The NFL is a nonprofit organization (really)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

i don't have a problem with it - especially with how involved with the charities the NFL and NFL players are

Sum1

Hall of Fame
I read something about that a couple months back...I can't remember the details exactly but I remember it not being quite what you think upon first hearing it.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I read something about that a couple months back...I can't remember the details exactly but I remember it not being quite what you think upon first hearing it.
well, they don't have to pay taxes... they r exempt.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Yeah but like I said ( and I really can't remember, so I'm probably speaking out of turn), there was something about it that made sense...something like the "NFL" isn't paying taxes but each individual team is...or something like that.

I don't know...over my head.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The LEAGUE OFFICE is a non-profit...which they are. They pass all profits to the teams which are taxed. The teams are taxed. The League Office is not.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
What's wrong with that? If the profits all get taxed at team level taxing the league would be double taxing.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
What's wrong with that? If the profits all get taxed at team level taxing the league would be double taxing.
Profits! What profits? We ain't got no stinkin' profits.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Profits! What profits? We ain't got no stinkin' profits.
That's right the "profits" are passed through to the thirty two teams where they get taxed,S corps do the same thing the "profits" are taxed as income of the owners.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
That's right the "profits" are passed through to the thirty two teams where they get taxed,S corps do the same thing the "profits" are taxed as income of the owners.
do u really think americans understand that this is how the IRS nonprofit tax waiver is being used? in effect, nfl hq is a huge marketing lobbying entity that benefits all of the owners, and this separate entity is untaxed for revenue it generates. an s-corp was a way for partnerships to achieve liability protection at the same tax structure. this is wholesale skirting of taxes by organizing as a sporting organization. somehow, i dont thing it was intended for $10B+ entities.

hey, the irs should go away, but if we're going to have to have them, then at least show some level of fairness.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
do u really think americans understand that this is how the IRS nonprofit tax waiver is being used? in effect, nfl hq is a huge marketing lobbying entity that benefits all of the owners, and this separate entity is untaxed for revenue it generates. an s-corp was a way for partnerships to achieve liability protection at the same tax structure. this is wholesale skirting of taxes by organizing as a sporting organization. somehow, i dont thing it was intended for $10B+ entities.

hey, the irs should go away, but if we're going to have to have them, then at least show some level of fairness.
I think most Americans don't understand the first thing about taxes otherwise they would vote far differently than they do.
I can't make you understand that taxing the revenue at one level is fair,taxing it twice would be unfair but I do understand from months of conversing with you that you consistently view the league and it's leadership as an evil $10B+entity .
ALL the after expense revenue gets taxed,who pays the tax ? the teams do,no skirting is occurring at all and FWIW you are exhibiting a lack of understanding of taxes and tax law that makes this whole discussion more about attitude than certitude.
The NFL is NOT a separate entity it's a collection of partners who share the revenue equally and are taxed on it,BTW they don't pay taxes on what they pay the players either ,the players do.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
I think most Americans don't understand the first thing about taxes otherwise they would vote far differently than they do.
I can't make you understand that taxing the revenue at one level is fair,taxing it twice would be unfair but I do understand from months of conversing with you that you consistently view the league and it's leadership as an evil $10B+entity .
ALL the after expense revenue gets taxed,who pays the tax ? the teams do,no skirting is occurring at all and FWIW you are exhibiting a lack of understanding of taxes and tax law that makes this whole discussion more about attitude than certitude.
The NFL is NOT a separate entity it's a collection of partners who share the revenue equally and are taxed on it,BTW they don't pay taxes on what they pay the players either ,the players do.
Okay, I renege on my early promise to make that my last post because I am left to defend myself and my position here.

First, let's not make this thread about me or your, okay? Mostly, because any assumptions made are almost certainly wrong. Also, 'cause in general we're trying not to do that here at ROD.

Second, the point that the NFL is merely avoiding double taxation by forming as a non-profit organization is simply not accurate, just ask New York State. By distributing money flows directly to owners the NFL not only avoids federal taxation (of NFL HQ) but ALSO avoids state taxation in New York. As the other owners are not necessarily incorporated in New York State, these are state taxes that NY does not receive. So, the NFL operates its HQ in NY but pays no state tax in NY. Even if NFL HQ was organized as an S-Corp -- where profits flow directly to shareholders and then is taxed, as was suggested earlier the thread -- the owners would be forced to pay state taxes in New York as well as in their home based state of incorporation or location or both. It's a tax avoidance issue, clearly.

Ultimately, I find it utterly duplicitous to while on the one hand put a hand out to taxpayers across this country for new stadiums and stadium upgrades while also charging premium prices for events while also organizing ones head office as a nonprofit organization. If you ask me, the public is getting squeezed at every touchpoint. So yes, while I love the game of professional football I continue to uncover evidence that demonstrates that the people running professional football are business men who don't deserve any public trust whatsoever, irrespective of all the PR niceties they pump the public with.

P.S. I hope we don't lose another thread.

Sum1

Hall of Fame

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Here is a good article on the matter. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9342479/examining-nfl-tax-exempt-status-challenged-us-senator-tom-coburn

It seems evident to me that any of the for profit entities the NFL has (NFL Network, etc.) are taxed as a separate entity through the corporation NFL Ventures.

Each team is taxed federally and in the state in which they do business.

I don't see anything unfair being done here. Every dollar earned is being taxed...every dollar spent is being taxed.
You are correct ,nothing unfair all teams pay taxes in the state in which they are domicile, I am sure Roger Goodell pays New York state taxes as do all the employees domicile there,but if New Yawk don't like it I'm sure the league can move to Fla or Tex states with no state income tax. Coburns logic is flawed beyond belief,if the league were taxed at the top marginal rate 39.6% and then the teams were as well,that would be around 70% of the revenue going to the Federal government,might as well just nationalize it and get it over with cuz the ROI wouldn't be there to make anyone want to own.
The NFLPA is a tax exempt entity as well and union dues are tax deductible, that's the real scam