The Marijuana Question

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It's funny how it has all changed.
From cheap stink weed with stick and rocks in it to a wide variety of very, very potent options.
I was never a big weed guy and hadn't had any in over 20 years when I jumped into the edibles deep end.....way over my head.
My interest is to get into the CBD end of the business as I have seen it have very positive effects for people in my life.

I have a friend who works for a medical company that does almost all CBD stuff, she really likes it. It's likely going to explode soon.

fearsomefour

Legend
I have a friend who works for a medical company that does almost all CBD stuff, she really likes it. It's likely going to explode soon.
I got approved for a 10,000 sq foot facility where I own property in CA. Then the county put the no go on it.
So, for now, just very small time a trying to develop/experiment with things.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
Sorry, I work for a company that has dozens of semi trucks on the road daily. That’s not going to happen and I hope it doesn’t ever happen.

You can get shitfaced on your ten or thirty four hour break at a truck stop that sells beer, then drive just fine because alcohol will be out of your system after (I believe) eight hours. I'm a truck driver. I dont drink while I'm on the road, but plenty do, and get away with it.

The problem with cannabis isn't the impact on the body imo, but how they test for it. But I assume the tests are as strict due to it's legal status.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Just as long as you don't hurt or kill anyone else when under the influence.

Many crimes get committed by people who aren't under the influence but want to get the money to get under the influence.

That has to be considered too.

Being hung over or burned out from whatever substance, is cheating them of work performance.

I agree and anyone who doesn't or never had a co-worker that stayed up late smoking weed or drinking wouldn't know that.

Yeah different symptoms the morning after but still not easy to handle.

Wake up the next day feeling good.

Not always.

The sickest I have ever been was on edibles.
Like take me to the emergency room sick.

Hahaha yes it's happened to many people. Gooooooo sloooooowwwwllllyyyyyy.

When you figure out your level then it's easy. And what is in your stomach beforehand makes a difference too.

ME:

About the pain management that is discussed. And in general to address the (literally) hundreds of things that weed is supposed to heal/cure/help.

Many things shut down your brain enough to turn off the pain. And they all have side effects, NONE are 100% safe.

If weed helped the zillions of ways people who are proponents claim that it does the drug companies would be controlling it while a black market thrived.

It's simply a different way to get buzzed like beer or wine or vodka. I've done a 180 on it and feel like it's OK to be legal.

But lets stop dressing it up like some miracle cure all. It's not and there is scant evidence it is.

People like to alter themselves with different stuff. That's all there is to it.

It has the true medicinal value of Kale. Zero. If you want to tell me it kills pain that's fine. So does 4 shots of rum. Well it doesn't stop the pain, it masks it.

Last edited:

Zodi

Hall of Fame
It has the true medicinal value of Kale. Zero. If you want to tell me it kills pain that's fine. So does 4 shots of rum. Well it doesn't stop the pain, it masks it.

Nah.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2828614/

Executive summary
  • Cannabinoids, the active components of Cannabis sativa, and endogenous cannabinoids mediate their effects through activation of specific cannabinoid receptors known as cannabinoid receptor 1 and 2 (CB1 and CB2).
  • The cannabinoid system has been shown both in vivo and in vitro to be involved in regulating the immune system through its immunomodulatory properties.
  • Cannabinoids suppress inflammatory response and subsequently attenuate disease symptoms. This property of cannabinoids is mediated through multiple pathways such as induction of apoptosis in activated immune cells, suppression of cytokines and chemokines at inflammatory sites and upregulation of FoxP3+ regulatory T cells.
  • Cannabinoids have been tested in several experimental models of autoimmune disorders such as multiple sclerosis, rheumatoid arthritis, colitis and hepatitis and have been shown to protect the host from the pathogenesis through induction of multiple anti-inflammatory pathways.
  • Cannabinoids may also be beneficial in certain types of cancers that are triggered by chronic inflammation. In such instances, cannabinoids can either directly inhibit tumor growth or suppress inflammation and tumor angiogenesis.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If weed helped the zillions of ways people who are proponents claim that it does the drug companies would be controlling it while a black market thrived.

you don't think they will position themselves once all these mc companies work through the red tape and start manufacturing their product? like i said earlier, this market is ready to boom.

bluecoconuts

Legend

I would disagree with that, I think that weed has some medicinal benefits, especially regarding mental health.

