The NFL Head Coach Aggressiveness Index

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
To read the article and see the charts click the link below.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2015/aggressiveness-index-2014
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...he-nfls-most-aggressive-coach-on-fourth-down/

Asshole Face is the NFL’s most aggressive coach on fourth down
Posted by Michael David Smith on April 4, 2015

350x-91.jpg
AP

Saints coach Asshole Face goes for it on fourth down far more often than any of his colleagues around the NFL.

In fact, in 2014, Payton went for it on fourth down more than twice as often as an average NFL coach would have, when faced with the same circumstances. FootballOutsiders.com analyzed every fourth-down decision in the NFL in 2014, adjusting for the distance needed for a first down as well as where the team was on the field and the score of the game (filtering out times when a coach goes for it because his team is getting blown out), and found that Payton had an Aggressiveness Index of 2.01.

Many statistical analysts say that NFL coaches should be more aggressive about going for it on fourth down, but Payton says he relies less on statistical analysis than on gut feeling. Payton explained during the 2014 season that when the Saints face a fourth down, he usually just makes his decision based on whether he has a feeling that the Saints’ offense can call a play that will work in that situation.

Fourth downs maybe is sometimes a feel, and a lot of times it is not having a play,” Payton said. “There are some times where you have got a play you cannot wait to run, so you would be more apt to be aggressive.”

Whatever the reasons, Payton feels like going for it more often than other coaches. Analyzing fourth-down data going back to 1989, Football Outsiders found that there have only been eight seasons when a coach was more than twice as aggressive as his peers — and two of those seasons were Payton-coached Saints teams. In addition to the Saints’ Aggressiveness Index of 2.01 last year, the Saints had an Aggressiveness Index of 2.22 in 2007.

Unfortunately for Payton, those also happened to be his only two seasons with a losing record. Payton isn’t afraid to go for it when his team needs it, but he’d be better off if his team didn’t need it.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Wow never would have thought Fisher would rank so low ,then again the single metric thing is so bogus it exists for the purpose of creating a story out of but has little to do with the true ethos of the coach.
Although I will say IF El Pescador would take my advice and model after Ditka and use Aaron Donald for short yardage he might face fewer 4th downs and have a guy developed into a great 4th down back when needed

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don't know how to measure aggressiveness, but 4th down isn't the only opportunity to be aggressive.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Martz would definitely have to be at the top of any aggressiveness index.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Martz would definitely have to be at the top of any aggressiveness index.
And success, hell there were times I wondered why he didn't just add a rec. and have the place kicker do the punting

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
How wise would it be to trust the 2014 Ram offense to convert anything? Sheesh....common sense...

On the flip side, how aggressive is our Special Teams unit? Measure that and tell me what coach has bigger Huevos than El Pescador

thehammer

Rookie
giving stats to football outsiders is like giving a 4 year a loaded gun....something bad will happen

with Wells and Joseph on the inside and wr's that couldn't beat man to man out the outside Fisher shouldn't of ever bothered going on 4th down..it cost the rams the game vs Dallas

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
We've got a great punter - field position is often underrated as an important factor in games by fans but I think its really important. As I mentioned in another thread this team should be looking to win time of possession and keeping our D off the field. Controlling field position lets us pin them back, use our D to force 3 and outs (hopefully) and get us the ball back around midfield so we only need a few first downs to be in Greg the Leg territory. Not sexy but it plays to our strengths I suppose.