The Most Popular Pies To Have On Thanksgiving, Through A Pie Pie Chart

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Agamemnon

Rookie
The Most Popular Pies To Have On Thanksgiving, Through A Pie Pie Chart
Posted: 11/20/2012 8:55 am

Here's a confession: I'm not a huge fan of turkey. Not a huge fan of mashed potatoes or cranberries or buttered things, either. What I do love -- and I mean love -- about Thanksgiving, though, is the dessert.

Keep your oversized birds and your baby food side dishes. Sit me down with a hot, hunking piece of apple pie a la mode and I'm set for the winter.

(click here for full res)

Here's a look at the top nine pie types Americans are eating this Thanksgiving:

1. Apple - 20%
  2. Strawberry - 19%
  3. Pumpkin - 16%
  4. Cherry - 13%
  5. Blueberry - 9%
  6. Pecan - 8%
  7. Lemon Meringue - 8%
  8. Chocolate - 5%
  9. Chess - 2%
And a few extra pie facts for good measure:
  • Apparently, the first pies were filled with meat and called coffins, which could either be a total misnomer or completely accurate (probably both).
  • Mini, sliced and half pies make up 24 percent of pies bought. Yay portion control.
  • Recent growths in popularity for blueberry and cherry pies can be attributed to the public's desire for antioxidants. Because nothing screams "healthy" like your third slice of blueberry pie.
  • Pies are slowly starting to challenge cupcakes for title of "trendiest dessert."
chart via Coupon Cabin / pie facts via NPR
Written by Foodbeast's Dominique Zamora

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/foodbeast/most-popular-pies-thanksgiving_b_2160342.html

Follow Foodbeast on Twitter: www.twitter.com/foodbeast

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
They completely forgot my favorite: rhubarb. Not to be confused with strawberry rhubarb. The strawberry destroys the tartness of the rhubarb.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
wtf is a chess pie?

Since you've been helpful with Albe I'll pitch in:

Recipes vary, but are generally similar in that they call for the preparation of a single crust and a filling composed of eggs, butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar and vanilla. What sets chess pie apart from many other custard pies is the addition of cornmeal. Some recipes also call for corn syrup, which tends to create a more gelatinous consistency. The pie is then baked. The finished product is often consumed with coffee.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Pecan and pumpkin pies are the only pies I'll eat around the holidays...but they're more than enough for me. Mmm...pie...

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
I would have thought Pumpkin pie would have been #1 followed by either Apple pie or Sweet Potato Pie. The other pies do not make me think Thanksgiving at all

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm with you Memento! The only pies my family serves on Thanksgiving are Pumpkin and Pecan. It's a tradition.

The other pies are for other moments!

Sum1

Hall of Fame
There is no pie I will turn down no matter what holiday.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Pumpkin or apple pie are the only ones ive ever had at thanksgivings, and usually its pumkin.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
Thanksgiving and Xmas those are the two nights every year when my chances for poontang pie skyrocket into the 20%-30% range.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Thanksgiving and Xmas those are the two nights every year when my chances for poontang pie skyrocket into the 20%-30% range.
lol, I actually have less of a chance for that, because we tend to host people during those holidays.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Did nobody else's family have Mincemeat Pie around the holidays? It was traditional in my family growing up.