It's not some miracle cure or anything like that, like a lot of stoners want to think it is, but it definitely has some medical benefits. For example, a lot of veterans are using it for PTSD because the pills that are often prescribed will have a lot of negative side affects. Untreated PTSD can end up causing a lot of problems, and often drive veterans to suicide.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I would disagree with that, I think that weed has some medicinal benefits, especially regarding mental health.

It's not some miracle cure or anything like that, like a lot of stoners want to think it is, but it definitely has some medical benefits. For example, a lot of veterans are using it for PTSD because the pills that are often prescribed will have a lot of negative side affects. Untreated PTSD can end up causing a lot of problems, and often drive veterans to suicide.
Agreed, Marijuana absolutely has medicinal benefits for those undergoing Chemo and Radiation treatment, anyone with seizure disorder, PTSD, etc. And we probably don't know all what it can do.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
ME:

About the pain management that is discussed. And in general to address the (literally) hundreds of things that weed is supposed to heal/cure/help.

Many things shut down your brain enough to turn off the pain. And they all have side effects, NONE are 100% safe.

It's simply a different way to get buzzed like beer or wine or vodka. I've done a 180 on it and feel like it's OK to be legal.

But lets stop dressing it up like some miracle cure all. It's not and there is scant evidence it is.

People like to alter themselves with different stuff. That's all there is to it.

Oh it definitely has medicinal benefits. Saying it has the same medicinal value as kale is just ignorance. No it is not a cure it all plant. Heck it doesn’t cure anything. But ask yourself, would you rather treat yourself with something natural that grows from the earth or something artificially made in labs?

Also let’s not ignore the fact the there has been 0 instances where someone has died from overdosing on cannabis while tens of thousands die each year from opioids.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why isn’t this in off topic?

Are you all high?!!

Because it concerns NFL players and the possibility of some being suspended because of marijuana use. Any thread that morphs beyond page 2 will usually meander off the topic here and there.
**************************************************************************************
https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana-medicine

• The term medical marijuana refers to treating symptoms of illness and other conditions with the whole, unprocessed marijuana plant or its basic extracts.
  • The FDA has not recognized or approved the marijuana plant as medicine.
  • However, scientific study of the chemicals in marijuana called cannabinoids has led to two FDA-approved medications in pill form, dronabinol and nabilone, used to treat nausea and boost appetite.
  • Cannabinoids are chemicals related to delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), marijuana’s main mind-altering ingredient.
  • Currently, the two main cannabinoids from the marijuana plant that are of interest for medical treatment are THC and cannabidiol (CBD).
  • The body also produces its own cannabinoid chemicals.
  • Scientists are conducting preclinical and clinical trials with marijuana and its extracts to treat symptoms of illness and other conditions.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
you don't think they will position themselves once all these mc companies work through the red tape and start manufacturing their product? like i said earlier, this market is ready to boom.

Once it's legal everywhere the drug companies won't be able to make money on it. The ship has sailed.

Well I don't think there is any "science" regarding that, or anything else. Like I said 4 shots of rum can do the same thing.

Getting high, like getting drunk, is loosely a form of "medicating" but that doesn't make it a cure. It will mask symptoms, but lots of things can do that.

But ask yourself, would you rather treat yourself with something natural that grows from the earth or something artificially made in labs?

Opium is also natural, opioids are man made but are mimicking opium. It's cheaper and faster to make it in a lab but make no mistake it's the same thing. Beer, wine and hard liquor also come from the earth.

And nobody is "treating" themselves, they are getting high. It's not a treatment.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Just stop testing for it.

Get over NFL like most everyone else.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtDAK7Umk7A

...Dave's not here!..
Me71.jpg
...Hey Man! .. It's me Dave! Anyone been lo0kin' for me!?!
Smokin.gif

Smokin'.jpg

fearsomefour

Legend
Many crimes get committed by people who aren't under the influence but want to get the money to get under the influence.

That has to be considered too.

I agree and anyone who doesn't or never had a co-worker that stayed up late smoking weed or drinking wouldn't know that.

Yeah different symptoms the morning after but still not easy to handle.

Not always.

Hahaha yes it's happened to many people. Gooooooo sloooooowwwwllllyyyyyy.

When you figure out your level then it's easy. And what is in your stomach beforehand makes a difference too.

ME:

It is one of the best anti inflammatories in the world.
Inflammation and health/sickness. Look into it.
Have seen too many people benefit from it without the psychoactive component.
Is it a cure all miracle some propose? No.
Is it a shit ton better for many than the lab developed drugs doctors push? Hell yes.

fearsomefour

Legend
Because it concerns NFL players and the possibility of some being suspended because of marijuana use. Any thread that morphs beyond page 2 will usually meander off the topic here and there.
**************************************************************************************
https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/drugfacts/marijuana-medicine

• The term medical marijuana refers to treating symptoms of illness and other conditions with the whole, unprocessed marijuana plant or its basic extracts.
  • The FDA has not recognized or approved the marijuana plant as medicine.
  • However, scientific study of the chemicals in marijuana called cannabinoids has led to two FDA-approved medications in pill form, dronabinol and nabilone, used to treat nausea and boost appetite.
  • Cannabinoids are chemicals related to delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), marijuana’s main mind-altering ingredient.
  • Currently, the two main cannabinoids from the marijuana plant that are of interest for medical treatment are THC and cannabidiol (CBD).
  • The body also produces its own cannabinoid chemicals.
  • Scientists are conducting preclinical and clinical trials with marijuana and its extracts to treat symptoms of illness and other conditions.
I have seen first hand the amazing results these treatments can have for some.
For someone (the governmentin particular) to claim there is no medicinal benefit is just ignorance.
We all know why the government has not changed the classification ($$).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man back in the day when I would get high, we had to sift thru the dime bag to pick out all the seeds and stems and then to satisfy the munchies it was either a microwave burrito from 7-11 or drive to a bad part of town where there was a 24/7 White Castle.
Stoners have it made these days.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://thefreshtoast.com/culture/all-the-nfl-players-facing-marijuana-suspensions-this-season/

All The NFL Players Facing Marijuana Suspensions This Season
When will the league change its drug policy?
By: Brendan Bures/Sep 08, 2017

While commissioner Roger Goodell might insist otherwise, the NFL is a league with a ton of issues. One so happens to be its players’ relationship to pain and how players choose to treat that pain. Some have turned to cannabis, calling it a “Godsend,” but due to the league’s strict drug policies, it’s pushed some of its brightest stars out of the league.

Yet another player will face possible marijuana suspension, as Cleveland Browns player T.Y. McGill was charged with possession this past weekend. The league has yet to issue its own discipline over McGill’s charge, but he’s far from the only player on the outs this season because of cannabis. Here are all the players suspended this season due to marijuana.

Randy Gregory—Dallas Cowboys
The former Nebraska standout reportedly failed a seventh drug test administered by the league earlier this year, according to TMZ. He already will miss the entire 2017 season due to a previous drug test. Sources say Gregory has “drifted from football” and ignoring NFL officials who have reached out to him.

Unless the NFL changes its drug policy, it appears Gregory might be on the outs. Gregory’s suspension, it’s worth mentioning, helps explain why Cowboys owner Jerry Jones urged other NFL owners to allow players to consume marijuana for pain earlier this year.

Martavis Bryant—Pittsburgh Steelers
The premiere receiver missed all of last year, suspended without pay, due to positive weed tests. While it seemed he might be suspended this year, and reportedly was on a short leash, he received a full reinstatement this week.

Darren Waller—Baltimore Ravens
Darren Waller has never hid his relationship to marijuana. Though the bruising tight end was suspended for four games last season for a positive marijuana test, he just received a year-long suspension for another positive test this season.

Justin Gilbert—Free Agent
Justin Gilbert was hit with a year-long suspension this summer for marijuana after failing two tests within two months, but cannabis wasn’t his only problem.

Karlos Williams, Sr.—Free Agent
Sometimes, a player’s relationship with weed costs them a chance at playing in the NFL. Unfortunately that appears to be the case with former Florida State standout running back Karlos Williams, who isn’t currently signed to a team and suspended for at least one year from the league.

