The Los Angeles Rams' Top 5 Young Prospects

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2019/05/22/The-Los-Angeles-Rams-Top-5-Young-Prospects

When it comes to the NFL, the term "prospect" isn't necessarily a popular term like in baseball, hockey, or even in the NBA. The NFL doesn't have a developmental league and upon being drafted, rookies are expected to start right away unlike in baseball or hockey where they may spend a few years in the minor leagues.

However, that doesn't mean young talent doesn't matter in the NFL. With rookie contracts being the biggest bargain for any NFL general manager, drafting well and having talented young players may be more important now than ever before. With that said, here are the Los Angeles Rams' best young prospects that are headed into their third year or less that are most important to the team's future.

1. WR Cooper Kupp, 3rd Year

Since arriving in Los Angeles, Kupp has not only been a fan favorite, but a favorite of Jared Goff's as well. Kupp led Rams receivers in receptions as a rookie and was on pace to do so once again before tearing his ACL midway through his second year.

Kupp will never be this team's number one wide receiver as that will always be Brandin Cooks, however, he might be the most important receiver. In games Kupp played, Goff completed 69.6 percent percent of his passes while throwing for 2,637 yards, 17 touchdowns, six interceptions, and averaging 9.7 yards per attempt.

In game's without Kupp, Goff completed just 58.5% of his passes for 2,266, 11 touchdown, and eight interceptions. The Rams quarterback averaged 6.76 yards per attempt with a passer rating of 80.6. It's hard to question the importance of Kupp in the Rams' offense.

2. S John Johnson, 3rd Year

John Johnson might be one of the best up-and-coming safeties in the NFL. According to Pro Football Focus, Johnson tied for seventh in Interceptions, tied for fourth in tackles among defensive backs and had the fifth-best coverage grade among safeties. In today's NFL it is important to have a safety that can cover everybody. Johnson is a guy that you can put on a running back like Kamara or a tight end like Rob Gronkowski.

Johnson showed promise as a rookie and continued that development and became very good in his second year. He's emerged as one of the NFL's best coverage safeties as he's displayed great coverage ability while being a sure-fire tackler. Having Eric Weddle will only push him to that next level.

3. TE Gerald Everett, 3rd Year

The 2017 draft was a good one for Les Snead and the Rams. Gerald Everett started that trend. Year three will be a big one for Everett as he hasn't done more than just show flashes, but there is little question that the talent is there. He needs to show more on a consistent basis which should be his goal for year three.

4. T Joseph Noteboom, 2nd year

Noteboom didn't get a lot of work as a rookie, but during the preseason he showed what kind of promise he brings. He didn't allow a single pressure in the preseason which is an impressive feat despite it being the preseason. Andrew Whitworth is most likely in his last year with the Rams, meaning Noteboom is the left tackle of the future. He'll get work at guard this season with the departure of Rodger Saffold, but he'll be ready to step in on the blind side when his name is called.

5. RB Darrell Henderson, Rookie

We haven't seen anything from Henderson outside of the short video coming from Rams OTA's. However, not only is he important to the Rams' future, he may be one of their more promising prospects as well. With the concerns surrounding Todd Gurley's knee, Henderson will supplement and take a load off of Gurley right away. And if the injury is worse than all fans hope, Henderson may just be the team's running back of the future.

What the rookie running back out of Memphis brings to the table however is unmatched. His similarities to Alvin Kamara and Kareem Hunt are parallel and he will bring another dimension to an already creative Sean McVay offense. Henderson was knocked for poor vision in the pre-draft process, but might be the biggest home-run hitter there is. He brings versatility and adds a talented piece to an already talent offense.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Ugh.... the writing is so bad that I couldn't even finish it, just read the players names. Pretty obvious stuff, but I agree with @Ramstien that Allen should be on the list.

Ram65

Legend

Interesting article.

I wouldn't call players that have started and had solid production prospects. That would eliminate Kupp and Johnson from my top five as they are proven players. Everett is right on the boarder line. He has not done enough yet, so I would consider him a prospect that needs to step up this year. Rookies and players that have not seen the field or played only on special teams are all prospects. I would go along with Henderson being in the top five as far as importance. The article covers the why with the need to help take the load off of Todd Gurely. I think all the rookies are important for the future. Second round pick Safety Rapp should be on the list but, you could argue for most of the rookie glass . I would look to the second year players that are expected to start or contribute significantly as they will be tested on the field to take over for veteran players.

