The Jeff Fisher Show 09-09-2013 (40:36)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
[101]https://soundcloud.com/101sports/the-jeff-fisher-show-09-09[/101]

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
bluecoconuts said:
No video this year? Lazy bastards.
Yeah, it takes a day or two for them to post it, but I'm sure it'll be up on Vimeo real soon.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Interesting quote on BQ by Fish. Something to the effect of "If Quick stops running his route right and there's a four yard shot to Cook, that's where it's going to go". Makes me wonder if Quick is still having problems running the right routes. I don't mean to stir any shit up on Quick, because IMO when he has the ball in his hands he's a real weapon, but it makes me think the lights are still not on. I get that he is still young and historically many receivers really started to come on in year three and beyond. I just have very high hopes for BQuick and see potential greatness when he actually makes a play. Yeah - I'm a fan and not a pro but I see plays like his one catch Sunday and a couple of his catches last season and see a real monster in the making. Unfortunately, NFL history is littered with guys who look to have all the tools but fail to put them all together. Sure hope BQ is not another one of them.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Johnny on the spot, Slushy. :yeh:

Thanks man.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
Interesting quote on BQ by Fish. Something to the effect of "If Quick stops running his route right and there's a four yard shot to Cook, that's where it's going to go". Makes me wonder if Quick is still having problems running the right routes. I don't mean to stir any shit up on Quick, because IMO when he has the ball in his hands he's a real weapon, but it makes me think the lights are still not on. I get that he is still young and historically many receivers really started to come on in year three and beyond. I just have very high hopes for BQuick and see potential greatness when he actually makes a play. Yeah - I'm a fan and not a pro but I see plays like his one catch Sunday and a couple of his catches last season and see a real monster in the making. Unfortunately, NFL history is littered with guys who look to have all the tools but fail to put them all together. Sure hope BQ is not another one of them.
I saw him run a couple sloppy routes, unfortunately.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:
Interesting quote on BQ by Fish. Something to the effect of "If Quick stops running his route right and there's a four yard shot to Cook, that's where it's going to go". Makes me wonder if Quick is still having problems running the right routes. I don't mean to stir any shyte up on Quick, because IMO when he has the ball in his hands he's a real weapon, but it makes me think the lights are still not on. I get that he is still young and historically many receivers really started to come on in year three and beyond. I just have very high hopes for BQuick and see potential greatness when he actually makes a play. Yeah - I'm a fan and not a pro but I see plays like his one catch Sunday and a couple of his catches last season and see a real monster in the making. Unfortunately, NFL history is littered with guys who look to have all the tools but fail to put them all together. Sure hope BQ is not another one of them.

I think you misinterpreted Fishers comments regarding Quick. He was making a point of them "only having one ball", and he didn't say that if Quick "stops running his route", he pointed out that by him running his route, that will open things up for Cook, which is WHAT HAPPENED.

Fisher was asked a direct question about Quick, which is where this comment came from, and he pointed out that he was very impressed with the catch and run to get the ball to the 1 yard line. And they he "played half the snaps" sort of implying that the question being asked about Quick "being hurt" was sort of ridiculous.

Brian Quick is, and will continue to be a big part of what they want to do offensively. That he wasn't targeted much in this game was more part and parcel to what AZ was doing to take the wideouts away, and the Rams focus of exploiting the mismatch that Cook presented.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:
Interesting quote on BQ by Fish. Something to the effect of "If Quick stops running his route right and there's a four yard shot to Cook, that's where it's going to go". Makes me wonder if Quick is still having problems running the right routes. I don't mean to stir any shyte up on Quick, because IMO when he has the ball in his hands he's a real weapon, but it makes me think the lights are still not on. I get that he is still young and historically many receivers really started to come on in year three and beyond. I just have very high hopes for BQuick and see potential greatness when he actually makes a play. Yeah - I'm a fan and not a pro but I see plays like his one catch Sunday and a couple of his catches last season and see a real monster in the making. Unfortunately, NFL history is littered with guys who look to have all the tools but fail to put them all together. Sure hope BQ is not another one of them.

I think you misinterpreted Fishers comments regarding Quick. He was making a point of them "only having one ball", and he didn't say that if Quick "stops running his route", he pointed out that by him running his route, that will open things up for Cook, which is WHAT HAPPENED.

Fisher was asked a direct question about Quick, which is where this comment came from, and he pointed out that he was very impressed with the catch and run to get the ball to the 1 yard line. And they he "played half the snaps" sort of implying that the question being asked about Quick "being hurt" was sort of ridiculous.

Brian Quick is, and will continue to be a big part of what they want to do offensively. That he wasn't targeted much in this game was more part and parcel to what AZ was doing to take the wideouts away, and the Rams focus of exploiting the mismatch that Cook presented.
What did you think of Quick's routes, were you able to rewatch them?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:

The one route that sort of surprised me was the underneath crossing route. I think it surprised him as well, when the ball was thrown to him. He cut that route short, and even if he were to have been able to make the catch, he would have been short of the 1st down.

Beyond that, it was pretty clear to me, that both Quick and Givens were running "clearing routes" most of the day, with little expectation to get the ball thrown in their direction.

The "pick route" where he got the ball to the goalline, I thought he did a good job of selling the "curl" without making the pick obvious (something Pettis didn't do in the same situation in the Preseason).

The play that no one has mentioned, was RedZone incompletion the Pettis. They had Quick one on one on the other side of the field, (they were in a bunch to the right) so the safeties had to over play that side. Bradford didn't even look there. Quick had a 5'10 CB on him and beat him off the LOS, only to have Bradford air mail it to Pettis.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:

The one route that sort of surprised me was the underneath crossing route. I think it surprised him as well, when the ball was thrown to him. He cut that route short, and even if her were to have been able to make the catch, he would have been short of the 1st down.