He last played for the Bills, where he received a four-game suspension for testing positive.

Seantrel Henderson—Buffalo Bills
Last year, Henderson received a 10-game suspension for his second positive marijuana test. But Henderson’s case differs from everyone on this list. Henderson has been diagnosed with the autoimmune disorder Crohn’s disease and medical marijuana is a common treatment for the condition. Henderson did just that.

“There is zero allowable medical exemption for this per the NFL; however, there clearly should be,” Henderson’s agent told NFL.com.

Henderson had two surgeries to remove parts of his intestines to manage the painful disease. While he will be suspended the first five games this year, reports indicate he gained a stunning 60 pounds this offseason. He weighs 340 pounds now, and he’ll start at tackle when he returns.

http://www.espn.com/espn/page2/story?page=gallo/040802

The All-Weed Team

OFFENSE

Running back: Ricky Williams, formerly of the Miami Dolphins. Led NFL in rushing in 2002 with 1,853 yards.

The All-Weed Team starts with Williams. With three failures of league drug tests on his record, the former All-Pro even admitted to the Miami Herald last week that his desire to continue smoking pot contributed to his decision to retire. That's some serious dedication to weed.

Wide receiver: Randy Moss, Minnesota Vikings. All-Pro with 8,375 receiving yards in just six seasons.

Moss tested positive for marijuana at Florida State and was kicked off the team before he enrolled at Marshall. He was also charged with possessing a small amount of marijuana in 2002 in relation to a traffic accident, but the charge was dropped after he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of careless driving and a petty misdemeanor charge of obstructing justice.

Wide receiver: Muhsin Muhammad, Carolina Panthers. Former Pro Bowler and eight-year veteran went for 140 yards and a touchdown in last year's Super Bowl.

Muhammad pleaded guilty in 2002 to misdemeanor charges of possession of marijuana and carrying a concealed weapon. He also served jail time in 1993 while at Michigan State for violating a probation he was given for possession of marijuana. Muhammad gets the starting nod over other candidates because of his multiple transgressions -- a dedication to ganja that is not taken lightly on this team.

Quarterback: Todd Marinovich, formerly of the Raiders. Played two seasons in the NFL after being a first round pick of the Raiders in 1991.

Marinovich has a long track record with marijuana, including a conviction for cultivation of the plant in 1998. That history earned him a well-deserved nickname: Todd Marijuanavich. His backup? Virginia Tech sophomore Marcus Vick, who threw for 475 yards and two touchdowns as a freshman last season but is currently suspended indefinitely in the wake of charges of marijuana possession and reckless driving.

Tight end: O.J. Santiago, Denver Broncos.. Has started 60 games in his seven-year career with four separate organizations.

Santiago was charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession in 2001 as a member of the Cleveland Browns.

Center: Mark Stepnoski, formerly of the Dallas Cowboys and Oilers organizations. Five-time Pro Bowl center retired after the 2001 season.

Stepnoski has served as president of the Texas chapter of the National Organization for the Reform of Marijuana Laws since his retirement from the game. His presence is needed both on the field and in the locker room so All-Weed Team members can learn how he managed to avoid a single positive drug test during his 13-year career.

Offensive line: Nate Newton, formerly of the Dallas Cowboys and Carolina Panthers. Six-time Pro Bowl guard retired after the 1999 season.

Despite being 42-years old and out of the game for four years, Newton receives an All-Weed Team spot. In fact, we'll name him a co-captain, along with Ricky Williams, since he was once busted driving around with 213 pounds of marijuana in his van. That's right -- pounds, not ounces.

Offensive line: Khiawatha Downey, San Francisco 49ers. Rookie tackle earned Division II All-American honors at Indiana University of PA after 2003 season.

Downey twice tested positive for marijuana while in college.

Offensive line: Marvel Smith, Pittsburgh Steelers. Fifth-year pro was a second-round draft pick in 2000.

Smith was arrested and charged with marijuana possession in 2002. He also tested positive for marijuana while at Arizona State.