The Rams have two second year players scheduled to start as of this moment. Both Offensive Lineman Noteboom and Allen have to be in the top five. Two defensive lineman are expected to contribute significantly are Franklin-Meyers and Joseph-Day which gets them on the list. Currently, ILBer Kisar is expected to start so he should be on the list even though there are mixed opinions on his ability to keep the job. I got seven names in bold print that I would put on the list. The Rams have a lot of good prospects that there is no reason to limit the list to only five players. The article does get you thinking of all the young talent the Rams are mining to help keep the franchise in the annual Super Bowl hunt,

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, all of us know how big Henderson will be, he'll either spell Gurley to keep him fresh for post season or work in concert with Malcolm Brown to give the Los Angeles Rams thunder & lightning, let's hope Gurley's knee with less of a workload and a drop in weight will keep him clicking on all cylinders.

John Johnson is already there, he was an asset from the first day he started. Joseph Noteboom proved he was no ordinary Joe during preseason. Looking like he belonged and the time he did get proved he was ready for increased playing time, however, he's replacing the Rams best offensive linemen from last season in Rodger Saffold.

Everyone is waiting on Gerald Everett to make more of an impact and this might just be the breakthrough year. Has looked stellar thus far during OTA's and hopefully the light has gone on because Everett showcases talent and his ability to run because of being a former running back is also an asset and the addition of TE Coach Wes Phillips should give this unit a jolt in production.

The additions to the coaching staff will aid some of the players development as well IMO...Wes Phillips the new TE Coach, should aid Everett & Higbee, while maybe finding the next Derrick Carrier in UDRFA TE from Mizzou in Kendall Blanton and new Defensive Line Coach Eric Henderson "Coach Henny." who has already received praise from Aaron Donald & Sebastian Joseph-Day two different ends of the spectrum at the DL position, so that bodes well for this unit moving forward.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Agreed that both Kupp and JJ, while young, are hardly “prospects”. They are Pro Bowl level players already and are among the Ram core players.

Some left off the list but could emerge:

JFM
Joseph-Day
Brian Allen
Micah Kiser
Greg Gaines

All should either start or be strong rotational contributors THIS year.

By next year?

David Long
Taylor Rapp
Evans and/or Edwards at OG
Obo perhaps?

That’s 4 more potential second year starters or strong contributors (Obo)

There’s been some seriously good drafting and developing going on since Snead and McVay got together, y’all.

I mean, SERIOUSLY good.

oldnotdead

Legend
Les Snead has become one of the most underrated GM's in the NFL. He was a rookie GM in 2012 and he has really honed his drafting skills ever since. But I agree that since his pairing with McVay, things have gone to the next level. I've never really seen a GM & HC able to glean talent from virtually all rounds of the draft. This reveals some serious ability to evaluate talent. It also reveals that they have a plan and it all starts with McVay's vision of the team he wants.

The thing I've noted above all else is their focus upon two things when they draft. Talent/athleticism and scheme fit. They focus upon players that are athletic but are fits for McVay's scheme. Which explains why rookies seem to develop quickly, because they aren't being expected to do something beyond their performance envelop.

It's amazing and so much fun to watch.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Les Snead has become one of the most underrated GM's in the NFL. He was a rookie GM in 2012 and he has really honed his drafting skills ever since. But I agree that since his pairing with McVay, things have gone to the next level. I've never really seen a GM & HC able to glean talent from virtually all rounds of the draft. This reveals some serious ability to evaluate talent. It also reveals that they have a plan and it all starts with McVay's vision of the team he wants.

The thing I've noted above all else is their focus upon two things when they draft. Talent/athleticism and scheme fit. They focus upon players that are athletic but are fits for McVay's scheme. Which explains why rookies seem to develop quickly, because they aren't being expected to do something beyond their performance envelop.

It's amazing and so much fun to watch.

Yeah, Snead and McVay are practically perfect for each other.

Snead finds out exactly the player types that McVay is looking for then goes out and finds them via draft, FA, and trades.

McVay and his crack coaching staff take these players and accelerates their development like few other staffs.

Helluva symbiotic relationship.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
https://www.downtownrams.com/single-post/2019/05/22/The-Los-Angeles-Rams-Top-5-Young-Prospects

When it comes to the NFL, the term "prospect" isn't necessarily a popular term like in baseball, hockey, or even in the NBA. The NFL doesn't have a developmental league and upon being drafted, rookies are expected to start right away unlike in baseball or hockey where they may spend a few years in the minor leagues.

