The next adjustment

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
So Sean McVay has implemented a system whereby the offense quickly lines up in a formation and depending on the defensive alignment, McVay relays to Jared his playcall. Brilliant. But what’s next?

Defensive coordinators will adjust to this by deploying base alignments and a subsequent backup to thwart McVay’s call. This will create the need for another adjustment by McVay.

One way to combat this will be for Sean to occasionally call for quick snaps to occur before the defense realigns. Trust me when I say we will see a few of these in the next game if the game is close. Personally, I’d prefer he roll it out against Philly.

But the next step will be regular RPO’s so that when the defense realigns, Jared can make a second or third check to the right play. It’s going to be a fun chess match that Sean and Jared will win and will develop over the many years they establish what even Kurt Warner recognized as the Greatest Show on Surf.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
http://www.espn.com/espnradio/play?id=21092756

around the 21min mark. heard this live a month or so ago and found it very interesting, and seems like the same concept of waiting til the playclock hits a certain number to shift your D can be useful vs the rams.
The Rams could do the same thing, and they could have "Last second changes" to there Offensive set!

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Does the offense have to line up immediately after the huddle? Meaning, could they break the huddle, then just stand there for a while waiting until it gets down close, move rapidly into position and small the ball while the defense tried to figure out who goes where?

I understand lining up right away to review what the defense thinks it's doing, but you could also not give them the chance to adapt/adjust/line up completely by waiting thereby screwing their whole play call.

Hold on, let me call McVay real quick...

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
There's always an adjustment to what offenses are doing. Peyton Manning did the same thing but without the coach in his ear. Or who knows, maybe he had the coach helping him out too. But Peyton was more often successful than he was not.
Personally I love what McVay is doing, people are going to bash Goff on it and say he's not where he should be but he'll learn form what McVay is doing and will soon enough be the General on the field much like Manning was, then we'll be really dangerous.
Love where this team is headed!

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
Right now, I'm sure you could say, Goff is a product of the system. (being how the system tells him where to go and what to key off of.....) The only time outside the system are "off schedule" plays (ie... the Reynolds TD the other day....) He's getting better where he doesn't need it as much, but right now Jared is still learning as the system supplies him w/ the knowledge to still perform at a high level. But overall, it's teaching him to be able to adjust to the adjustments on down the road.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
The difficulty of defensive adjustments pre-snap is that the offense controls when the play begins. Sure, defenses can change alignments, assignments, and coverages but a well timed snap can catch them in transition leading to defensive miscues or delayed reactions.

The best way for defenses to counter this offense is with complex disguises like the Vikings did. Show the offense something and force them to call your bluff or fall into your trap.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
The Rams could do the same thing, and they could have "Last second changes" to there Offensive set!

But like Vilma said, the offense is up against the clock so theres only so much they can do. im sure as teams scout the rams more and more itll become an even bigger chess match each week. and goff growing and understanding the checks mcvay makes and why he makes them so he can eventually do it all himself will only make the chess game that much more interesting.

and if teams do start waiting til like 10 secs to show their real defensive look, im sure youll see the rams adjust over time to start running some quicker snaps too here and there to keep the defense honest

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Too many times,blown coverages lead to big plays. Try in to get defenses to be dancing around, changing plays at the last second will lead to a lot of mental mistakes by the defenders. I hope someone tries it.