Beyond that, it was pretty clear to me, that both Quick and Givens were running "clearing routes" most of the day, with little expectation to get the ball thrown in their direction.

The "pick route" where he got the ball to the goalline, I thought he did a good job of selling the "curl" without making the pick obvious (something Pettis didn't do in the same situation in the Preseason).

The play that no one has mentioned, was RedZone incompletion the Pettis. They had Quick one on one on the other side of the field, (they were in a bunch to the right) so the safeties had to over play that side. Bradford didn't even look there. Quick had a 5'10 CB on him and beat him off the LOS, only to have Bradford air mail it to Pettis.
Yes, the underneath route is the one that really stands out. He cut it short, and didn't get enough depth, he allowed the corner to muscle him up, which can't happen with Quick.

On the other play that you mentioned, they had the Badger on Pettis, we should win that, but on the other hand, if Sam would have looked to Quick next, he would have been sacked, because the throw was rushed when Richardson missed the blitz pick up, and if the blitz wouldn't have come, the play was probably designed for Richardson to leak out in the flat zone. So, I'm thinking you must have wanted that as a read/change, first option? Seems to me like Shotty likes to flood zones a lot.

I still haven't heard what you and 503 are debating, I'm still listening to the segment.

edit: CoachO, I agree with your interpretation on that play, it might have even been a hypothetical play. Sam will go the the bigger gain was the point.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:

Always could be the case but his statement really stood out to me. I have heard all the "only one ball" comments ad infinitum and heard him talk glowingly about the one catch Quick DID make but I listened to it again. He says exactly, "if Brian Quick quits running his route right...". Maybe that has no meaning. But statements like that generally don't come out of nowhere.

Again, I'm not saying BQ isn't starting to get it or can't be THAT guy. I've always been in his camp. I listened to that whole interview and when Fish said that, it stuck out like a sore thumb to me. Many of us wonder why he doesn't get many targets. If he's not where he supposed to be, that can have a lot to do with it.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
RamFan503 said:
CoachO said:
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:

Always could be the case but his statement really stood out to me. I have heard all the "only one ball" comments ad infinitum and heard him talk glowingly about the one catch Quick DID make but I listened to it again. He says exactly, "if Brian Quick quits running his route right...". Maybe that has no meaning. But statements like that generally don't come out of nowhere.

Again, I'm not saying BQ isn't starting to get it or can't be THAT guy. I've always been in his camp. I listened to that whole interview and when Fish said that, it stuck out like a sore thumb to me. Many of us wonder why he doesn't get many targets. If he's not where he supposed to be, that can have a lot to do with it.

Trust me, from everything I watched throughout training camp, there was NO one who got more targets than Brian Quick. (who wasn't named Cook).

I will not begin to read anything into Sundays game in terms of "targets".

Bradford completed 27 passes. How many of them were to WRs? How many went to TEs or RBs?

It has very little to do with where Quick is or isn't in terms of his development. and everything to do with the gameplan.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
CoachO said:
It has very little to do with where Quick is or isn't in terms of his development. and everything to do with the gameplan.

Hope so as I really like what I've seen at times. I know you went to all the practices that were open to the public. Totally dug your reports. Just seemed odd for Fish to phrase his response that way if there was nothing to it.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
CoachO said:

Hope so as I really like what I've seen at times. I know you went to all the practices that were open to the public. Totally dug your reports. Just seemed odd for Fish to phrase his response that way if there was nothing to it.
I think he says, "If Brian Qwirck...Quick is running his route right, and the coverage takes Sam to to Cook..." IMO, he says Quick twice, because he kind of mangled it the first time, a stammer, like when he said to twice in the same sentence.

Now, did he have meaning when he says "if he runs the right route" I think he may have snuck that in on purpose. He's cagey like that.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:
CoachO said:

I think he says, "If Brian Qwirck...Quick is running his route right, and the coverage takes Sam to to Cook..." IMO, he says Quick twice, because he kind of mangled it the first time, a stammer, like when he said to twice in the same sentence.

Now, did he have meaning when he says "if he runs the right route" I think he may have snuck that in on purpose. He's cagey like that.

In the context of the question, and saying they only have one ball, I seriously doubt he had any "hidden" meaning behind that. Especially when you seen him make a point of saying he "played half the snaps".

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:
CoachO said:

I could see that. I am not looking for some conspiracy or a reason to bag on Quick. I just think people - especially someone like Fish - use words for a reason. Yeah - sometimes they mean nothing or are a mis-statement but this didn't seem like that kind of deal. Now I will say that I think you're right in that he seems to say Quick twice not "quit" like I thought at first. Still think there was a bit of a message there. But oh well.

Still think we're going to see more of BQ this season as Ds try to take away Cook, Tavon, and Givens. That is if BQ doesn't quit running his routes right. :7up:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
RamFan503 said:
DR RAM said:
RamFan503 said:
CoachO said:

I could see that. I am not looking for some conspiracy or a reason to bag on Quick. I just think people - especially someone like Fish - use words for a reason. Yeah - sometimes they mean nothing or are a mis-statement but this didn't seem like that kind of deal. Now I will say that I think you're right in that he seems to say Quick twice not "quit" like I thought at first. Still think there was a bit of a message there. But oh well.

Still think we're going to see more of BQ this season as Ds try to take away Cook, Tavon, and Givens. That is if BQ doesn't quit running his routes right. :7up:
:rofl: