The Luck of the Irish

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.independent.ie/sport/lef...super-bowl-and-sit-in-50k-seats-30957675.html

'Our game-plan was to be super confident' - Irish pair blag their way into Super Bowl and sit in $50k seats
... and get a VIP trip home
By Cormac Byrne

Sup2.jpg

Two Irish fans of American Football fans showed what an ounce of pluck can achieve when they snuck into the Super Bowl and sat in seats worth $25,000 each.

Paul McEvoy, from Cahir in Tipperary, and Richard Whelan, from Dublin, couldn't afford tickets from touts around the University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Arizona so simply walked straight through the front door.

Whelan was interviewed by the NFL Network in an effort to try to get some legit tickets but to no avail.

He later tweeted: "I fu**ing made it!! Snook in straight through the front door! NOW LET'S GO HAWKS!."

Once inside the gates, the pair got a Patriots mascot to pose with the tricolour and they met Patriots legend Lawyer Milloy in the crowd.

They ended up in the fourth row of seats, with each worth $25,000.

"Our game plan was to be super confident," Richard told RTE Radio One Morning Ireland.

"We just thought if we pretend we belong there, nobody will question us.

"Between one layer of security and another we just walked in behind these 20 first aid workers, straight up to the front door and hid in behind them.

"Paul was looking at his phone, pretending to text me, as if we had just popped out to look at an email we got or something," he continued.

"We walked past another security guard that just wasn't paying attention.

"We could see the field then, the stadium and the atmosphere was insane."

The two young men walked quickly around the stadium, not looking back in case they were being followed.

"I remember looking at Paul's face, we just couldn't believe we got in," Richard said.

The pair ended up seat-hopping for the first part of the game, using people's seats as they went to stock up on hotdogs and nachos, before they had yet another run-in with good luck.

"We spoke to this guy and told him we had sneaked in. He told us the girls beside him were in the halftime show and so wouldn't be coming back to their seats after halftime.

"So we ended up in the fourth row, sitting beside a former Super Bowl champion Lawyer Milloy who gave us a play-by-play of the game.

"It was pretty cool to have the Super Bowl champion sharing all the details," he added.

After the game, the pair skipped the queues and hopped on a VIP bus which brought them back to the street of their hotel.

"It was a good day of hustling," Richard said.

"What seemed like impossible came true."

Alas, in the end there was some disappointment for the pair as their side lost in a dramatic game.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
I am curious how each got through the initial entrance. My mind is puzzled. The rest I can totally see as feasible. It happens.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I've snuck into concerts before, there is a certain rush that goes with it. But acting confidently is the #1 thing. If you act suspicious, then people will notice you more. In fact, an old friend of mine used to shoplift from stores, and he would make large exaggerated movements, like opening his jacket as wide as he could, and making a large looping movement in front of him with the item he was going to steal, and then putting it into his wide open jacket pocket, and then closing his jacket.

FRO

Legend
I wonder if the NFL charges them now? It's one thing to do it. It's another thing to brag about it.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
If they weren't Seahawks fans I would be applauding their ingenuity. But they are, so they should be made an example of.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Irish pikee's in not paying for something shocker.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Probably upwards near $1M for security and terrorist prevention, and two Micks walk right through the front door unchecked.
lulz.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Forbes estimates city of Phoenix paid over $2 million on security.
Story says they both were Seahawk fans but one of them is wearing a Pats jersey in the pic.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Forbes estimates city of Phoenix paid over $2 million on security.
Wow. Conservative estimate on my part, eh?

I guess they were too busy profiling that night to notice Shamus O'Toole and Bobby O'Shea (obscure reference ftw).

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Wow. Conservative estimate on my part, eh?

I guess they were too busy profiling that night to notice Shamus O'Toole and Bobby O'Shea (obscure reference ftw).
Wedding Crashers?
It's Seamus nor Shamus

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Probably upwards near $1M for security and terrorist prevention, and two Micks walk right through the front door unchecked.
lulz.
Ya know theft of service in that amount is a felony in some states, and I aint talkin bout no bulldog

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
true, but I'm pretty sure the NFL won't want the negative publicity from prosecution and extradition for the felony. Plus, the folks paying for it would be the taxpayers of AZ... faux pas upon faux pas.

Better to just try to do better next time and let them be excited about the product. As of right now, it's a happy story about someone WANTING the NFL product. Why turn it into a criminal story?

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
true, but I'm pretty sure the NFL won't want the negative publicity from prosecution and extradition for the felony. Plus, the folks paying for it would be the taxpayers of AZ... faux pas upon faux pas.

Better to just try to do better next time and let them be excited about the product. As of right now, it's a happy story about someone WANTING the NFL product. Why turn it into a criminal story?
WADR I am not "turning it into anything" it is a felony and FWIW as far as I'm concerned cuz I have this quirk where I actually think laws exist for a reason, I would not see any negative publicity among people who believe in the rule of law.
Now whether the state wants to pursue it ardunno, but there are people who spent virtually all their vacation budget to get in that game and although I don't enjoy using the F word ,how is it fair to them ?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WADR I am not "turning it into anything" it is a felony and FWIW as far as I'm concerned cuz I have this quirk where I actually think laws exist for a reason, I would not see any negative publicity among people who believe in the rule of law.
Now whether the state wants to pursue it ardunno, but there are people who spent virtually all their vacation budget to get in that game and although I don't enjoy using the F word ,how is it fair to them ?

They got into the game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The NFL should file charges if they can to make an example of them to deter it happening again in the near future.

Just think how many people will be trying this at regular games knowing that two guys did it at the biggest, most secure game of he year. Next years SuperBowl will have more party crashes now.

Not that I care personally becaus he NFaiL is ripping off the entire country by allowing the Patriots cheating ways nd by overcharging for everything. So, I am glad someone stuck it to them in some small way.