The inconvenient conversation (aka Gurley conundrum)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

MountainRam

Rookie
Is Gurely the next Adrian Peterson or better? is he once in a generation player? If yes, what explains the lull the last 5 weeks?

The usual suspects for dip in his performance are: bad OL and passing game struggles

For me, it appears Gurley needs good OL play to raise his game. In the last 5 weeks if he is once in a generation player, is it unreasonable to expect Gurely to give this struggling offense a lift by gaining 120+ tough yards? It is unreasonable to expect Gurley to take over 5 out of 5 games.

So, I am coming around to the suspicion that Gurely may be another good RB (like Demarco Murray) and has been schemed out by defensive coordinators. He will have his moments but for continued brilliance he needs to raise his game. Period. We need to wait and see if this happens.

I will be happy to eat crow if Gurley becomes the next AP or better. But for now it' a conundrum worth watching.

bskrilla

Starter
Is Gurely the next Adrian Peterson or better? is he once in a generation player? If yes, what explains the lull the last 5 weeks?

The usual suspects for dip in his performance are: bad OL and passing game struggles

For me, it appears Gurley needs good OL play to raise his game. In the last 5 weeks if he is once in a generation player, is it unreasonable to expect Gurely to give this struggling offense a lift by gaining 120+ tough yards? It is unreasonable to expect Gurley to take over 5 out of 5 games.

So, I am coming around to the suspicion that Gurely may be another good RB (like Demarco Murray) and has been schemed out by defensive coordinators. He will have his moments but for continued brilliance he needs to raise his game. Period. We need to wait and see if this happens.

I will be happy to eat crow if Gurley becomes the next AP or better. But for now it' a conundrum worth watching.

I'm of the opinion that Gurley needs A FUCKING OL to raise his game. Like literally just some guys that can sometimes block someone. Also it wouldn't hurt if we had anything resembling even a high school passing attack.

Are you for real with this shit? Like seriously....

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
He hasn't even been getting carries lately, for some unknown reason. On the few carries he has gotten, he has unsurprisingly been tackled in the backfield because our offensive line cannot block anyone. That's all there is to it. Yes, he is an amazing talent. AP will go down as one of the very best all-time, so I don't know if Gurley will be as good as him or not when it is all said and done, but the dude will be among the top RBs for years to come. That's enough for me to be happy with the pick.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Too early for the AP comparisons but the fact is that no RB, or QB for that matter, will do much without a competent O line. Any coach and FO that does not know this is doomed to failure.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
It's really not that complicated. Defenses can easily put 7, 8, 9 NFL caliber athletes in the box, and can virtually ignore the passing game because our QB isn't accurate enough to hit wide open receivers, even if he can find them. Couple that with an offensive line that is very inexperienced and has no continuity due to injuries, and you have a situation where not even a hall-of-fame back at his absolute peak could do anything. Throw in an OC who seems to used up the early magic that created good situations for Gurley, and you've got a recipe for going nowhere.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Well 3 of the last 4 games he's had 12, 9 and 9 carries. You ain't going to make a lot of hay on single digit carries.

This offense is inept in ways that I've never known. And I'm a Rams fan, so believe me, I've seen some shit. When Jackson was playing on those god awful Linehan and Spags offenses, he still had Holt, Bulger, Bradford...some form of functioning offensive threat. Plus he had experience, something Gurley has little of.

Trust me man. He's the absolute least of this team's worries.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Well 3 of the last 4 games he's had 12, 9 and 9 carries. You ain't going to make a lot of hay on single digit carries.

This offense is inept in ways that I've never known. And I'm a Rams fan, so believe me, I've seen some crap. When Jackson was playing on those god awful Linehan and Spags offenses, he still had Holt, Bulger, Bradford...some form of functioning offensive threat. Plus he had experience, something Gurley has little of.

Trust me man. He's the absolute least of this team's worries.

Not only that, but they aren't even throwing him the ball like they should. He's a pretty good receiver, too.

Varg6

Starter
Name
Jake
No, it's more like...defenses stack the box and aren't afraid of our receivers. They know we won't complete many passes and that we want to run the ball. We also have the most unimaginative offense with even worse play calling...But regardless, if Gurley had some damn playmakers, better QB play and OL he'd be doing wonders for us, I know it.