The MMA Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kind of reminds me of the Buster Douglas situation. He was a reputable fighter but a mere patsy for the invincible Mike Tyson. Holm knocked out Rousey like Douglas knocked out Tyson. Buster lost the title in his first defense and didn't get another title shot. And the heavyweight division wasn't the same
That's how I see this division.
Will Rousey regain her dominance? Tyson never did. Fear and intimidation won many fights for Tyson/Rousey before either stepped foot in the ring
One to watch for sure

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kind of reminds me of the Buster Douglas situation. He was a reputable fighter but a mere patsy for the invincible Mike Tyson. Holm knocked out Rousey like Douglas knocked out Tyson. Buster lost the title in his first defense and didn't get another title shot. And the heavyweight division wasn't the same
That's how I see this division.
Will Rousey regain her dominance? Tyson never did. Fear and intimidation won many fights for Tyson/Rousey before either stepped foot in the ring
One to watch for sure
some of Tyson's downfall was the death of Cus D'amato as well. i honestly believe Cus was about the only person he respected and listened to and once he was gone, poor advice just came in droves.
i dont see Rousey having those issues. i think it was a huge lesson learned for her, as i do believe she bought into the hype that she was "the greatest". she's still a top 5 black belt in judo in the world. her armbar submission is deadly and can seemingly be applied "out of nowhere". supposedly her next fight is a title fight with i would guess nunes, although cyborg justino is crying for a match (rousey/white cant really dictate weight now that she's not champ either).
even if she never regains her form, valentina shevchenko / amanda nunes have shown that there's always more talent waiting in the wings.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
some of Tyson's downfall was the death of Cus D'amato as well. i honestly believe Cus was about the only person he respected and listened to and once he was gone, poor advice just came in droves.
i dont see Rousey having those issues. i think it was a huge lesson learned for her, as i do believe she bought into the hype that she was "the greatest". she's still a top 5 black belt in judo in the world. her armbar submission is deadly and can seemingly be applied "out of nowhere". supposedly her next fight is a title fight with i would guess nunes, although cyborg justino is crying for a match (rousey/white cant really dictate weight now that she's not champ either).
even if she never regains her form, valentina shevchenko / amanda nunes have shown that there's always more talent waiting in the wings.
Well, I was more remarking about Holly Holm, who had the fight of her life against the seemingly invincible Rousey. And how eerily similar her fall from grace is to Buster Douglas. As for Rousey/Tyson comparison, well Tyson did regain both the WBC and WBA heavyweight titles, but he wasn't exactly the same. And yeah, Cus was like a father to him but the reality is that his death is kind of over rated as to the impact it left on Iron Mike. At the time he got ill, Tyson was 10-0, it was 28 fights later when his boxing world imploded
I look forward to Rousey coming back, she certainly deserves to have a title shot. Its a shame we wont get Rousey/Holm II, that would have been a blockbuster. I think UFC would be well served to add a middleweight title, instead of banking on Cyborg cutting all that weight or Rousey meeting her at a catch weight