Offensive line: Tra Thomas, Philadelphia Eagles. Two-time Pro Bowler has started every game he has played since joining the Eagles in 1998.

Thomas tested positive for marijuana before the 1998 NFL Draft. He claimed it was from second-hand smoke.

DEFENSE

Defensive line: Warren Sapp, Oakland Raiders. Perennial Pro Bowler has 77 sacks in his nine-year career.

Sapp admitted to a positive test for marijuana while at the University of Miami.

Defensive line: Keith Hamilton, formerly of the New York Giants. Former All-Pro had 63 sacks over 12-year career that ended after the 2003 season.

Hamilton was charged with possession of less than 50 grams of marijuana -- among other drug-related charges -- during a 2003 traffic stop.

Defensive line: Anthony Maddox, Jacksonville Jaguars Rookie from Delta State was the Gulf South Conference's defensive player of the year in 2003, and a fourth-round pick.

Originally a Florida State recruit, Maddox was arrested in 1999 for possession of marijuana.

Defensive line: Cletidus Hunt, Green Bay Packers Has 15 sacks over his five-year career.

Hunt tested positive for marijuana at the 1999 NFL scouting combine and twice more after joining the Packers, resulting in a four-game suspension without pay in 2001. His current contract mandates that he must return a portion of his signing bonus if he is suspended again.

Linebacker: Ahmad Brooks, University of Virginia. Sophomore is expected to be a top-10 pick if he comes out of school early in 2005.

The selection of Brooks is based solely on potential -- both on the field and on the pipe. He pled no contest to marijuana possession in the summer of 2003.

Linebacker: Darren Hambrick, free agent. Has been out of the game since 2002 after playing with the Cowboys, Panthers and Browns.

Hambrick was charged with fleeing a law enforcement officer and resisting an officer in 2001, after the arresting deputy smelled marijuana wafting from his vehicle during a traffic stop.

Linebacker: Cornell Brown, Baltimore Ravens. Originally a sixth-round pick, Brown has played in 96 games during his six-year career, recording seven sacks.

Brown was arrested for marijuana possession in 2001, but the charge was dropped before trial.

Defensive back: Chris McAlister, Baltimore Ravens. Pro Bowl cornerback has 14 interceptions and 224 tackles in five-year career.

McAlister was charged with possession of marijuana after police found the drug while investigating a burglary at his house.

Defensive back: Rashard Anderson, Carolina Panthers. A first-round selection in the 2000 draft.

Anderson has been suspended the last two seasons for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Defensive back: Rodney Artmore, formerly of the Packers. Made Green Bay's team as a rookie free agent in 1999.

Artmore was charged with possession of marijuana in 2000 and hasn't played in the NFL since.

Defensive back: Juran Bolden, Jacksonville Jaguars. Recorded seven interceptions over the last two years as a member of the Atlanta Falcons.

Bolden was charged in 2003 with marijuana possession and driving a stolen car, which Jacksonville apparently thought was worth a five-year, $13.4 million contract this offseason.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
It is one of the best anti inflammatories in the world.
Inflammation and health/sickness. Look into it.
Have seen too many people benefit from it without the psychoactive component.
Is it a cure all miracle some propose? No.
Is it a crap ton better for many than the lab developed drugs doctors push? Hell yes.

No, there is no evidence that marijuana has any medical use whatsoever. None other than masking which as I said 4 shots of rum can do too and nobody advocates that.

Trial after trial by any serious source has yielded essentially nothing.

It doesn't cure anything.

As far as the drugs doctors prescribe I am in partial agreement, there is a problem with our society. Too many drugs are created and doled out. That isn't to say that all medication is bad, it isn't. But we have a LOT of bad doctors that put profit over health. However weed isn't "better" than man made drugs.

Getting stoned is fine, I have no issue with it and I sometimes use edibles for fun, but claiming it does anything other than get a person high is not backed up by any real evidence or science.

It's essentially an argument that has zero merit. People like to get high, people like to drink. That's all it is.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Agreed, Marijuana absolutely has medicinal benefits for those undergoing Chemo and Radiation treatment, anyone with seizure disorder, PTSD, etc. And we probably don't know all what it can do.

According to clinical trials it does not.