The more I learn about Ron Rivera, the more impressed I become...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I was curious, so I googled him.

He took over a 2-14 team from '10 in '11.

Drafted Newton with the 1st overall. Got REAL lucky there. We had taken Bradford the previous year with the 1st overall. (Cough, cough). Newton struggled his first 2 years, but give Rivera credit. His staff developed Newton well.

Rivera finished 12-4 in his THIRD year as HC. Ever.

Won their division.

Went to the playoffs.

Rivera named Coach of the Year. (Might get his second this year).

Has won his division 3 years running.

Going to the SB in his fifth year as HC, probably as a big favorite.

What's my point?

The Panthers are a complete organization. They not only do a great job of identifying talent via draft and FA, but they also do a tremendous job of quickly developing their talent. The importance of quickly developing their talent cannot be overstated.

A shining example of what can be accomplished in just 3-5 years by a terrific HC and his staff.

Kudos to Ron Rivera and the Panther organization. Helluva lot easier to root for than the Patriots, huh?

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
yeah.... real lucky guy. Glad for him that his #1 overall pick QB didn't end up this way:

upload_2016-1-25_12-24-40.png

can't root for the Panthers.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Needless to say, everything is made easier when you've got a monster QB like Cam

I quite agree, jjab.

But then again, don't Rivera and his staff deserve some credit for molding THEIR lump of clay QB into what he is today?

I seem to recall that many "experts" doubted whether Newton would ever become a quality NFL QB. But look at him since '13. So there is that.

jjab360

Legend
I quite agree, jjab.

But then again, don't Rivera and his staff deserve some credit for molding THEIR lump of clay QB into what he is today?

I seem to recall that many "experts" doubted whether Newton would ever become a quality NFL QB. But look at him since '13. So there is that.
Honestly, not much. I'll give them the credit for what they've done with that defense, but there are probably a lot of other coaches who could've gotten more out of Cam this far into his career than Rivera and staff have. He's the biggest physical freak in the league with a work ethic to match and he's just now breaking out 5 years into his career? They've also really struggled with getting him receivers and an OL prior to this year.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Never will forget this game. Or forgive the Panthers for the way they played!!

I can. That team is built the way Fisher wants the Rams to be built. How many times has our team played through the whistle? How many times have we hit someone way harder than needed to make the play? How many times have we pushed other players after the play? Shoot, Courtland Finnegan pushing a players face is the only reason we beat the Redskins RG3s rookie year.

That team is what Fisher wants. Tough players on both sides of the ball, top rushing attack, and a top D.

We're slowly building that team. We have the D, we have the runningback(s), now get us a good receiver, and luck out on a QB. Maybe trade up and grab Lynch? Either way, the Rams are a few good players on offense away from finally having a complete team.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Never will forget this game. Or forgive the Panthers for the way they played!!

I'm not going to hate on the whole Panthers team, but I will hate on Mike Mitchell, now with the Steelers, who made the hit and then celebrated Bradford's torn ACL. I sure as sh!t will be smiling if he ever tears his, just as I did when I heard that dirty POS Rodney Harrison tore his.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I can. That team is built the way Fisher wants the Rams to be built. How many times has our team played through the whistle? How many times have we hit someone way harder than needed to make the play? How many times have we pushed other players after the play? Shoot, Courtland Finnegan pushing a players face is the only reason we beat the Redskins RG3s rookie year.

That team is what Fisher wants. Tough players on both sides of the ball, top rushing attack, and a top D.

We're slowly building that team. We have the D, we have the runningback(s), now get us a good receiver, and luck out on a QB. Maybe trade up and grab Lynch? Either way, the Rams are a few good players on offense away from finally having a complete team.

The first part of this quote is so true. That crap the bengals pulled to get themselves eliminated from the playoffs against Pittsburgh is exactly the kind of stuff our secondary (plus maybe Sims) have the potential to do.

RamBill

Legend
Rivera was a finalist for the Rams coaching job when they picked Linehan. The Rams also missed out on Cam Newton/Matt Stafford by one year and Andrew Luck by 1 pick. :cry:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
That crap the bengals pulled to get themselves eliminated from the playoffs against Pittsburgh is exactly the kind of stuff our secondary (plus maybe Sims) have the potential to do.

Sorry bro your statement just isn't right.

When have the Rams ever targeted opposing players? When have Rams players tried to start fights with opponents? Sure they hit hard, and sometimes it backfires and players hit their own teammates. But what the bungle players did was stupid. I don't think the Rams have every done anything remotely what they did (no Alec Ogletree boppin a football off a whiner helmet doesn't compare).

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Honestly, not much. I'll give them the credit for what they've done with that defense, but there are probably a lot of other coaches who could've gotten more out of Cam this far into his career than Rivera and staff have. He's the biggest physical freak in the league with a work ethic to match and he's just now breaking out 5 years into his career? They've also really struggled with getting him receivers and an OL prior to this year.

Gotta disagree, jjab360.

Ummm... The Rivera /Newton combo took a team that was 2-14 before they arrived to 12-4 in their THIRD year.

That's an outhouse to penthouse improvement, man.

And they haven't missed both winning their division and making the playoffs since.

How does that fare when compared to Fisher and his motley results from Bradford, Clemons, Davis, Hill, Foles, and Keenum? Talk about slow to get results. Lol.

jjab360

Legend
Gotta disagree, jjab360.

Ummm... The Rivera /Newton combo took a team that was 2-14 before they arrived to 12-4 in their THIRD year.

And they haven't missed both winning their division and making the playoffs since.

How does that fare when compared to Fisher and his motley results from Bradford, Clemons, Davis, Hill, Foles, and Keenum? Talk about slow to get results. Lol.
I'll give Rivera credit as a great defensive and running game coach, but purely on the merits of developing Cam as a passer, I think there's a lot of coaches who could've gotten him where he needs to be faster.

jjab360

Legend
Gotta disagree, jjab360.

Also, you just said it right there. It's why I still give Fisher a little benefit of the doubt. It's incredibly hard to win in this league without a QB and outside of a decent Bradford stretch for 7 games, Fisher has been working with straight trash.

You give him a star QB like Cam and I think he could put up similar results as Rivera, though 15-1 might be pushing it a little.