The Most Important Player the Rams had, and Let get-away!?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I'm a huge fan of Fletcher, I wish he had spent his entire career with the Rams. But if I had one mulligan it would be keeping Warner.

Even Martz himself has admitted it was a freak up.

Martz said the same about Fletcher, too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I knew a Concessioner, at the L.A. Coliseum at that Time, and he told me up to the time of Rosenblooms death he had given "Strict" orders that Georgia was Never allowed to come their and be around the Team. And that everyone knew that he was Training Steve to take over the Team, and he was going to leave him the Team. So, he told me, everyone was surprised when the Will came out, and everything was the reverse of what they thought was going to happen. Take this for what it's worth rumor, whatever. It's just what I was told by someone I trusted.

I totally believe that is what Carroll Rosenbloom wanted, however, leaving it to Georgia avoided the tax now maybe Steve Rosenbloom was ready for the tax, however, Carroll Rosenbloom really believed Georgia wanted nothing to do with the football team and that she would play ball so to speak and let Steve run the franchise. Problem was that a person in the legal department by the name of John Shaw got in Georgia's ear and advised her on how much power she actually had. Thus Steve was out and she brought back Don Kloserman for just a couple of years.

We could go on and on about this I truly wished she just sold the team, however, now she had something to do and although flaky the NFL now had a minority owner which Rozelle did not mind. In the end for Georgia and John Shaw it was all about the money winning well, that was not a priority. She did not move the team to Anaheim Carroll Rosenbloom and Steve Rosenbloom made that decision, but in the end Madame Georgia with Shaw with her every step of the way the NFL was going to make a ton of cash and that's why she just never sold the team.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The Pittsburgh Steelers, for lack of a better term, ripped off the Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams in a draft-day deal that sent Bettis to Pittsburgh for a mid-round pick and swapped second round picks. A revitalization for the Steelers, a black eye for the Rams.

I loved Warner and there have unfortuantely been far too many of these bonehead moves with this franchise but in my book the trade of Bettis is the worst move .

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/2/18/5421748/steelers-trades-list-jerome-bettis-rams

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
The Pittsburgh Steelers, for lack of a better term, ripped off the Los Angeles/St. Louis Rams in a draft-day deal that sent Bettis to Pittsburgh for a mid-round pick and swapped second round picks. A revitalization for the Steelers, a black eye for the Rams.

I loved Warner and there have unfortuantely been far too many of these bonehead moves with this franchise but in my book the trade of Bettis is the worst move .

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2014/2/18/5421748/steelers-trades-list-jerome-bettis-rams
I never really understood the reasoning behind this move!

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I never really understood the reasoning behind this move!
Me either. The only thing I could figure out is that he made Georgia really mad about something. It just made no sense at all he and watching him become "The Bus" was just another painful reminder of how badly I wanted Georgia gone.

ausmurp

Starter
Warner, and it's the best answer even if you say there is no real answer :)

Because Warner could've won us another SB. I'll still never understand that decision. So he hurt his hand...we should've put him on IR and let him heal. He got the garbage Cardinals to the SB later, he could've done the same for us.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Warner, and it's the best answer even if you say there is no real answer :)

Because Warner could've won us another SB. I'll still never understand that decision. So he hurt his hand...we should've put him on IR and let him heal. He got the garbage Cardinals to the SB later, he could've done the same for us.
He got the Cardinals to the Super Bowl 5 years after he left St. Louis, and in the meantime lost his starting job 2 more times with the Giants and Cardinals.

There was no way he was going to stay with the Rams on his salary that long without production. And a part of me shudders to think what would have happened to him if he ended up completely Bulgerized by the offensive line issues we had later. He got injured while the line was still decent.

ausmurp

Starter
He got the Cardinals to the Super Bowl 5 years after he left St. Louis, and in the meantime lost his starting job 2 more times with the Giants and Cardinals.

There was no way he was going to stay with the Rams on his salary that long without production. And a part of me shudders to think what would have happened to him if he ended up completely Bulgerized by the offensive line issues we had later. He got injured while the line was still decent.

He lost his job to young QBs who needed to play to develop though, not because he wasn't producing. Remember Eli was benched for Kurt in NY. Kurt threw up a hugh 85 rating but the hand was still healing and he fumbled a ton.

Same broken record in AZ with Linart. Two teams who spent high 1st rd picks on young QBs. It took Kurt over a yr to heal the hand, maybe closer to 2 yrs. I'm just saying I think we could've talked him into a pay cut while on IR or something. Back then our team did a lot of acting before thinking. You could compare it to what the Colts did with Manning except Manning was really really old. Kurt wasn't that old, maybe still in his late 20s...

Kurt was the best QB our team has ever had in our history and we threw him out like trash. So glad that front office cast is gone, they did some terrible things to this team...

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
He lost his job to young QBs who needed to play to develop though, not because he wasn't producing. Remember Eli was benched for Kurt in NY. Kurt threw up a hugh 85 rating but the hand was still healing and he fumbled a ton.

Same broken record in AZ with Linart. Two teams who spent high 1st rd picks on young QBs. It took Kurt over a yr to heal the hand, maybe closer to 2 yrs. I'm just saying I think we could've talked him into a pay cut while on IR or something. Back then our team did a lot of acting before thinking. You could compare it to what the Colts did with Manning except Manning was really really old. Kurt wasn't that old, maybe still in his late 20s...

Kurt was the best QB our team has ever had in our history and we threw him out like trash. So glad that front office cast is gone, they did some terrible things to this team...
I really don't see Kurt (or anyone) voluntarily taking a pay cut to stick with the Rams while someone else starts over him. The guy wanted to play.

And I still wouldn't have wanted to see him try to play without a completely healed hand behind the offensive lines that we were putting out there by the time he got better.