The Most Important Player the Rams had, and Let get-away!?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm no coach, but i don't see how Lovie Smith felt that L.Fletcher wasn't a fit for his cover 2 defense. His prototypical LB's were aggressive, smallish, speed guys and London was...well you get what i'm saying?
I'm not really buying that take.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I agree with almost all the guys mentioned so far and I would add Bruce to the list. I know his career was on it's last legs but to me there are some guys that should be lifers and Bruce was one of them. He should have never worn another teams jersey.

And of all uniforms a 49er uniform...... I always felt like I had to look away.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm no coach, but i don't see how Lovie Smith felt that L.Fletcher wasn't a fit for his cover 2 defense. His prototypical LB's were aggressive, smallish, speed guys and London was...well you get what i'm saying?
I'm not really buying that take.

didn't like seeing this either...Bettis too...hell, greene too...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wendell Tyler. Final Answer

Wendell Tyler = the most frustrating RB EVER. He had a terminal case of fumble-itus in the red zone. It got to be the case when ever he was making a fabulous run, and that ball was swinging in the air, my ulcer would start oozing blood..

..and I was only 16....

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I liked just about every post in this thread that mentioned London Fletcher. Damn, losing him was just brutal.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
The singular move that pissed me off most was the disrespect to Ike Bruce as he approached the end the annual, at that time for him, cut and resign bitch, routine from the office. He told them to suck it and unfortunately went to the whiners for like a stupid million or so. I hated that. I was forced to route for HIM when we played. Sucks.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Freddy Falsestart? Really? I can see the other two but never a fan of Freddy. Didn't he have something like five or six false starts and a couple other penalties in one game with us?
Yeah, but that was in the first game against the Titans because of Kearse. He redeemed himself in SB34.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Freddy Falsestart? Really? I can see the other two but never a fan of Freddy. Didn't he have something like five or six false starts and a couple other penalties in one game with us?
Well he did a good enough job against Jevon Kearse in two games Fisher wanted him.
We struggled for years to find his replacement,shall I list the people we went through?

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
I was okay at the time with them letting #59 walk, I saw him as a MLB who got steamrolled too often due to his size (or lack of) and I'm sure management did also (be it right or wrong)
I'll say this tho, he was a leader and an emotional one at that.

I'd have to go with Eric the Ram or Kevin Greene.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
kurt-warner.jpg

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coach Vermeil retiring will always be the missing part of the dynasty that should have been. What if Walsh would have walked away from the 49's after winning the first one? That's what happened to us. The glue that held it all together went off into the sunset only to realize it was a mistake.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

I disagree...In regards to not paying a safety 12th pick money at that time was a horrendous evaluation as Polamalu proved to be worth every penny and safeties started getting paid better as well as being drafted higher. Polamalu set the bar and Zygmunt failed there and how was it sound financial strategy on Fletcher? They could have very easily kept him, however, Jay misjudged his market value. The Fletcher debacle had nothing to do with talent evaluation fly the Rams knew damn well he was a far better linebacker than Jamie Duncan they just thought they could not afford Fletcher that falls solely on the finance guy who was Reich Marschall Zigmunt!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Coach Vermeil retiring will always be the missing part of the dynasty that should have been. What if Walsh would have walked away from the 49's after winning the first one? That's what happened to us. The glue that held it all together went off into the sunset only to realize it was a mistake.

Good call!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Very True and many have had the Great Debate of Vermeil or Martz, but it was the combination and Martz was signed on to be the Next Coach anyway so he might have waited an extra couple of years. Vermeil admitted later, it was his greatest mistake, but he went with his gut and it failed him.

Vermeil's greatest weakness was that he was loyal to a fault something old school guys (including yours truly) fall into. It was hard for Vermeil to fire guys like Jerry Rhome and force Dick Coury to retire, but John Shaw forced him to do so one of the few things Shaw got right. In the end the Rams suffered because Martz was not ready from a personnel standpoint and it showed and then the clash with Jay Zygmunt as before Zygmunt and Martz were very close.

Funny thing about Mike Martz the reason Larry Marmie was fired at Arizona State was because he did not want to fire his offensive coordinator who was????? Michael Martz...Then years later the main reason Martz was fired and the last straw between Martz & Zymunt was the hiring of Larry Marmie as defensive coordinator. Zygmunt wanted Dick Jauron and had reached out to Jauron to come in for an interview when Jauron met with Martz, Martz told him that he was sorry he had traveled to St. Louis because he already had offered the job to Larry Marmie.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Very True and many have had the Great Debate of Vermeil or Martz, but it was the combination and Martz was signed on to be the Next Coach anyway so he might have waited an extra couple of years. Vermeil admitted later, it was his greatest mistake, but he went with his gut and it failed him.

Vermeil's greatest weakness was that he was loyal to a fault something old school guys (including yours truly) fall into. It was hard for Vermeil to fire guys like Jerry Rhome and force Dick Coury to retire, but John Shaw forced him to do so one of the few things Shaw got right. In the end the Rams suffered because Martz was not ready from a personnel standpoint and it showed and then the clash with Jay Zygmunt as before Zygmunt and Martz were very close.

Funny thing about Mike Martz the reason Larry Marmie was fired at Arizona State was because he did not want to fire his offensive coordinator who was????? Michael Martz...Then years later the main reason Martz was fired and the last straw between Martz & Zymunt was the hiring of Larry Marmie as defensive coordinator. Zygmunt wanted Dick Jauron and had reached out to Jauron to come in for an interview when Jauron met with Martz, Martz told him that he was sorry he had traveled to St. Louis because he already had offered the job to Larry Marmie.
I disagree Martz was fired because he wouldn't accept a performance clause in a contract extension,they were ready to extend him at near Parcels type money with an out if his win totals dropped too low,Marmie was why the fans wanted him gone,but the final straw was the contract impasse and the public war of words over it.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I disagree Martz was fired because he wouldn't accept a performance clause in a contract extension,they were ready to extend him at near Parcels type money with an out if his win totals dropped too low,Marmie was why the fans wanted him gone,but the final straw was the contract impasse and the public war of words over it.

Concur, however, the "Marmie" hiring cemented the feud between Zygmunt & Martz and in the end Shaw went with Zygmunt and added the title of "General Manager" to a man that never touched a football in his life. It didn't help that Martz got sick as well because IMO if they have brought in a Bona Fide General Manager to work with Martz, it would've been far better than the hiring of Milquetoast Linehan.