However, that doesn't mean young talent doesn't matter in the NFL. With rookie contracts being the biggest bargain for any NFL general manager, drafting well and having talented young players may be more important now than ever before. With that said, here are the Los Angeles Rams' best young prospects that are headed into their third year or less that are most important to the team's future.

1. WR Cooper Kupp, 3rd Year

Since arriving in Los Angeles, Kupp has not only been a fan favorite, but a favorite of Jared Goff's as well. Kupp led Rams receivers in receptions as a rookie and was on pace to do so once again before tearing his ACL midway through his second year.

Kupp will never be this team's number one wide receiver as that will always be Brandin Cooks, however, he might be the most important receiver. In games Kupp played, Goff completed 69.6 percent percent of his passes while throwing for 2,637 yards, 17 touchdowns, six interceptions, and averaging 9.7 yards per attempt.

In game's without Kupp, Goff completed just 58.5% of his passes for 2,266, 11 touchdown, and eight interceptions. The Rams quarterback averaged 6.76 yards per attempt with a passer rating of 80.6. It's hard to question the importance of Kupp in the Rams' offense.

2. S John Johnson, 3rd Year

John Johnson might be one of the best up-and-coming safeties in the NFL. According to Pro Football Focus, Johnson tied for seventh in Interceptions, tied for fourth in tackles among defensive backs and had the fifth-best coverage grade among safeties. In today's NFL it is important to have a safety that can cover everybody. Johnson is a guy that you can put on a running back like Kamara or a tight end like Rob Gronkowski.

Johnson showed promise as a rookie and continued that development and became very good in his second year. He's emerged as one of the NFL's best coverage safeties as he's displayed great coverage ability while being a sure-fire tackler. Having Eric Weddle will only push him to that next level.

3. TE Gerald Everett, 3rd Year

The 2017 draft was a good one for Les Snead and the Rams. Gerald Everett started that trend. Year three will be a big one for Everett as he hasn't done more than just show flashes, but there is little question that the talent is there. He needs to show more on a consistent basis which should be his goal for year three.

4. T Joseph Noteboom, 2nd year

Noteboom didn't get a lot of work as a rookie, but during the preseason he showed what kind of promise he brings. He didn't allow a single pressure in the preseason which is an impressive feat despite it being the preseason. Andrew Whitworth is most likely in his last year with the Rams, meaning Noteboom is the left tackle of the future. He'll get work at guard this season with the departure of Rodger Saffold, but he'll be ready to step in on the blind side when his name is called.

5. RB Darrell Henderson, Rookie

We haven't seen anything from Henderson outside of the short video coming from Rams OTA's. However, not only is he important to the Rams' future, he may be one of their more promising prospects as well. With the concerns surrounding Todd Gurley's knee, Henderson will supplement and take a load off of Gurley right away. And if the injury is worse than all fans hope, Henderson may just be the team's running back of the future.

What the rookie running back out of Memphis brings to the table however is unmatched. His similarities to Alvin Kamara and Kareem Hunt are parallel and he will bring another dimension to an already creative Sean McVay offense. Henderson was knocked for poor vision in the pre-draft process, but might be the biggest home-run hitter there is. He brings versatility and adds a talented piece to an already talent offense.

"Kupp will never be this team's number one wide receiver..."

Wrong. Kupp could easily lead the team in catches, first down conversions, and TDs. I get that the receivers work in tandem, that Cooks Woods and Kupp are almost unstoppable together, and that Cooks and Woods have more downfield speed. I love all of them. But it's just not correct to label him as somehow less valuable than the other guys. It would not surprise me to see Kupp making repeated pro bowls going forward.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Ugh.... the writing is so bad that I couldn't even finish it, just read the players names. Pretty obvious stuff, but I agree with @Ramstien that Allen should be on the list.

Agreed. Impossible to read. Not to mention unfocused in terms of what it's trying to say. Kupp is already one of the best slot men in the league. Johnson is a plus starter at safety. Those two guys have no place in that type of article.

Everette maybe. He does still have something to show. But there's a reason a lot of those wannabe sites aren't saved on my browser.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I would've put Ebukam over Henderson. I think that Ebukam has untapped potential still, as he was absolutely dominant versus the Chiefs and is a solid run defender.