The mystery of the #2 pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Honestly, is there any team more unpredictable in the early part of this draft than the Rams?

Robinson makes sense - rare prospect - fits our style - certainly worthy of the slot.

Watkins makes sense - we finally get that #1 WR - also worthy of the slot.

Matthews makes sense - a finished product, bloodline ties.

Clowney makes sense - the #1 player in the entire draft always makes sense.

Mack makes sense - you can't go wrong adding an elite piece to the front 7 - worthy of the slot.

Trading down makes sense if we can find a buyer.

Then you throw in the wildcard options like taking Manziel - which doesn't make as much sense unless they have just been blowing complete smoke on faith in Sam.

Its astounding how many really good options there are for the Rams. Makes me hope we come up from 13 and get 2 of them.

FRO

Legend
I think Clowney is head and shoulders above the other prospects. If he is there than he is the pick.

Watkins fills the biggest need.

The OTs would be huge help.

I would be disappointed in Mack. Just because I view him as someone who isn't vastly more talented than Watkins, Robinson, and Matthews and he doesn't fill a need. Clowney doesn't fill a need, but he is too good to pass.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
We have an amazing amount of options and there's not too many options where I'd be disappointed. That's why it hurts to wait this long until the draft, because I have no idea the direction the Rams are going to go. This isn't one of the scenarios where the Rams are choosing between 2 players. We have at least 6 options and they all are fantastic, at least in my mind.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I just hope we get someone's first rounder next year if we trade down. I've grown accustomed to having two picks in the first now.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Honestly, is there any team more unpredictable in the early part of this draft than the Rams?

Robinson makes sense - rare prospect - fits our style - certainly worthy of the slot.

Watkins makes sense - we finally get that #1 WR - also worthy of the slot.

Matthews makes sense - a finished product, bloodline ties.

Clowney makes sense - the #1 player in the entire draft always makes sense.

Mack makes sense - you can't go wrong adding an elite piece to the front 7 - worthy of the slot.

Trading down makes sense if we can find a buyer.

Then you throw in the wildcard options like taking Manziel - which doesn't make as much sense unless they have just been blowing complete smoke on faith in Sam.

Its astounding how many really good options there are for the Rams. Makes me hope we come up from 13 and get 2 of them.
The Texans pick is not clear either. I think we both want to trade down.

RamEERS

Pastor
I think we're waiting on watkins... if he's gone.. trade.. if he's there.. pick

A55VA6

Legend
So many options.. at the end of the day we'll end up with a great player.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The more I think about it, the more Watkins doesn't make sense. Not because he's not worthy of the #2 pick and not because he couldn't give Bradford the best WR he's ever had. Thing is, I just don't see Schotty maximizing Watkins anywhere near as much as Boudreau can maximize Robinson. Fisher owns Schotty, and Schotty runs what Fisher wants within the scheme and philosophy of Fisher's offense. And what is that? It's a run first offense. And a run first offense is best served with a dominant OL, not another toy for Schotty to misuse.

Dave Te Thomas said they aren't all that high on Watkins in StL. Maybe he knows something, maybe not. But it certainly makes sense that they wouldn't be high on taking a WR at #2 when they are staring at an elite OL prospect who can dramatically impact their run first offense.

Now if they dumped Scottenheimer before the draft and hired someone like Martz to be the OC, then I would change my pick to Watkins, just like Dick Vermiel changed his pick from Champ Bailey to Torry Holt in 1999.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
I just hope we get someone's first rounder next year if we trade down. I've grown accustomed to having two picks in the first now.
True, but if we got something like the Browns' #4 and #26 for the #2, I'd be all over that in an instant.

#26 would be perfect for picking up Yankey or Su'a-Filo if we didn't got Robinson or Matthews with #4.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
It ain't flashy, but Robinson is the pick I want at #2. I really want impact on the o-line, some talent for a change

Memphis Ram

Legend
If I were a gambling man and the Rams are unable to deal the #2 pick, I'd probably bet big that the selection is either going to be Clowney or Matthews.

Clowney if the Texans pass. Matthews otherwise.

The real mystery is pick #13. I think they are going to trade up a few spots.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think they should trade up to #1 if Houston will take a 4th and maybe the 7s.

From there, you can still auction the pick off - the Rams may be willing to trade down farther than Houston is willing to go. Or better yet, just take Clowney and be done with it.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
I think they should trade up to #1 if Houston will take a 4th and maybe the 7s.

From there, you can still auction the pick off - the Rams may be willing to trade down farther than Houston is willing to go. Or better yet, just take Clowney and be done with it.
Why would we do that? Clowney isn't a must have for us and we gain nothing by moving up a spot outside of losing the bodies we need to get better depth.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why would we do that? Clowney isn't a must have for us and we gain nothing by moving up a spot outside of losing the bodies we need to get better depth.

We have more draft picks than we do open roster spots, so some of the guys that they draft are going to be cut anyway. Even with that said - I wouldn't be shocked to see another UDFA or two makes this team.

No player in this draft is a must have - but Clowney is the best player and we are one of the few teams with the ammo to get him.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
We have more draft picks than we do open roster spots, so some of the guys that they draft are going to be cut anyway. Even with that said - I wouldn't be shocked to see another UDFA or two makes this team.

No player in this draft is a must have - but Clowney is the best player and we are one of the few teams with the ammo to get him.
But how do you get him on the field without benching a proven player who was also a 1st round pick?