no choice but to keep swinging and have had contact with consensus No. 1 receiver Calvin Ridley out of Alabama. But the Cowboys might be the safest bet. With Dez Bryant in decline, they spoke with Ridley and Maryland’s D.J. Moore at the combine. Their local pro day also provides access to a ton of talent, including Courtland Sutton from SMU.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Rememeber when no one was excited about Wentz and Goff before the draft? I know I remember most media outlets confirming both qbs would be average and shouldn't be picked so high in the draft.

Perspective.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rememeber when no one was excited about Wentz and Goff before the draft? I know I remember most media outlets confirming both qbs would be average and shouldn't be picked so high in the draft.

Perspective.

Say What ???

No other teams could move up after The Rams & Eagles traded for them . Everyone knew The Rams we’re going to draft Jared Goff !!!

Did you see what both teams gave up to get the pciks ??

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
Say What ???

No other teams could move up after The Rams & Eagles traded for them . Everyone knew The Rams we’re going to draft Jared Goff !!!

Did you see what both teams gave up to get the pciks ??

What you don't remember pretty much everyone saying both Goff and Wentz weren't deserving to be top 5 picks? I sure as hell do

Obvi both the Rams and eagles were sold but the sports media world was not .

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Look at the misses at wideout the past few seasons up high in the draft. It's crazy. Lot of guys comin in to the NFL who are not living up to their draft value.

IMO this is similar, albeit to a lesser degree, to the OL problem. In that college teams are finding that development of players isn't worth their time past a certain extent where they get them playing fast and using their athleticism. And it goes back to the fact that these kids can declare so quickly for the draft.

I believe the NFL needs to find a way to keep these kids in school. It benefits them in the end even if they don't realize it, and allows the college teams to do a better job developing and utilizing pro techniques and schemes.

If that's not an option then the NFL needs to loosen their wallets and create a dev league and have them play in the smallest cities or maybe even overseas where they want to push their brand. They might not make money on the venture, but in the end it's not just about income. Or it shouldn't be in my opinion at least. The benefits of a minor league system--even one level--help to outweigh cost concerns IMO. And it's not like they need to pay these guys enormous money, they could structure things so that if you get drafted and aren't good enough to crack the active roster your pay falls back to the dev total. Teams and players win.

It would of course require a lost season and a battle with the player's union, but that's coming anyway. Also, I would think more jobs would also be attractive to the players.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I can see it. Proehl knows his stuff. Other than the Julio draft, there haven’t been a lot of very good receivers coming to the NFL. There are a few here and there but for the most part we aren’t seeing a lot of stars each year.

It’s the dumbing down of football, by the majority of colleges using the spread. It has made it more difficult for Olinemen to transition to the NFL also.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
What you don't remember pretty much everyone saying both Goff and Wentz weren't deserving to be top 5 picks? I sure as hell do

Obvi both the Rams and eagles were sold but the sports media world was not .
They needed something to talk about other wise it is boring.

I just knew The Rams we’re going to take Jared Goff & thought why . The Rams have to Quality QB’s Who knows even draft a Dak Prescott .
Truth is The Rams also had Mannion. The timing was confusing & dumb imo !!

In truth of what I knew was it was a rebuild !!
There is no way you can be a winner that soon with what The Rams fave up. Philly not so much.

Sam Bradford played a role in both trades. Let’s hope he doesn’t do well in the dessert , but I think he can be as good as Carson Palmer.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hmmm....So maybe we should look at B. Quick with a grain of salt???:thinking:

I think a couple of these wr's can be special...I like the dude Chart...sounds like sharted, out of LSU....LOL....and I like Sutton.

Ole Ricky made some decent points....I do like wr's that catch with their fingers. The quiet catch. I don't believe coaches...even in pop warner...teach wr's to round off routeso_O....some can plant and cut....some can't...and don't try it.

Reminds me of some Cooks routes....how he chops his feet b4 cutting...which of course slows down the timing.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
This article makes me even happier that we got cooks.....even for a first round pick.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan

Yup, seen enough of that with Fisher's blunders with Quick and Robinson; starting to appreciate the value of prospects with a balance of football smarts and physical tangibles. Luckily McSnead are playing ahead of the curve and finding gems like Kupp and Johnson III, expect the trend to continue

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The sad fact is, college football is no where near what it used to be for getting kids ready to play in he NFL. Its gotten so dumbed down and simple for them X's and O's wise, its like jumping from basic math to calculus when they get to the NFL. Not only for WR's, but for OL and QB.
Come draft time its a real crap shoot for Scouts, HC's a GM's.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
The sad fact is, college football is no where near what it used to be for getting kids ready to play in he NFL. Its gotten so dumbed down and simple for them X's and O's wise, its like jumping from basic math to calculus when they get to the NFL. Not only for WR's, but for OL and QB.
Come draft time its a real crap shoot for Scouts, HC's a GM's.

More and more, college football is about recruiting and overmatching the opponent with speed and scheme where the athletes essentially play fast because they are on rails.

If this keeps up, the NFL is going to need a developmental league because the games are diverging at a rapid clip.

It's now becoming everyone on offense from OL to WR to QB that plays so differently that all of them are essentially "developmental" positions where it's rare to find a contributor. RB is about the only spot where a rookie can be expected to really contribute right away.

It makes Kupp's rookie season all that much more special.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sam Bradford played a role in both trades. Let’s hope he doesn’t do well in the dessert , but I think he can be as good as Carson Palmer.

LOl he is nowhere NEAR Palmer's ability, not even close.

Ramrocket

Hating 49ers and Seahawks from afar
Name
Rod

upload_2018-4-11_10-25-4.png

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
LOl he is nowhere NEAR Palmer's ability, not even close.

I hope your totally right !! I guess I’m still drinking the juice. He looked good against The Saints to begin 2017. I think when he gets into a rhythm he is tough. He doesn’t make the plays downfield at all though.